Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Armrest by tb

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 05:28 AM
Banned

yeah looks cool
Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

MY ARM HURTS!

I WANT ONE TOO! Please keep us posted!

xBMojo
Old 05-25-2004, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you thought about plastic body filler (Bondo) for the material? It might work!
Old 05-25-2004, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i've considered it, but the only way i'd probably use bondo to fill it would be with the fiberglassed bondo mixture, it's a little more expensive than the norm. i'm going to try the plaster first and reinforce it with resin and see how it works. i thought about using bondo to fill it as one of the first ways to do it but with that thick of a mold it would take a long time to dry. but if it comes down to it i'll be trying that next.

the rubber mold takes a while to make, i only got about 5 coats on yesterday and had a hair dryer taped to a chair to speed up the drying process. i need about 10 more coats on it or 5 thick ones, the rubber mold should be done by wednesday. i'll be casting around the rubber mold with plaster to keep the shape solid. the reason i used the rubber mold was because it's much easier to get the item out when it has dried. i found that with the foil trick with fiberglass isn't the cleanest way of molding things. the foil ends up getting stuck in the fiberglass and what not. plus fiberglass is messy and it would be hard to get the mold out. the rubber can flex a bit so it will be easier, plus i can pat it down with baby powder and it should slide right out.
i'm trying to get a thick enough rubber mold that will last me a while to make at least about 10 of these. So, i may be putting on more that 15 layers of rubber on it, most likely i'll aim for 20-25 layers, plus 1 layer of plaster and it should last for a while.

i got the rods cut and ready, just waiting on this mold, after it's done i can start pouring and setting, should go quick after i'm done with it
Old 05-25-2004, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They do make a liquid (brushable) bondo, but like you said it may take too long to dry. The tiger hair mixed in is a good idea too! Have you thought about a two piece set up?
Old 05-25-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what do you mean by two piece?

any type of thicker liquid or putty will take at least a day to dry completely. plaster right now is the only thing that will dry in about 2 hours.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Top and bottom of the base, kinda like a shoe box (only example I can think of ) with supports in the hollow section holding the top and bottom together with screws. Just brainstorming, you have done all the hard work!!!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

okay, i'm getting what your meaning now. that would be pretty hard to do because the mold would have to be perfectly cut and perfectly filled and it wouldn't really accomplish anything by making it two piece, unless your saying to have the bottom and top filled with different materials. even so, it would probably still be better just to do it one piece... i'm still going to have to shape the top because i can only fill it to a certain point.

i've been thinking about the bondo deal, i think i will need to make seperate thin thin thin plaster casts and fill them with the bondo and just tap the cast and it should break off. i'll try this idea out after i pour one of these, while it's drying i'll start casting the mount.

thanks for the ideas, i'm trying to come up with as many different ways as possible to do this. speed and price are the two main things.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

alright... after talking to cricket (k4kas) i learned a few things on doing molds. it turns out that my rubber mold didn't work out cause i was in too much of a hurry and didn't let it dry properly, plus i didn't coat it with plaster while it was still on the piece. i figured it would've been easier to pull the rubber off and then rub the piece down with some wax and then put the rubber back on and then coat it. ends up that the rubber creates a suction to the piece and has to be lifted/pulled off so it deforms the shape if it does not have a reinforced structure, (mother mold) behind it. thing looked like a halloween mask when i pulled it off. anyways, after talking to cricket i've decided on using fiberglass resin as the filler. so these things will be pure fiberglass resin poured into the mold.
i had to start over on the mold and was going to go wtih fiberglassing the mold and just wraping the piece in foil, but then i thought of testing the fiberglass resin on the rubber to see if it'd release easy. i tested it out on the screwed up rubber mold and the stuff came off easy as hell. so what i'm doing now is using a thin coat of rubber around the piece (about 4 layers) and i just got done putting about 3 ounces of just resin over the rubber. it is definately giving the rubber a shape to stay to, but i'm going to reinforce it with some mat tomorrow to be safe. the reason the resin came off the rubber so easily was also because i moistened it a bit before applying the resin, but anyways, this will be the way i'm going to do it. it's gonna get delayed a couple days because of this. sorry guys. trying to work as fast as i can and it's just making it take longer. i'm going to slow it down a bit and make sure i get things right.
i also got the holes drilled today in the armrest and test fitted the rods in the armrest and they're tight fit, this armrest isn't going to be moving anywhere at all. i'm just waiting on the mold and i still gotta make a jig for the rods so they get placed correctly while the mold is being filled with resin, otherwise if the things off by a little it's not gonna hook up properly. the mold should be done tomorrow and i'll post on how that goes, hopefully it goes smoothly.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Can't wait till tomorrow's episode

