Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

anyone figure out how to install a runabout unit yet??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default anyone figure out how to install a runabout unit yet??

i have a runabout unit ...there's another guy out here who has one as well..and i cant seem to figure it out...anyone have this installed or plan to install it?? please help
Old 03-15-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wtf is a runabout unit?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's a relay flasher that you can control the speed from...blinkers go fast or slow...ill post a pic...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here you go any help...

Old 03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Where

Where did you find this? There are none on ebay. Me likes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

there is a similar one on ebay that is like a cop flasher relay. It is suppose to connect into the relay box to the original blinkers and you tap it into that box. where the box is and exactly what wires i don't know, so i hope someone replys with directions or a walk through.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found this at sema awhile back like 3-5 years ago from a company called ichiban i think it's lj garcia's company...i asked them how i get this prouduct they told me ask a store but no store ever heard of it they laughed...so i was at the fair grounds car show in san jose and the same company was there selling this parts but this part wasnt for sale...figures...i then went out to stockton to my parents house to have my step dad help me install a clucth on my 90 teg..and figured hey ill go to the shop that lowered my teg to see what they got ...and there it was sitting there calling my name...so i bought it ,never seen one since...theres only one more guy on here that i know that has one as well...i t took me bout a year to get it...and crappy thing is that when i asked the company they said they would retail for bout 20 bucks but when i bought from the shop in stockton i paid bout50....i had this im my teg for bout a year then sold the teg and got the box...the teg relay has 3 prongs wich took me bout 10 min and 3 fuses later to figure out but on the box it has bout7 and the flasher is integerated so i dont know if i just plug it in like i did with the teg if it will blow anything else....i jaut wanna be safe but if i cant get any help im just gonna go for it...sorry so long
Old 03-15-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what you do is remove the old flasher relay stock one and plug these wires in there instead..no tapping reqired....this unit has only 3 wires red,blue,black....the balck is ground ..but dont know what the red and blue are....thats what i need to figure out.....
Old 03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mine has a green, black, and red. Of course the black is ground, red is power, and green is to the signal wire. When you plug in the red you also connect it to the battery with a 10 amp fuse. These are the only instructions mine came with, hope that helps, I can only guess that your blue wire is like my green.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hummm i never conected anything to the battery?? i just pluged in my teg and it was done.....the only diff is that there's 6 instead of 3 places to plug in and the box has a integerated falsher relay unlike a acura wich had 3 wires with a harness that the relay pluged in.....
Old 03-28-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's more technical information and pictures on the product and the fuse/relay area on the xB.

I also need help in installing this Runabout on my xB, any help would be appreciated!!

1. THE PRODUCT

2. INCLUDED WIRES:

A. ONE FEMALE TO TWO MALE CONNECTS (??)
B. ONE RED WIRE FROM UNIT (POWER?)
C. ONE BLUE WIRE FROM UNIT (ACCESSORY?)
D. ONE BLACK WIRE FROM UNIT (GROUND?)

3. FUSE/RELAY AREA

A. THE LIGHT BROWN RELAY ON TOP BETWEEN THE BLUE ONES IS THE FLASHER RELAY

4. REMOVED FLASHER RELAY & ANOTHER RELAY

5. FLASHER RELAY UPCLOSE

6. OTHER RELAY UP CLOSE

I am unsure about how to connect the male connections into the relay board, it seemed like it would work into the standard type relay housing as opposed to the Toyota Flasher relay housing.

Again...any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

BUMP

Old 04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

or a simpler way to get faster turn signals is to just replace yer bulbs with led bulbs.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

or just use your hand
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

damn, we had high speed flashers, latin beat flashers(imagine the pattern:blink---blink---blink,blink,blink,blink-blink) and brake light flashers(flashx4, then solid brake light) all with speed control, in hawaii, for so long that hardly anyone uses them anymore because they got played out. they were imported from japan. man i remember when i was in high school ('94-'98 ) it was the $h!t if you had them,and if you had the brake and the blinker flashers it was so dope. cops started to crack down on them because they said it caused old people to be confused or some bs like that. i still have my high speed flashers and am going to put it in my xb, and pimp it O.G. style.lol.

as for install mine only has three wires also, i think older cars only had 3 prongs on the relay's so i'm clueles till i actually try and install it. i gotta say it looks pretty confusing though. i would try to use a volt meter to find the + and -.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

where can you get one of these now?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow still more responese ..i totally forgot about this cause iwas doing so much at the same time man i got to put it on now...
Old 11-14-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fsr20det
damn, we had high speed flashers, latin beat flashers(imagine the pattern:blink---blink---blink,blink,blink,blink-blink) and brake light flashers(flashx4, then solid brake light) all with speed control, in hawaii, for so long that hardly anyone uses them anymore because they got played out. they were imported from japan. man i remember when i was in high school ('94-'98 ) it was the $h!t if you had them,and if you had the brake and the blinker flashers it was so dope. cops started to crack down on them because they said it caused old people to be confused or some bs like that. i still have my high speed flashers and am going to put it in my xb, and pimp it O.G. style.lol.

as for install mine only has three wires also, i think older cars only had 3 prongs on the relay's so i'm clueles till i actually try and install it. i gotta say it looks pretty confusing though. i would try to use a volt meter to find the + and -.
Even though this response is old the thread was revived so I'll comment, too. I was gonna say the same thing as fsr20det, this was going on way back when I was in the truck scene back in like 94 - 95. I figured they played out too because I hardly see them around anymore. people used to put them in trucks, accords, civics, acuras all the time back then. we used to by them at Pep Boys or any auto parts store.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup the old school rocked..i loved my 1990 teg ....
Old 11-14-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

well i guess no one knows where to get one...

Quick Reply: anyone figure out how to install a runabout unit yet??