Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cup holder illumination Tip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Matts xB
Do cups even fit in there?

I bought those Pilot brand pre-wired LEDs at autozone long long time ago. I chose the hyper white ones and the light output was inconsistent among the 3 LEDs. I ended up going to a supply store and buying wire, LEDs, and resistors and soldering them myself...
Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I usually have a 20oz bottle and they fit perfect..

Matt
Old 03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like Im on my way to autozone! a fun little mod for those of us a little low in the pocket book
Old 03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the xB have the blue connector in question? If not is there a similar super easy way to do this on the xB?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it depends what transmission you have for an xb... if you have a manual tranny the connector should be there and free for you to use.

On an auto its still there, but something in the shifter is connected to it. On a factory install, the light kit has some kind of pass-through piggy-back adaptor.

I just followed fujiz's advice (i have auto) and wired an add-a-circuit line from the fuse relay rather than trying to tap into that line.

I should have pics of the install up whenever i find my camera's usb link cable
Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that would be great I would like to do it as well in my Xb
Old 04-04-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
it depends what transmission you have for an xb... if you have a manual tranny the connector should be there and free for you to use.

On an auto its still there, but something in the shifter is connected to it. On a factory install, the light kit has some kind of pass-through piggy-back adaptor.

I just followed fujiz's advice (i have auto) and wired an add-a-circuit line from the fuse relay rather than trying to tap into that line.

I should have pics of the install up whenever i find my camera's usb link cable

I would be interested in the pics as well. Thx Chimmy3!!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kacosta
but a switch that shows a drink icon and the word ill .... im suprised no one has complained... what a cool switch.. you could buy the switch only from the dealer and use it for wahtever
one hunert percent! that factory ill switch is the, ah, "illest" thing ever (as stated in my profile). even if you buy a bentley (vw) for $160K, you still can't get no factory ill switch.

it says "ill"!! folks, that's cool.

humor advantage: scion.

i want to get one of those switches to put in the blank between the foglights and the alarm light. i hate blanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member

This sounds great! My wife will laugh at me too (I'm 34) but my son might think it looks like Buzz Lightyear (so I will be cool in his eyes).
Old 04-06-2005, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member

Hello everyone, brand new member here.

Just thought I'd let you guys know - I got such a kick out of the "ill switch" jokes in this thread, I made an obvious reference in my choice of user name.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

great little mod, got some LED's from Pep boys and put them in. Just installed my new Scion arm rest and lit up the back cupholder too. looks pretty good i'll post some pics of it soon.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does that cold heat soldering thig actually work? i might buy it instead of buying a butane soldering iron
Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
does that cold heat soldering thig actually work? i might buy it instead of buying a butane soldering iron

yes cold head works...

incase you are wondering how the tip of the soldering iron is actually 2 tips, when you stick a piece of metal ( solder ) inbetween the 2 tips it essential arcs electricity through the solder heating it up and melting it.

Lets all not forget about the best switch replacement out there... go to lowes! the part number's in the 2nd picture.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member

Default Use Glow wire to light up cup holder

I have used EL Wire. This is a 2.3mm Flexable vinal tubeing wire that I have glued along the inside of the cup holder. The wire lights up similar to Neon b ut not as bright and without any heat. This is an awsome effect of outlining the bottom of the cup holder with a lit ring. The EL wire comes in any color and run on 12vdc. You can buy kits but the problem with all of these kits is their manafactureing method causes the connection of where the glowire is connected to a power feed wire. You can do a google search for EL Custom Shop. There are alot of reviews that will then go into more detail on the quality problems.

Mike

Does anyone know where I can find the Speed Pulse single wire? I need to tap into it for my navigation system.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

Excellent thread. There was no way I'd pay $299 for something like lighted cup holders, but I have a bunch of blue LEDs lying around, and wouldn't mind trying this for the price of some resistors. A couple of questions for those who have done this:

1. What value resistor did you use? And were the resistors in series with the LEDs?

2. For anyone who also put LEDs in the "oven." Where did you place them and how did you get access/hide the wires?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i believe its around a 480 ohm resistor in serious with the led, make sure to run each resistor/led in parallel with each other tho.

as for the bread oven it comes out so easy. take all 3 grey ***** off your ac/heat control, undo the 2 screws, one right one left, simply pull the center dash out from the siver side pieces, unhook the 3 plugs on the back. next just pull your bread oven out, and if you want unclip the cigg lighter from the back. ITS ALL EASY!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

After I installed the blue leds in my cup holders I could see them reflecting off the windshield at night, drove me crazy. My solution was to grind down the led so that it was flush with the led holder surface, (not too far, don't grind into the conductors) then place a short piece of heat-shrink tube over each and heat it just enough to snug up to the led, and leave a little shield or snoot sticking out over the end. To accomodate the extra thickness of the tubing, I stretched the plastic radio shack led holder a bit and used a 17/64th bit instead of a 1/4" for the hole. It took a little finessing but I know have the lovely cup holder glow without the annoying blue dot in my field of vision while driving at night.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by redneck69
i believe its around a 480 ohm resistor in serious with the led, make sure to run each resistor/led in parallel with each other tho.

as for the bread oven it comes out so easy. take all 3 grey ***** off your ac/heat control, undo the 2 screws, one right one left, simply pull the center dash out from the siver side pieces, unhook the 3 plugs on the back. next just pull your bread oven out, and if you want unclip the cigg lighter from the back. ITS ALL EASY!

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. Yet another 38 year old will now risk his wife's ridicule.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by wfredette
Excellent! Thanks for the tips. Yet another 38 year old will now risk his wife's ridicule.
Not to worry, I'm 45, god am I really that old? When my wife rolls her eyes about the time I devote to the box, I show her how much the dealer wants to install these goodies.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what voltage are the wires that you connect the LEDs to? I gotta make sure to buy the right resistor.

Quick Reply: Cup holder illumination Tip...