Who knew this could be so exciting?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

alright, got a mold finally... god damn i'm glad i used that rubber crap, ____ was hard as hell to get out. better than using foil, but still a pain in the ___.

i'm gonna fill the first with plaster just to test how well this mold works. the rubber got torn in a few spots while removing from the piece.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Hey TB,
I'm sure I can speak for all here that we appreciate the time spent and the resin burnt nose hairs!
I'm glad to see that your still sticking with it.Thats how I learned was by doing different projects and learning on my own.With the help from others when I could get it.
Im no expert.But I do have some experience.
Looks like its coming along ok.Hard to glass that mold and keep its shape eh?
I just havent been in th emood to glass lately.
I want an overhead shelf too.But to busy to get with it!
Keep on it man youll get it!
Old 05-28-2004, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well, i'm about to give up on this, lol... it proves to be too much work for me. if someone wants to take it over i'll hand over the mold and you can play with it. the way i figure is that in a month or so a large company will have an armrest out that will be pretty much oem so why bother sweating myself trying to get this one made.

http://www.woodcompany.com/toyotapage.htm

http://woodcompanyusa.com/comersus/s...idProduct=1093

echo has been out for a long time now and still no armrest for them except from maybe husco, but it looks like a crap armrest. i'm thinking scion's will be bringing in the armrests for all. companies are starting to make them, they just need to get the designs down a little better.

anyone want to take this over?
p.s.: i tried the plaster, it's is hella strong, i just filled the cupholder section of the mold and it took about 10 throws against a brick wall to finally break it.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I am interested in this... I have been working on several other fiberglass projects for the Scion. I've been working on a version using a 4 runner console. I like how your concept has the cut out for emergency brake.

If no one else is interested I would take it on and continue on it after my other projects are finished.
:D
Old 05-28-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

no prob... the mold is thin, only one layer of mat, i did it like that so you could sort of be able to twist/pull it off later. you may want to put another layer on it just to make sure it doesn't crack.

lemme know when you want it, if you want the armrest to screw around with on it i got that also, i used it as a jig to line up the studs for the mold. gotta charge for that lol

what're you working on?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh, lol, just caught that 4runner part... i was originally goin to use that for the armrest since it has the casing and all... seems like it would fit perfect, plus its got the cupholders in the back of it. the base i think was too wide when i took measurements, it would be nice to get that to fit in there though. :D
Old 05-28-2004, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks, I will PM you with my contact info...

I have been working on a Sub enclosure and spare tire cover.

http://groups.msn.com/GearheadJr/sub...oto&PhotoID=94
Old 06-01-2004, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Down in H-town. Looking good, keep us posted with final product.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

k, sorry guys, after reconsidering it and what armrests are out there right now i've decided to push forward on this project. i was giving up on it because JJProducts actually had an armrest that looked like it would win over mine, but seeing that people are afraid/don't want to do a mod that they can't undo seems like this one would be a better choice for them then. not to particular about cutting up my seats either. anyways, i threw my armrest idea by JJProducts and they're too busy to take on a new project armrest so I'm going to be making them.
I've found an easier way for me to reproduce them so it shouldn't be much trouble for me anymore. I'm going to start making the first reproduced one tonight and it will probably be 90% completed; meaning ready to mount the armrest to it, by friday. I'm going to go down to a hemping place of business and have them make some covers for the armrests. They will be made out of black headliner material; has foam backing with black fabric on top. I'm going to have them make them with zippers on the sides so they will be easy to put on. These covers will hide the bottom of the armrest where it connects to the mount.
Just need to know that at least one person would be ready to purchase this armrest before I go out and buy the armrest from Saturn... Is anyone interested in being the first one?

The armrest will most likely be completed by Monday.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey there tB! I'm willing pony up as long as this will fit in an xB. PM me the details (cost , etc) Do you take paypal?

Quick Reply: Armrest by tb