Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anyone with a Kenwood DNX5120:

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 PM
SL Member

Default Anyone with a Kenwood DNX5120:

I just bought one, and I'll be installing it next week. I know that it technically only supports one USB hookup (which will be occupied by my iPod on a regular basis), but I've heard a few rumblings that some people have had success with a USB hub being connected, and have been able to run both an iPod and a flash drive at the same time. Kenwood states in the manual that there is no USB hub support for the model, but I don't see why a hub wouldn't work. My thinking is that a self powered hub probably won't work (I've heard that from a couple of places), but maybe one that is powered by the unit itself will? Maybe that's backwards? Not sure.

I guess what I want to know is, has anyone here had any luck trying a hub to connect multiple USB devices.

Oh, and I noticed on the back there is a mini USB port that can be used to do a direct update off of a laptop. I was wondering if a mini to male cable would work, with a female to female adapter on it, which would effectively give me that second USB port. I don't know if the unit would allow it though.

DNX5120 owners...speak up!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

I dont have a 5120, but i do work with kenwood all day. I've heard of someone doing this, and they werent successful, it didnt hurt their deck or anything though.. Basically, there isnt enough power for it to power 2 things at once. I would imagine a hub that is externally powered might work, but there wouldnt be a way to switch between the 2 things you have hooked to it. So i dont really see the point anyway. If you wanted to have 2 things at once, you could use the usb for a thumb drive and the aux input on the front. Or return it, and move up to the Excelon line, and get 2 usb inputs! and a 2 year warranty!

I've also heard of people running 160gb+ external HDD's off the usb on it and being successful. But they make the ipods so huge now, i dont see why anyone would use anything else, as its fully supported by pretty much every head unit on the market now.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
SL Member

I could see how an externally powered one might, because then it doesn't draw power from the actual unit. Maybe I could do some sort of switch. I know they make switches that you can manually choose which one is active...but then I have to wire it in without guarantee of it working. Don't know that it's worth the effort...

And I've heard of the hard drives being used too...but I have an 80gb iPod, so that's unnecessary. Though I do have a 500gb hard drive lying around...hm. Could be an option if I want.