Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Burnt out headlight wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Burnt out headlight wiring harness?

Well it finally happened. One of my 100/90W bulbs burnt out the other day. But when I replaced both bulbs with the stock ones, the headlight on that burnt out side was totally dimmed. There was also no change when I switched to high beams (at least on the trouble side).
Desperate and unable to find a heavy duty wiring harness quickly, I decided to go with the inferior cheapies as a quick fix until I can get my hands on some decent harnesses. After swapping out the old with the new harness, the same thing was happening! The broken side was still emitting only a faint glow, as if it weren't getting the full voltage. A quick check with a voltmeter confirmed my suspicions... only 4.74 v going through!!! What the hell is going on? Is there anyone who can shed some "light" on this?
(P.S. Yes, I know, before I get a ____load of "I told you so", I really liked the extra light from those 100/90w bulbs. I had actually had them installed in a CRV and a Benz without any problems whatsoever. So I figured the stock harness in my xB could handle it. Oh well, live and learn. Please help me?)
Old 02-06-2004, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem with my civic. The brigher bulb burned out the sockets for the headlights.
eastwood company sells a kit for upgrading headlights with better cables and relays.
It is for h4 bulbs.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...0117&Dep_Key1=

Good luck