Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cup holder illumination Tip...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rebelMan
will this work on my 06 xB?
There shouldn't be anything to not allow this. There's a new AUX in port down there, right? That should be the only change.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

sweet, gonna do this soon then
Old 09-19-2005, 02:01 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rebelMan, My 05 xA has an 06 center concole and I had no problem doing this at all. in fact the pop out pannel where the aux port goes made it easier because I was able to pull it out and cut the hole for the Garner Bender switch (There is a link above to where you can order it). The Switch will not fit in the Aux port hole, but there is a littel outline molded into the underside of the pannel that the Aux port is in. just cut along the lines and pop the switch in. I did have to spread the legs of the switch to get a really snug fit, but that was it, Should be the same on the xB check before you order. If you can't put the switch there, you could always run the wires up to the three switch holes in the dash under the storage box.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member

Has this already been answered? Doesn't the $275 LED Illumination accessory include under the dash lights, not just cup holder lights? That is what I understood from the website. If not, are the wires in place for under the dash LEDs??
Old 09-26-2005, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe they are different jeep2scion.... i could be wrong
Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I need to know where to get the same LED's that come from the dealer package.
The cup holder lights came with my car I just want more of them.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I just finished mine. I found the LED lights at Best Buy for $4.99 and installed them last night. I took lots of pics, I'll post them up later today. I can't believe how much the dealer charges for this! I installed everything in 30 minutes. Best 5 dollar mod yet!

Now I just need to find bigger water bottles that don't fall out of the cup holders when I take off.

-THE DON
Old 10-11-2005, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the pics I promised...

Anyone with 5 bucks (for the LED lights) and a drill can do this. The car is so easy to take apart it's sad.

Just remove the center console

Here's the 5 dollar lights

And the finished product

I'm so glad I didn't drop $300 for the dealer lights. This was really easy and I love how it looks. It always used to be so dark down there!

-THE DON
Old 10-11-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

where did you drill the holes for the LEDs? And did you glue them in?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you drill the holes for the LEDs? And did you glue them in?
I put them in the lower inside corner. The LEDs have a plastic tip that "snaps" them into place once you drill the hole, so no glue. I did put some e-tape on the back just in case.

-THE DON
Old 10-11-2005, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

you don't see them there while driving right? That's cool that they snap in ^_^ You said you got them at Best Buy? I'll have to check it out
Old 10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you don't see them there while driving right? That's cool that they snap in ^_^ You said you got them at Best Buy? I'll have to check it out
Yeah, no reflection in the windshield or anything. They're not SUPER bright, just enough to give the cup holders a cool glow. The water bottles just reflect the light more.

They were at Best Buy near the car audio install kits. They had some blue headlight bulbs, and a bunch of crap with the Fast&Furious logo, and then they had these. Only $4.99. I'm gonna buy another pack just in case these burn out or something...

-THE DON
Old 10-11-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

sweet! What about the rear cup holder, did you do that one as well?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet! What about the rear cup holder, did you do that one as well?
I could have, the pack actually comes with 3 lights... But my aftermarket armrest covers my rear cup holder.

Once you take everything apart, it's real easy to put the lights anywhere you want.

-THE DON
Old 10-12-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

cool, i just wondered where i would put the light in the rear holder so that it wouldn't be noticeable by me and passengers but still look cool, maybe like a shield over the top of the led or something ...
Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did anyone manage to make these lights a toggle? I'll admit there are times when I don't want the extra interior lights on..
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Just put a switch between the 3 red (positive) wires from the LEDs and the top left tie in.

I just bought the Advanced Auto APC Put Anywhere 3 LED kit for 8$. Being that i have an auto it took a little bit of extra time. Thanks to those pics that were posted, i stripper a section back of the top left and right wires (positive and ground) and just soldered into it like a "T" shape. Taped it up, plugged it in and it looks awesome! I couldn't get the black little housing things to seat right in the 7/32" holes i drilled so i just glued the LEDs in the holes. I figured they wouldn't get too hot to melt the glue or anything (i hope). The hardest part of it was cleaning that felt crap off and drilling the holes (and shaving off the pieces on the other end of the holes that were drilled >_<). I was surprised at the output of the LEDs, you can see them in the day time and they're really bright at night. I post pics up soon.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Took some pics, i know they're blurry, the pics don't do the mod any justice. It's so hard to believe that for 8$~ and like 1~ hour you can do a mod so cool!

While i was at it with the cheap mods, i bought a pair of #194 bulbs. 5$ for blue glass license plate bulbs that show up hyper white. Looks pretty cool for another cheap mod.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just put a switch between the 3 red (positive) wires from the LEDs and the top left tie in.

I just bought the Advanced Auto APC Put Anywhere 3 LED kit for 8$. Being that i have an auto it took a little bit of extra time. Thanks to those pics that were posted, i stripper a section back of the top left and right wires (positive and ground) and just soldered into it like a "T" shape. Taped it up, plugged it in and it looks awesome! I couldn't get the black little housing things to seat right in the 7/32" holes i drilled so i just glued the LEDs in the holes. I figured they wouldn't get too hot to melt the glue or anything (i hope). The hardest part of it was cleaning that felt crap off and drilling the holes (and shaving off the pieces on the other end of the holes that were drilled >_<). I was surprised at the output of the LEDs, you can see them in the day time and they're really bright at night. I post pics up soon.
It's funny reading thru this thread today, because last night I installed the Autozone LEDs in the XB. Glad to see so many other people using the Autozone LEDs because in the back of my mind I was thinking that these weren't going to be decent LEDs. I bought a pack of the LEDs that had the switch on the package and a pack without the testing switch.

I'll have pics tnoight, but I installed two LEDs in the cup holders, 1 LED in the storage hole above the glove box and 1 LED in each A/C vent next to the stereo. Have to find a way to get LEDs in the other two vents at each end of the dash. I have an aftermarket armrest, so I don't have a rear cupholder to mount an LED in.

They are all wired up to a blue switch I mounted next to the e-brake, so I'm able to turn them on and off when I want. A few nights ago I installed Randode's cold cathode kit, so the interior looks awesome now with a blue glow.

Power is coming from a terminal power strip that is mounted under the glove box back out of sight. That power strip is connected directly to the battery, so it always has power. Although it does have a power switch if I ever need to turn it off. Currently that strip is powering the LEDs and a glowing blue double power socket. But there are 5 more terminals available for future add-ons.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

i really want to LED out the other small comparments. Where can i get a positive feed (when the head/parking lights are on) in the dash? I don't want to run wires down to the center console, too much of a mess IMO. I think i'll put maybe 2 LEDs in the big cubble avoe the glove box, 1 in the bottom of the little square hole next to the glovebox, 1 in each of the short rectagle holes on the sides of the sterring wheel ^_^. If i put one in that large rectangle space behind the steering wheel i think it would drive me nuts at night >_<.

Maybe i'll put some in the door pockets and handles too. Then i have to do something about the rear area that has NO light at all lol. I think a cathode would take care of that .... but where would i mount it ...

Quick Reply: Cup holder illumination Tip...