Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audiovox 5.5" screens in tC headrests- Pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GT4Dreams
btw, what do you drive ScionDad?
I drive an 05 Avalanch.

My brother and I have been building this Charger RT as the latest project.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47...ourcharger.bmp
Old 04-23-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
I drive an 05 Avalanch.

Thats a sick lookin Charger
Old 04-23-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Smokin
I drive an 05 Avalanch.

Thanks, yea it is. We should be able to dyno it in about 3 weeks. Est is 2400whp on this charger. He did one last year 3200 whp. I can't handle that one.

He just finished the paint scheme....sweet. Airbrushed skulls and faces all thru the car...ghosted. The whole front clip weights 10 pounds.

No time to watch TV in here
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47...k/Interior.bmp
Old 04-23-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

a writeup would be appreciated if you could...been interested in gettin some headrest monitors and don't know where to start
Old 04-23-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toboggan
a writeup would be appreciated if you could...been interested in gettin some headrest monitors and don't know where to start
I will have one done by tomorrow for you all. For sure 1 thing, the largest to fit in the stock headrest is 5.5 (or 5.6") screen sizes.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive an 05 Avalanch.

Thanks, yea it is. We should be able to dyno it in about 3 weeks. Est is 2400whp on this charger. He did one last year 3200 whp. I can't handle that one.

He just finished the paint scheme....sweet. Airbrushed skulls and faces all thru the car...ghosted. The whole front clip weights 10 pounds.

I've never heard of a dyno registering that much hp.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mediocre Generica
I drive an 05 Avalanch.

I've never heard of a dyno registering that much hp.
It won't. Screen goes black on the dyno around 800hp and even that we had to creep up to it cause the wheels spin to fast. It's computer calculated from there. The engine is a Chevy 572. Yea, we know...in a Mopar. But there is a bowtie on the right front quarter panel That one makes runs in the 7's.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mjmorris84
good price... But why and the hell does anyone pay money so others can watch tv in the back of their car... ? Who the hell watches TV in their car anyways? Sorry But i cant stand that stuff... its all about status...
No kids, huh?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that's sweet... a hundred bucks for both of them? That's pretty awesome. Almost makes me consider doing it since the price is so right.

Never was a big fan of those because I always thought the car would be an easy target for criminals.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

nice install. i have 2 screens i'm trying to get working, i just can't seem to get video from my PS2 to them. can u help me out? check out the thread over here i got up:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...467&highlight=
Old 04-26-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rebelMan
nice install. i have 2 screens i'm trying to get working, i just can't seem to get video from my PS2 to them. can u help me out? check out the thread over here i got up:

Basically, the box thing that has power ran to it is a video splitter and power for the screens. There is 2 video inputs (PS2 and something else)and 1 video output (for another monitor, etc). It appears the splitter is powering up because your monitors come on, just blank.

What type of connector is it that comes from each headset to the splitter?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

it's a flat about .5 inch connector that has 1 solid wire that goes to the splitter. here is an explanation of the splitter and all the wires i have:

the splitter has 3 connectors on one side, and another 3 on the opposite side. 1 side has a plastic box connector (just like a power connector inside a computer) with 4 small box's within it. Three of the boxes have leads in them, 1 red wire, 1 yellow, 1 black. That wire gets power and grounds the unit, there's just three wires at the end of that cable. now, on that same side of the box "brain", there's 2 of the same type of connectors, a wierd 8~pin design sort of like a PS2 mouse and keyboard would have. 1 of them is labled "VCR" the other is "Accessory". Then i have 2 exact same cables that can fit that type of connector. Well their very similar. 1 of the cables has Component connectors, red,yellow,white; and it has a wire that goes to a headphone male connector; it also has 3 wires that go to the exact type of connector that the black box brain has to get power from the battery. the wires are red,blue,black. I have no idea where they connect, maybe the company sells a separate unit that these can connect to for some special reason. Anyhow, the other cable has that same red,blue,black connector, and it has JUST a component video connector (yellow), it has the 2 wires for audio (red,white), but they don't have the connectors on the wire, just bare wires with a sleeve over both of them.

NOW, the other side of the box. 2 of the connectors are exactly the same, i have 2 of the exact same cables that plug into those 2 connectors and go to the screens, it's just ONE cable, 1 solo cable, nothing else.
The LAST connector is a special one, that has it's own special cable that won't fit in any other connector. It has like 10~ pins, and is labled "Transmitter". That cable has these 2 FEMALE component looking connectors on it, BUT they're blue and yellow. It also has some wierd ___ sqaure plastic piece that has 1 piece of metal in it, some wierd connector.

that's basically it. I've tried pluging the yellow component connector from the PS2 into the wierd "Transmitter" cable, it boots the screens up but still NO video.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It won't. Screen goes black on the dyno around 800hp and even that we had to creep up to it cause the wheels spin to fast. It's computer calculated from there. The engine is a Chevy 572. Yea, we know...in a Mopar. But there is a bowtie on the right front quarter panel That one makes runs in the 7's.
Leave it to the Chevy powerplant to get you the power! And more importantly the rpm. When it comes to american hot rods, I have always been a huge Chevy fan! Good work on that one, I bet it is a blast to drive.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

[quote="ScionDad"]
Originally Posted by rebelMan

Basically, the box thing that has power ran to it is a video splitter and power for the screens. There is 2 video inputs (PS2 and something else)and 1 video output (for another monitor, etc). It appears the splitter is powering up because your monitors come on, just blank.

