Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio Capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone ever think about getting a capacitor, a monster amp kit, and just checking to see if your deck has at least a 4v preamp output, i think that would give a good clean hitting bass, and not just some slopppy hip hopp garbage junk
Old 04-13-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dont know about caps i havent seen any actual proof that they work. thats only drawing more power off your alt and batt. in the end it will make ur alt work even harder. feel free to try one. the one that i have hooked up in my xb doesnt do shyt. the only reason its still in there is because i need to extra length.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Capacitors do not draw power from your electrical system unless it is not fully charged. Once it's fully charged it is almost the same as having another battery wired in. The purpose of a capacitor is to prevent huge drops in current to the amp because the rest of the electrical system can't keep up.

What it will do is:
1. Help prevent the lights from dimming because it'll provide the extra power needed that would normally be taken away from lights, etc.
2. Tighten the sound of your subs at high levels because the amp wouldn't clip from lack of power
3. Reduce the possibility of damage to electronics because it keeps the power more stable.

What it will not do is:
1. Fix a power problem when you have too much amp for the charging system to handle.
2. Drain your battery. It's power will stay at the level of the available power source.
3. Put a strain on the charging system. It actually does the opposite by reducing the drain in short bursts.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

1. where does it get the power from?
2. how an it not charge properly?
3. how will it provide an extra boost for your lights it its hooked up to your amp?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

1. where does it get the power from?
It gets it's power from the car's electrical system just like the amp and all the other electrical devices in the car. Remember it is a storage device. As long as the electrical system is producing a relatively constant amount of power the capacitor does nothing. It doesn't consume any power. It's just like a battery at that point holding power.

2. how an it not charge properly?
The capacitor would have to be damaged, worn out, or have a bad connection for it not to charge properly.

3. how will it provide an extra boost for your lights it its hooked up to your amp
It doesn't boost the lights per se. It provides the extra power the amp needs. The extra power leaves more for the lights to use so they don't dim or not as much. However, the capacitor is wired into the electrical system so anything that takes more power from the system will cause the capacitor to discharge.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

think of the cap as a smaller battery between your amp and your normal battery, the cap stores energy,, so instead of going to the main source, it goes to a much closer source
Old 04-13-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmmm since yall keep sayin caps are good how bout i go buy a 3 farad cap and if it doesnt do what its supposed to do then i bill you guys?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes i understand that the jl is for jl i was just using that as an example on how to get it right.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

when it all boils down its about car audio thats all that matters right.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not taking side's in this ongoing battle between you two but here is some facts.

Car Audio Power Capacitors

Power capacitors or Stiffening™ capacitors are used to assist an automobile that has a problem with dimming lights (voltage sag) or to help tighten up the bass. These capacitors store a large amount of power and then release it very quickly when the demand is the greatest from the amplifier. These capacitors release the current much faster than a battery can and do not force the amplifier's power supply to be at a loss when bass notes and other transients are greatest. Capacitors should be chosen in the ratio of one Farad per thousand watts. Click here to see how a power capacitor is wired in a car audio system. Here is the site.
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audi...wer_capacitors

I can find the MECP section on caps if you like.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah do that pls i hear from people that they do work i just cant find any hardcore proof.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey while yall are at it click this link https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...136&highlight=
Old 04-13-2006, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's another one, still working on the MECP one, if i cant find it on the net, i have the book at work.

Stiffening capacitor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A 1 farad "power cap" between two subwoofers
Enlarge
A 1 farad "power cap" between two subwoofers

A stiffening capacitor (aka power cap) is a car audio component designed to provide power during times of peak load. The large capacitor acts as a power reservoir for the audio system.

In high power audio applications the amplifier can require more current than can be supplied by the car battery, because of the battery's discharge characteristics. The slow power delivery can result in poor sound quality, dimming of the car's lights, or other electrical maladies. For audio applications that only require short bursts of power, such as a thumping bass line, it is more economical to install a power cap than to upgrade the car's electrical system.

The power cap, usually 1 or 2 farads, is connected in parallel between the battery and the amplifier. Multiple capacitors can be connected with busbars to reduce resistance and power loss. The capacitors are quite large and are often decorated with graphics or enclosed in an attractive housing, sometimes with readouts to monitor the capacitors voltage.

The capacitor charges and discharges rapidly, much faster than a battery could. It can only hold a small charge, so a single bass hit can empty it completely. It charges back up when there isn't a large power demand. This makes it inappropriate for systems that will require prolonged delivery of power, as the capacitor cannot supply additional power, only store it temporarily.

A power cap will not help if an audio system requires more power than the vehicles electrical system can deliver. While this usually requires upgrading the car's battery or alternator, a low-cost improvement is to upgrade the "magic three wires." Using thicker wires can increase the current capacity of the system. The three wires are:

* the wire from the battery's negative terminal to the car's chassis (ground).
* the wire from the alternator to the battery's positive terminal.
* the wire from the chassis (ground) to the engine.

These three wires are often small and need upgrading. Fixing this common bottleneck is cheap, and is more effective at powering your stereo and preventing the headlights from dimming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiffening_capacitor
Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

the wire from the battery's negative terminal to the car's chassis (ground).
* the wire from the alternator to the battery's positive terminal.
* the wire from the chassis (ground) to the engine.
Bingo I hoped some body would bring this up. In my own xb I upgraded all to 0ga
in the rear at the amps I have 14v at idle. and only drops to 13 on heavy use. so there is the most important thing to do that most dont!!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

umm its big three babyboy :D oh yeah i already got half of the big 3 done. but see ill need more than a cap when i get up and running 100% im running 1500 rms.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to be nitpicky...but I am a EE and all of you keep saying the capacitor stores POWER (which is measured in Watts) which is a when in fact it stores a CHARGE (which is measured in Coulombs) and they are two very different things.

Now, everything else people are saying is pretty accurate. I agree that the first thing that should be done is upgrading the "big 3". And I'm not a huge fan of capacitors, mainly because most people (including the people who sell them usually) have no idea what they're really good for.

A capacitor will actually do one thing...and that is to supply a little extra current to the amplifier in short bursts when the charging system can not. In doing this, the voltage at the battery will stabilize. The key thing to remember is that a capacitor can only correct a small deficiency in the charging system...so small that in almost every case it's more economical to upgrade your alternator...especially when you talk about the 3-5 farad 'super' capacitors.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thank you so very much for clearing that up.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 501scionxb
umm its big three babyboy :D oh yeah i already got half of the big 3 done. but see ill need more than a cap when i get up and running 100% im running 1500 rms.
how can you have half of the big 3 done? did you replace half of a wire? As far as more than a capacitor I probably agree with you however I just learned recently that the xB stock alternator puts out 90 amps which is darn respectable...I guess it's because of all the optional neons and whatnot. I'm running somewhere between 900-1000 W rms right now and have minimal voltage drop in heavy bass passages (.5 V max)...I always love the upgraded alternator though and when I move up to 'stage 2' (1600-1700 W rms) I definitely plan on upgrading that.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 501scionxb
thank you so very much for clearing that up.
sarcasm?...I wasn't gonna say anything until the same error was made multiple times
Old 04-14-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well i dont have the positive goin from batt to pos. on alt. its hard to get that darn thing off. but im getting an alt built for it. i may consider getting a cap but only to filter out certain things in my system.

Quick Reply: Audio Capacitors