Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Best speakers and components?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default Best speakers and components?

i've been referred to use either polk momo, kicker, or jl for my scion xb. I have a alpine cda-9831 head unit too. I'm not sure what speakers and amp to go with. Thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have an Alpine CDA-9833 and XM Tuner for my box. I went with Polk Audio db series 6.5" components and subs. I haven't had a chance to install them yet, as the components were on back order and just arrived on Wednesday, but along with the Sony amps, I'm looking for decent sound, at a decent price.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to sound snotty, but have you considered going to a shop
and just using your ears to guide you, rather then suggestions
from people you don't know online?
Old 04-25-2005, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lonely Raven
Not to sound snotty, but have you considered going to a shop
and just using your ears to guide you, rather then suggestions
from people you don't know online?
i second that emotion. you wont really know what sounds good to you until you use them ear-bones,boy! just keep in mind, you can still find good separates on a budget. and honestly, rear fill is going to be important no matter what kind of car you get. you dont want to overpower any of your other components, you want a good blend.-good luck
Old 04-25-2005, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with the budget thing! I found some ma audio component 6.5s for 100 bucks, I don't know how they sound but i've had their subs before and was rather impressed. 400 bucks will get me two pairs and an amp to push them so i'm gonna try them out.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would agree with Raven.....go listen to as many components that you can at shops, or shows, or other peoples cars.....then decide for yourself what YOU like......

I never have been impressed with any of Kicker's speakers....unless you want to spend $800+ on them..... I have JL and they're great speakers!!! never heard any polks before....

Just listen to then and find what you like at your budget...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This is the 1000 different answers question ... I say Alpine or Focal ... I have all Alpine and I have had Focal before ... Listen to as many as you can and then make your pick!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly how much is your budget? How much nominal power will you be feeding them? What do you listen to mainly, etc...

In a budget type install, I love, love, love to recommend a set of Adire Audio Koda midbass drivers (not the components, just the drivers). They respond really well, and give close to the same frequency response as the stocks will (which happen to be full range -vs- aftermarket midbass). They go for a whopping $80 a pair. Not bad for a midbass that performs on par, if not better than the other items in the next price class (1st being $0-$100, second being $101-$250). Plus they do a really good job playing off-axis.

Another good idea would be the JL VR coaxials, for the budget minded of course. They really respond well fr a co-ax and entry level in terms of LFE (low frequency extension). You can throw in some components if you'd like, but I gurantee you that I'd thrash you on the low end with these -vs- most entry level price point components. Most of them just don't get teh LFE, if you don't have a sub, you're going to feel lacking with some componenst -vs- stock speakers. They also play the top octave well. Some of the component sets don't do that as well, and some not even as well as stock. I like the VR's here.

Either of those two, the Adire Koda or the JL VR's will work fine for the entry level consumer with pretty much all types of music. While I'm not going to say that they'll spank anything out there, because that's subjective, my idea of imaging, sound stage, etc may be different than yours. I'm merely stating that for things in it's class, those two will perform in the top 95% of all of them, if not at the very top.

Another problem with installing speakers, not in kick panels, or somewhere where they're properly aimed or imaged is sound stage. Most of the time, no shop takes the time to stage the speakers they install or otherwise image them. You're going to hear the speaker closer to you. It's going to appear over powering and sound like it's playing at double the volume that the other side is. In actuality, it's not, but because it's not properly imaged it'll sound that way. Those two that I recommended, regardless of music type, play remarkably well off-axis, especially when compared with others comparably priced or marketed. I prefer to make mutt sets myself. Mutt meaning that I may have one brand mid, one brand tweet, one brand 4" and yet another brand crossover. (I like 3 way sets, sorry) I prefer to build my systems based on what I like to hear out of my system, balanced sound. I do keep a vehicle around with an entry level priced system in it so I can show people that yes, even with minimal dollars, you can make something sound good.

This takes me to the install. When you're putting them in the doors, make sure that you properly baffle them, etc to reduce backwave distortion frmo being introduced, among other things. I'll cut the post off here, but if you'd like to hear more, feel free to ask because I'll pick up from here...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't go wrong with JL bro