Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio Capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i just get tired of people thinking that caps are the solution when they really arent thats all.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 501scionxb
i just get tired of people thinking that caps are the solution when they really arent thats all.
that is my thinking exactly...I even get a discount on caps and I won't waste my money on them. For the retail price of 3, 1 farad caps (or less) you can get a new alternator...so why waste your time with caps?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah i been told since i started getting into car audio to stay away from caps. and to just upgrade my alt better batt. and do the big 3.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my brother is a mechanic he works one tanks for the army. he told me half of what i needed to know.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only reason i have a cap is because i dont want my amps to overheat, or not have enough short burst of power, (i listen to lots of trance and breakbeats), so i will need tight clean bass, and not that sloppy hip hop garbage bass, so hopefully by getting a capacitor, i wont kill my battery (my friend went through 3 batteries in 6 months), and hopefully i wont get dimming headlights or dimming anything else (my HID"s are 35watts, as compared to the stock halogens 65watts... i dont know if it will dim, with the HID's but why take that chance....)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tangsta35
the only reason i have a cap is because i dont want my amps to overheat, or not have enough short burst of power, (i listen to lots of trance and breakbeats), so i will need tight clean bass, and not that sloppy hip hop garbage bass, so hopefully by getting a capacitor, i wont kill my battery (my friend went through 3 batteries in 6 months), and hopefully i wont get dimming headlights or dimming anything else (my HID"s are 35watts, as compared to the stock halogens 65watts... i dont know if it will dim, with the HID's but why take that chance....)
i dont know about it making ur amp heat up but i know clipping will make ur amp heat up really bad that and also droping it below the recomended ohm rating. either way if u have ur gains and other things like ur eq set properly u shouldnt have any problem.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

but hey go for it. its what ever suites u best. i just thought id open ur mind up to other alternatives as far as power issuses with you system. heres a graph showing what needs to be done to achieve certain watts to run in your system.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can we liken the capacitor to the grounding kit? people put them in and they're not really sure if it makes that much of a difference. but it looks good and as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

BTW...for those who have upgraded their alternator wire going to the battery, did you just bypass the fuse that was originally on the stock wire or did you put a fuse on the alternator wire? I'm upgrading my grounds again and will be doing the power wires and I was just curious.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

anyone ever think about getting a capacitor, a monster amp kit, and just checking to see if your deck has at least a 4v preamp output, i think that would give a good clean hitting bass, and not just some slopppy hip hopp garbage junk
hey hey dont bash hiphop. hiphop is coo.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone ever think about getting a capacitor, a monster amp kit, and just checking to see if your deck has at least a 4v preamp output, i think that would give a good clean hitting bass, and not just some slopppy hip hopp garbage junk
Not sure if a cap is the way to go..im going to have an alternator built for my car soon.
I dont think that many if any cd player that claims 4v out can actually put out 4v, lucky if it does half that.
A few other things factor into not having "slopppy hip hopp garbage junk" bass.
The amplifier you choose,the subwoofer you choose and the enclosure you put the subwoofer in.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i had a long talk with my fulltime supervisor last night about caps he told me that the do have some use. its jut that the use only lasts 2 seconds. my sup. said when he ran his orions he had 8 caps inside his box to help when he did burps in sound comps. but he also said "caps dont solve anything such as headlight dimming or anything only thing that will solve this is a H/O alternator or dual output alternator." this dude has competed for 10 -15 years. another thing he said was regardless of if u are competing or not depending on the watts u run u will need an alternator. he stopped for a while why i dont know. but he did tell me this "man u gone make me go buy a new head unit this weekend." so u know what that mean. he finna be in the parkin lot hitting 167 decibels like he use to. its goin to be awsome.