Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anybody got wood grain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anybody got wood grain?

does anyone have a wood grain dash kit?? any pictures?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dave, toy_xbox or something like that does.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aww man i wanna know how it looks. i wanna know if it looks cheap or what.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

his sure doesn't look cheap. it probably wasn't either. i was looking for a pic, but couldn't find it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...272&highlight=

here, check his post.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Moved to interior.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anybody got wood grain?

Originally Posted by bbsukidesu
does anyone have a wood grain dash kit?? any pictures?
I looked at all the wood dash kit sites - AAA Exotic, Alpha, AutoAnything, AutoMega, Wood Dash Experts and Veneerz. Some sites don't work so well, some phone numbers and emails don't answer, some sites don't have photos or videos, and some prices are pretty high. I just wanted to do the central dash.

I chose Veneerz because they had the cheapest kit, the Basic Kit for $71:

The Veneerz Basic kit does the central dash (not the silver sides), the lighting controls, the vents and all the door controls. I only applied the central dash because:
1. I thought the wood central dash looked best alone, and those pieces also did not require adhesion promoter.
2. Little wood rings on the two black vents would look odd.
3. The wood on the door controls would not completely cover the silver edges, looking fake, and those controls flex when removed, so adhesion promoter would have to be used, which I did not want.

The instructions were not clear or consistent on whether and why adhesion promoter should be used, or whether it should be used all over or sparingly, and only one tube was included. I concluded that promoter need only be used if Armorall had ever been used on a surface, or if the surface was ever going to flexed. If the promoter is used, the trim cannot be removed wthout ruining the dash or control surfaces. If not used, the trim can be removed with a heat gun and the residue cleaned off with adhesive cleaners.

The instructions described the application OK, but I also found this nice application video on a competitor's web site:
http://www.customautotrim.com/dashkits/Scion/

I cleaned my new car's dash with alcohol, and pre-positioned the pieces to get a feel of what looked best and what not to do. Then I applied them. They went on perfectly and stuck tightly.

Later I had an email exchange with Veeerz. They feel that it is safest to always use the promoter, and I said they did not include enough it was to be applied solidy behind large pieces. They sent me more tubes, which I will save with the remaining pieces which I am not going to use.

If you order a kit and have ever used Armorall, ask for extra adhesive promoter. Apparently cleaning with adhesive remover and then alcohol cannot alone ensure long term adhesion, especially on pieces that may be flexed in service, and the promoter should be used.

The material is thick, soft, flexible urethane with a peel off backing covering 3M adhesive. The pieces are perfectly cut, and flexibly conform to any surface. The adhesive is grabby, but pieces can be partly and lightly adhered and then pulled off if needed to reposition. Once the piece has completely touched the dash, there is too much bonded area and removing it might damage it. After pieces are pressed on, the bond is very strong and continues to set up for a day or two.

I think the Veneerz wood kit adds a nice visual centerpiece to the dash, framed by the silver vent strips. And the price is right.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bbsukidesu
aww man i wanna know how it looks. i wanna know if it looks cheap or what.
Here is a link I have a couple of Interior shots, it is real Japanese Cherry wood from AAA Exotic.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...244&highlight=

Hope that helps ya,
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its called platinum wood on the veneerz site, but can someone tell me the name of the closest wood alike. I need it if I decided to get some pergo pieces and fab and add some other stuff to match with it.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anybody got wood grain?

Originally Posted by vintage42
...I concluded that promoter need only be used if Armorall had ever been used on a surface, or if the surface was ever going to flexed. If the promoter is used, the trim cannot be removed wthout ruining the dash or control surfaces. If not used, the trim can be removed with a heat gun and the residue cleaned off with adhesive cleaners....
I just want to make it clear that since I had clean new surfaces that had never been Armoralled, I did not use the adhesive promoter. I was and am a little afraid of it.