Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Calling all Scion guru's.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Calling all Scion guru's.......

Alright Scion guru's heres one for you. I am a professional car stereo installer and over five years i have installed many security and remotestart systems in many vehicles,and have not seen this done yet, but i want to be differnt. I have an 06 Xb with factory keyless, i want to add on a remotestart, but i want to be able to use the factory keyless remote pad. What i need to know, is if there is negative output on the factory keyless module, to trigger the remotestart to turn on. With aftermarket remotestarts you hit a certain button on the remote twice or two buttons at once to trigger the remotestart. I dont know if this is possible on a factory keypad, and i know i know i could buy the factory remotestart, but im cheap and i want to be different, and i like the factroy remote. I thought about maybe using the panic button as the turn on, but i havent had a chance to test at the factory keyless module yet to see if it is a negative trigger. Cant wait for all of you to way in on this thread with ideas and thoughts or if anyone has tried this yet. Thanks in advance to all. B
Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You know that you can program the amount of times a remote start needs to be pulsed to activate right?

As for your idea, its doubtful.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

teh only way we have been able to do that with a factory remote is to hit the unlock twice but it disables the keyless entry so you can't lock thew doors if it is remote started, We hade the same prob with a Land Rover. I hope this helps, I don't know if the panic button would work or not. We used a Vallet part from DEI to do the ones that we have done.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you get the right remote start module, it can be wired to the factory remote.

i've seen it done.
if i can find the tech doc, i'll put a link up
Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So Brianxb what your saying is setting the remotestart to start after say two or three negative pulses from keyless entry module, beacuse say one pulse locks the doors if it see two lock pulses it would remote start. What kind of alarmsor remotestarts are you using, Will have to get my 50 differnt manuals out and see if my DEI's will do that. And gothbox your saying that the keyless does not work after remotestart because the keyless module reads the ignition having 12v going thru it and shuts the keyless mode down, just like any aftermarket alarm. Well thats a simple fix if the keyless module has an input from the ignition wire, you cut it and problem solved. I guess it's time to tear the old girl apart and do some checking of wires to see what is actually connected to the keyless module. But any more ideas will be appreciated, thanks. B
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks BigJim , would appreciate it tremendously...... And i had heard a rumor about that with the TC's from a guy who talks to much, and cant beleive half the stuff he says.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the panic wouldn't work unles you got into the keyless brain and got the trigger between the reciever and relay to honk the horn. I'm pretty sure the DEI stand alones allow for programmed remote start via a certain number of input pulses. I would use the lock circuit to remote start it. program it for 3 or 4 pulses and you're good to go.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wondered how long it would take you violent b to chime in on this subject, and you were right on point.Thanks for the advice, how much for you to come install it, LoL. Talk at you later b.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

AutoLoc makes a remote start unit that interfaces w/ the factory remote. You tap into the power lock wire, hit lock twice on the remote and the car is supposed to start if everything is wired up correctly. I've done two of these on Mitsubishi Lancers...I had a problem with them being flaky though.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just a note for the future pretty much 99% of all import vehicles dissable the keyless ability once the vehicle is started.

You can remote start it with the factory keypad witht he pulses but you cannot use you keyless entry system once it is running so you either shut it down or use your key in the door.

All DEI alarm have the activation wire. All Autopage, and pretty much almost every remote start has it and can be set to 1 pulse 2 pulse or 3 pulse.

You just hook the wire up to lock wire of the vehicle. Some cases in which the lock could be positive the motor is usually negative and can hook it up to the motor wire. ( not in scion cases)

Is their any particular reason that you do not want to have an extra keypad?

If its just becuase of the look you can use a tiny keypad and take it apart and insert it into the scion keypad with a little knowledge and patients solder new points to the factory buttons.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks SoILxB and Smartass for your inputs on the subject, As I stated before i hope the keyless module has an input for the ignition wire, and can hopefully be cut to allow keyless after remotestart. As for the remote pad, i just like the factory remote for some stupid reason, i already have another remote pad on my key chain that is for my wife's viper alarm and was hooked to my viper alarm, that was installed in my previous vehicle, but am to lazy to hook up in the xB. I guess its everybody trying to be different on this site and its somthing different. As for taking apart the factory remote and inserting a small keypad, i am an installer and dont much care to deal with boards and small solder points, to much for me to mess up. Thanks for input thou, will let you know how it turns out.