Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

cruise control help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Default cruise control help

hey guys, im looking to get a cruise control for the car, i will be making a long trip soon, and from my last long trip, i need a cruise. what is a good one out there that i can get for my xA, thankz
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I still can't believe they don't have cruise standard on xA's and xB's. I don't know what I would do without it on my tC. Good luck on finding a cruise.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Get the rosta cruise control unit off of ebay, it's the same one you will find everywhere and from the same dealer. It will cost between 180 and 210 depending on wether you want the RF switch or not.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also go to trdsparks.com and get the factory Toyota cruise control. It is on a stalk that mounts to the right side of the steering column. They also have the instruciton on the site as well.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry I mean to the left of the steering wheel
Old 03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I understand, the xA and xB do not come with cruise due to the fact that they are considered city cars. Not really meant to be driven on the highway for long periods of time. Hence the small size and small displacement motors...
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

the "factory Toyota cruise control" is the Rosta cruise control.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed a Rosta in my xB and it works great. It took about 3hrs to install.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The SE region Toyota importer installs the Rostra as the "dealer" or "port" installed cruise control option. It is not a "factory" option, but a regional importer's option.

Aside from that, Rostra makes excellent cruise controls, and in fact make many "factory" option cruise controls for the manufacturers. I had my first one in an early eighties Honda CRX.

Get the Rostra - it is aftermarket, but it is well designed and reliable, and designed for the xA/xB.

For interest, here is the installation manual for it:

http://tijil.org/0001679910xAxBCruise.pdf (3.5MB PDF)

Enjoy!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Installation instructions were generally clear, but the three splice connections needed could use better/clearer pictures/instructions. 1N pin 6 is very difficult to find, and I didn't even attempt it. I looked in the schematic drawing book and saw that 1N pin 6 (black w/white stripe wire on xB, Grey wire on xA) provides power to the cigarette lighter. After looking at the 100+ wires around 1N, I connected it over by the lighter (same wire, easier to get to).

1N pin 6 connection to right of drivers right leg.

You will enjoy having it once installed. (My install was on an xB),
Old 03-12-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^^That was the only problem I had installing mine. Other than that it was pretty easy.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cruisin'

Hey yall, I am a new member to SL. And this is my first post "Weeeeee". So I have aquestion about Cruise Cntl. I have a 04 XB, I bought it used and It had cruise control. Is this not stock? I got it to work once but I have since been on a long trip. Every now and then I try to set it when I am going places on the intersate but I can't really figure it out. What's the dealy-o?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See page 15 of the installation PDF I linked to above for the operating instructions...
Old 03-13-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Soypablo
Cruise control was not stock, but some dealers had it installed through an outside source, or you could purchase a different manufacture after market one. The installation manual and operating directions mentioned by Thomas are for the Rosta. If you have another aftermarket, one that is perhaps vacuum operated, you need to find out the manufacture and then go from there. The cruise for the Rosta is labeled pretty good on what buttons do what. It automatically shuts off when you shut off the car, so you have to press the end button each time to turn it on, and then reach and set the speed you want.
Good luck, and congratulations on your first post.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

In the Southeast, we can get it a a dealer option. Personally though, I don't like the column stalk. Anyone here with pictures of wheel mounted RF buttons?!

Cruise control has been on my list of things to do for the longest time, but has been one of the last things I've thought about doing.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey thanks guys, I am going to try to and research this more on the weekend.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by OooThatsSharp
From what I understand, the xA and xB do not come with cruise due to the fact that they are considered city cars. Not really meant to be driven on the highway for long periods of time. Hence the small size and small displacement motors...
You must have spent too much time at Cedar Point. That's one the funniest things I've ever heard. If these weren't made for long trips what good would they be. They have great MPS's for a reason other than just city duty. I take 600 mile trips in my toaster on a regular basis and absolutely enjoy the drive.

Back to the subject: Get the Rostra cruise, you will love it. Mine came port installed but you can get the same one from the dealer parts dept. or off ebay and have it installed.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

I just finished installing a Rostra cruise in Lauren's (champagne_supernova) '06 xA..

It isn't a terribly hard install, but there is on error in the instructions: the power lead in the 1N connector at the junction block is a GREY wire, not a GREEN wire. It isn't that hard to make the connection there, the connector has a latch on the top and once you release it it pops right out and you can make the connection out in the open.

The pictures in the instructions could be better..

The cable adjustment is a minor pain, you have to snap the adjuster out to turn it.. so it will take several attempts until you get the slack correct. Also, you will probably have to carefully grip the factory throttle cable adjuster with pliers to loosen the inner nut.. don't just back off the outer nut, because then the accelerator pedal will have excessive play.

The nut you have to remove to install the throttle pivot bracket is on a double-flatted shaft.. it is very easy to cross-thread the nut in this situation.. Be very careful, the nut will thread on with almost no resistance if it is not cross-threaded. You won't need a wrench until the very end.

The cable ends up being just a snad long, but you can corral it without kinking it. The servo unit kinda interferes with one of the throttle cable clips, I ended up bending it out of the way a bit.

Getting the harness through the firewall grommet is a little bit of an adventure.. some tips:
1) it is easier to push the grommet out from under the dash than to try to extricate it from under the hood.
2) you have to cut the firewall side of the grommet, but with care you can sneak the wires through the inner boot without cutting it. I used a piece of wire as a snake to make this easier.

There are three screws to remove to get the lower column cover off; once these are out, it is a matter of gentle tugging to get the snaps released.

Before you drill the lower cover for the stalk, consider the molded webs on the backside.. they are easy to avoid, but if you drill in the wrong place you'll be unhappy.

If you take your time, and think when things don't look quite right, it'll go just fine.

...tom ("dad")
Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Glad you got it installed. How does it function? Mine sometimes requires 2 pushes on the button to set. It's a little slow to recover on uphill pulls. I just give it a little throttle prior to aproaching the hill, then it doesn't need to downshift as much.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't given the cruise a good test yet because my engine is still at the point where it's not supposed to go a constant speed for long (break-in). Still, I think dad tested it and it worked ok.

I do wish it had some lighting other than the on off light as it's impossible to see in the dark.

Quick Reply: cruise control help