Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anyone using Alpine SPR-17S component speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone using Alpine SPR-17S component speakers?

Anyone using Alpine SPR-17S component speakers?

I am looking at the (very expensive) Polk SR6500 components and the highlight of that speaker is the ring tweeter.

Alpine's Type-Z series SPX-Z18T and SPX-Z15M are also VERY expensive and also use a similar (if not the same) ring radiator for the tweeter.

For 07 Alpine has the SPR-17S Type-R components that also have a ring tweeter and a similar wood fiber mid cone. Sounds like trickle down technology to me. 99% of the SQ a fraction of the cost?

Anyway. MSRP is $280 and WortBuys get $249 for them (not on sale), and fleabay has them for $140 or so shipped.

Has anyone tried them?

I attempted to audition them today at WorstBuys - they do not have a way to play a disc (CD or CD-R/w MP3) on them! Only FM radio which gets a handful of stations. Needless to say, I learned nothing about the speakers other than they sounded better than the similarly priced Infinity components mounted next to them - and are a good bit less efficient.

I am also considering the ED 6500s components - for sure if I could get them at the old $225 SL forum price. At the current $325 retail price and having never heard them to compare to the Polks, I think I would probably spend the extra money on the Polks - which are "world class" speakers, I think.

If it matters, I listen to classic rock, more modern "alternative" rock, some folk, some jazz, etc. I will be running whatever I get through a stout amp and will have a sub in the car too. All about SQ and not about loud or thump.

Thanks,
Dennis