What type of connector is it that comes from each headset to the splitter?[/quote

i posted some pics and more information over here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=729743#729743

if u would please help me out, u can post in that post so i don't spam up your post^^
Old 05-02-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump

Sciondad did you ever do a writeup on this? I would be really curious to see the installation process.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, I did it in Word, but never sent it. This is a great how to that I read first. It even has pics. Cool thing about the Audiovox was it had a template that grabbed the sides of the headrest making it centered and level.

http://www.rearseatvideo.com/installi.htm

This is what I did specific to tC.

First of all, the Scion tC stock headrest will only work with 5.5" max size monitors. You might squeeze in 6", but it will cut into the seams on the edges of the headrest and probably fray away. The 5.5"s fit perfect.

The monitors I purchased are Audiovox 5.5" from eBay and after staring at the contents for about 5 minutes (little instructions at all and wondering if I bit off more than I can chew), I figured out the packing cardboard inside the box
was actually a template for the back of the headrest. It's folded perfect for the sides to grab and fits perfect. I taped it to the headrest so it won't move. Make sure it is level, but it's pretty hard not to be level because of the template grabbing the edges.

Time to feel sick (at least my daughter felt sick cause I made her do the cuts)

Take a razor and cut an X from corner to corner of the template. My housing for the monitor also had a 1 inch high by 2 inch across section on top for the remote sensor, so you will make an X here as well (it's on the template).
Basically, the point being with the cuts is to not remove any fabric, only open it up. This makes for a clean installation and no gaps later on in the edges.

Now that the X is cut, remove the template and fold the fabric back and start cutting out the foam not going past the edges of the X cuts. You will carve out about an 1.5 inch or a little more. Test fit the housing by folding the fabric back
into the foam section and place the housing into the headrest. Continue to cut and fit until you have a tight fit, but not too tight where the fabric will buckle or the housing gets pushed out. It should be snug and flush.

Once fit it good on both headrests, run the wire up the side of the rod into the headrest and into the housing and let them hang out. The wires fit perfect along the rod for height adjustment and there is even a slot to fit into the headrest from underneath.
Push it thru. I tried to feed into the hole of the rod, but the rod is U shaped, so I didn’t want to cut the rod and reduce usability of the headrest. Really can’t see the wire.

On the passenger headrest, inside is a steel plate behind the foam. I took a piece of slotted flat steel strap (from hardware store), cut off a 4” piece and screw or zip tie the housing to the steel strap and
I used 2 sheet metal self tapping screws and screwed the whole thing to the headrest for a tight/secure fit. I did have to drill a pilot hole for the screws into the headrest because it kept walking around.

On the drivers side, there is no steel in the headrest…nothing but foam. So, I did all the X cutting and carving, then to secure it, I used RTV glue and 6 plastic automobile anchors (any auto store) as follows. Placed the housing into position and marked the 6 holes with a marker on the foam (holes already in the housing from Audiovox…make sure your anchors will fit thru holes before applying RTV…gets messy later if not ). The RTV glue has a pointed tip applicator (like caulk) and I shoved the tip into the foam where I marked and squeezed pulling out filling the foam holes with RTV. I covered the back of the housing with RTV and then pressed it into position and pushed the plastic auto anchors into each hole. Took 4 zip ties and wrapped it around the headrest to secure it tight until RTV setup. 1 hour later, rock solid. Stinky, but solid. Smell goes away

Now, the housings should be mounted with the control wires fed up under the headrest into the housing. Install the monitors into housing and push excess wire back out the bottom of headrest.

To feed the wires down the seats, I took a piece of rigid wire (fish tape if you got it, coat hangar works too, but might punch a hole in your seat fabric if not bent to a circle at the tip.) and feed it down from behind the height adjustment button below the headrest, reached up under the seat fabric and there it is. It may take a few minutes of moving the rigid pull wire, but it will get to the bottom of the back seat cover. Tape your connector to the rigid pull wire on top, and pull it thru. You may have to pull out on the seat fabric a little to feed the connector thru, but it closes back in just fine. Now your wire is under your seat. There are already slots cut in the carpet under both seats (near the front of them), and take your cable where ever your player is.

It’s really an easy process, just take your time and go slow. I actually made all my cuts and test fits, then took a break for an hour, then came back with a fresh mind. Frustration leads to problems. I never did this before and if I can do it, anyone can.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

Ok, here's the real question...

How much if I send you the parts and my head rests?

I'm serious!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Ok, here's the real question...

How much if I send you the parts and my head rests?

I'm serious!
PM me and maybe we can work a deal.