Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Buying HIDs, McCulloch or Philips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Buying HIDs, McCulloch or Philips?

I'm choosing between McCulloch or Philips. Heard Philips is much better. But I would like to hear more opinion on this. Will purchase asap!

5300k McCulloch on eBay - $275 shipped
4300k Philips on XenonDepot - $475 shipped
Old 06-13-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4300k is damn near stock headlights....NOT WORTH THE MONEY....btw the are both realy good
Old 06-13-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Really? 4300k I thought its just the temperature, but yea, maybe the higher temperature, the brighter!
I would like to have brighter white beam, without losing the visibility on the road at night.
I heard 6000k has a little blue tint that would affect the light efficiency on the road at night! Dont want that to happen!
Old 06-13-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the higher the temp, the more blue/purple the light will be. I sell the polarion kit that Xenondepot has, and it is quite nice. 3 year warranty is nice as well. As for the 4300k kit being as bright as the stock lights, think again, the stock blubs dont even compare. I have installed more of the 4300 kits then anything else, just cause it is a nice bright white.

Jason
Old 06-13-2005, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spend a little more and go with the Philips equipment. 4300K has the most usable light on the road when comparing to higher kelvin. If you are thinking about jsut going the kit way instead of a full HID retrofit this is what I highly recommend doing....

Go here and look at these bulbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476

These are the rebased bulbs to fit your application. Neat thing about these is you can use them with any OEM ballast. Then just get some OEM ballasts. The whole thing will probably only cost you $300. This is great because if you ever think about doing a full retro down the road you can use those same ballasts. Or if you ever decide to sell, you will always have potential buyers for OEM equipment.

if you need some help you can reach me on AIM or something --> krayzrushin
Old 06-13-2005, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah.. 4300 are like OEM HID's... and what i would go with... price wise... i think the philips are more expensive the last time i looked.. if you can get the philips for the same price as the other kit get the philips.. and defenelty let me know..!!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Seems like Philips is the way to go! But they are expensive! $200 more! But of coz, you get what you pay for!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I GOT THE McCulloch H.I.D KIT WHICH I GOT OFF EBAY. IT IS VERY HIGH QUALITY AND IS COMPLETELY PLUG-AND-PLAY. I DECIDED TO GO WITH THE 6000K LIGHTS AND I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THEM. THEY ARE MUCH BRIGHTER THAN THE STOCK LIGHTS AND HAVE A SLIGHT BLUE HUE WHICH REALLY GIVES THEM A HOT LOOK AS COMPARED TO THE 4300K STYLE. AT THE SAME TIME THEY LOOK JUST AS BLUE AS LETS SAY AN AUDI HID LAMP SO THEY DO NOT ATTRACT ATTENTION OF COPS LIKE THE 8000K OR 10000K LAMPS WOULD, AND THE LIGHT OUTPUT IS BETTER. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM EMAIL ME: BARNBOY71@AOL.COM

HERE A LINK TO SOME PICTURES OF LIGHTS AND MY CAR SEE FOR YOURSELF.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/122100/1

~TONY~
Old 06-13-2005, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks Tony. I wanted to go with the McCulloch since it cheaper, and they seem to be reliable. But I have also heard people saying they aint lasting for long.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I would go with Phillips, and as for McCulloch H.I.D KIT... they don't last very long. I currently have a 10,000k Phillips Halo H.I.D Kit on my tC and it looks sweet as hell! In the end what you pay for is what you get.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Final decision, Philips 6000k! Thanks all!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea! don't get ebay s hit!
xenondepot has a pretty good rep..
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

McCullough is complete trash.

Don't waste your money, honestly do it once do it right. Go with the phillips kit from xenondepot, they have established themselves as a reputable company who deals with H.I.Ds.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how are you planning to mount these? i hope not in the stock housing, this is not good.

you are replacing your lo beams with HIDs which light up very differently. this will cause a wicked glare and run people off the road ans attract attention to Mr. Law.

check this thread
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73060

this is how HIDs should be done. you shouldnt just throw HID's in a halogen reflector. youll just make people mad.

also a reminder. HID retrofit kits are outlawed. i tried finding the artitcle in google and on here but the thread on here was deleted because it was in sponsored sales.

please do it right, youll be happier you did
Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eiso
Final decision, Philips 6000k! Thanks all!
Whoo yoo! Finally I can 6k in person! I can't wait to check these out at the next meet.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
how are you planning to mount these? i hope not in the stock housing, this is not good.

you are replacing your lo beams with HIDs which light up very differently. this will cause a wicked glare and run people off the road ans attract attention to Mr. Law.

check this thread
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73060

this is how HIDs should be done. you shouldnt just throw HID's in a halogen reflector. youll just make people mad.

also a reminder. HID retrofit kits are outlawed. i tried finding the artitcle in google and on here but the thread on here was deleted because it was in sponsored sales.

please do it right, youll be happier you did
I would love to get projectors and also not doing any harm to other drivers on the road. But I dont think I would pay $1400 for the retrofit on hidretro (I know you didnt tell me to get that, but if i get it, i'd get that). Plus, I'm not familiar with car, been driving for only 2+ years, telling myself to do a retrofit without anybody here to assist, ohhhhh...no way!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

if you have only been driving for 2+ years please do us all a favor and dont get HIDS then... its people that just throw the HID bulbs in a stock housing that ruin it for everyone. when done properly, hids are a great investment. but please... dont get em unless you are going to do them right.

there are better places to spen the money... CAI, headers, exhaust, wheels, NAVI, aftermarkey seats, custom box for a system, coliovers, swaybars, carbon fiber hoods, body kit, bats over lays for you tail lights... just to name a few.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by teksno
if you have only been driving for 2+ years please do us all a favor and dont get HIDS then... its people that just throw the HID bulbs in a stock housing that ruin it for everyone. when done properly, hids are a great investment. but please... dont get em unless you are going to do them right.

there are better places to spen the money... CAI, headers, exhaust, wheels, NAVI, aftermarkey seats, custom box for a system, coliovers, swaybars, carbon fiber hoods, body kit, bats over lays for you tail lights... just to name a few.
So if i drive a couple more years, I can get the HIDs? hehe jk

I'm kinda leaning towards the look of my car, thats why i got nice wheels and navi. Nice HID setup is my next thing, too bad the projector headlights are so heck expensive!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah they are but if you wanna keep it sort of legan and not blind anyone and make Mr. law an angry person, wait it out.

i wanted HIDs for my focus and when they finally came out for the MACH Audio ZTS, i would have to buy the complete wiring harness for the car because of the type of headlights they were.

it was worth it but the car was juk so i didnt do it.

wait a little longer, it took a long time for the xB projectors to come out after those super rare REAL JDM projector lights came out.

the aftermarket will catch onto the tC, you just gotta be patent. they should jump on the xA its been out for so long already. Toyota even thought the xA would sell better than the xB. oh well