Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cruise Control — lever vs RF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cruise Control — lever vs RF?

Does any one know the pros and cons of a Rostra lever actuated cruise control vs their RF (Radio Frequency) actuator (da kine that glues to the steering wheel pad)?

Ideally I'm looking for a cruise control for my 2006 xB (auto transmission) that I can use with my right hand, specifically so that I can actuate the set-resume buttons by dropping a finger down from the steering wheel (so that I don't have to remove my hand from the wheel to set-resume speeds. Possibly if the control were glued close enough to the rim of the wheel I could press the buttons with my thumb, yes?

Of the two is one considered mo betta? I plan on installing it myself.

I'd like to see a pic of the RF switch on someone's steering wheel—to see where it's placed and how easily it can be actuated with thumb or fingers?

It seems that the ideal place to have the lever, be it on the left or rights side is under the 10 and 2 o'clock positions on the steering wheel which is where I keep my hands while driving.

The Rostra lever switch looks like it would be awkward. The lever doesn't move does it? —just the buttons on the top and bottom. Doesn't pushing the buttons put a strain on the lever nut over a period of time? It also looks like one has to remove their hand from the steering wheel for each button push. Yes? The pics I've seen aren't that clear.

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default RF model.....

well i just got my RF model in a few days ago and started to install it Sunday. I got the mechanical part installed under the hood onto the throttle assembly with much difficulty. I lost the original pivot hex nut and had to go buy some replacement 8mmx1.25 nuts because i lost the second one as well. 8mmx1.0 were the wrong thread size, so those were a waste of $1.50

Eventually cursing the unit and it's tiny Japanese layout, i finally got it mounted properly with much chagrin. On to the understeering wiring. I'm stuck at step 8, which is to place a T-tap onto the ignition line which is pin #6 on a certain block. Well, the wire bundle blocks my view of all the stuff there, and is about 2 inches from my eye when i finally get my big head lodged under the steering wheel. My only recourse is to find a small mirror i can lodge in at an obtuse angle and try to locate the proper wire to tap. The place that installed my car alarm refused to install the cruise control wiring, and a mechanic i stopped by on my way home wanted $300 to run the wiring harness!!!

As to the RF unit, i haven't installed it yet because i haven't finished the wiring itself, but i bought it explicity because the regular model requires drilling into the steering column housing to mount it, and it sits at an odd angle. I've seen several people mention it's awkward and you might bump it with your knee when you enter the vehicle. With the RF box, you can mount it radially around the column, which makes it lower profile, and i think better. It's your call though.

Just make sure you are able to do step 8, cuz it's a _____!