Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

dash on scion xa bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default dash on scion xa bubbling?

we noticed that we have what looks like a defect on our dashboard behind the steering wheel. looks like the 'golfball' like dash has a spot that has 'bubbled up'. went to clean it and ended up with small white spots where the paint must have come off on the dash. dealer is trying to say it happened due to protectant used. field rep is going to look at it next week. anyone have same problem?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

One of my door side panels has bubbled up in a similar manner. I have not taken it to the dealer to have it fixed.

John
Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member

the field rep wants to see our scion himself this week. will let you know what he says. i have heard of situations that are the same. reading posts, many are using protectant on their cars and our dealership said not to. he told me that it appears to be caused by a chemical reaction to what i used and not a defect, but he would let the field rep decide. i think it is a defect. i would think scion owners would be lining up to get their cars fixed if it was due to a reaction to a protectant. we have had our scion, one of two, since february. kinda disappointing to look at this defect everyday on a new car.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my door panel

on my green xb there is a manufacture defect where the upholstrey is glued there is a lump that i know it shouldnt be there my silver xb doesnt have one.

What do you guys think i should do?

what i know by experience;
if it doesnt look normal then return it. I is a manuf. defect they should replace it.

thank you
Old 06-26-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a picture would be nice. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you-all are talking about.

You mention white spots on the dash, due to paint coming off. My dash is just plastic, I didn't know it was a different color underneath...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

best way to describe it without a picture, is if you filled in just the small golf ball indentions with off white paint. the area affected is about a 3 inch circle just to the lower right of the dash behind the steering wheel. looks like the paint came off in these little dents. some of the dents in this 3 inch circle are white while some parts of this area there are no dents, as if the paint bubbled up covering the spot where a dent should be. the scion service rep told me that the painted surface does not react well to protectants, so i am assuming that our dash is painted plastic of some sort and looks to be an off white underneath. i would have thought they would have used a plastic that was black all the way through. i guess they painted it. i will find out more this week when they look at it. we love our scions, just want to get this defect fixed.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking since it's only inside of the bubbles that what happened is the protectant you used welled up inside the depressions and then was cooked by the sun or something and then reacted with the plastic turning it white.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: my door panel

Originally Posted by mushroomdreamer
on my green xb there is a manufacture defect where the upholstrey is glued there is a lump that i know it shouldnt be there my silver xb doesnt have one.

if it doesnt look normal then return it. I is a manuf. defect they should replace it.

thank you
Same deal with my xB. The front passenger door was the worst. The dealer replaced it under warranty. The new panel still has a noticeable bubble in the upholstery near the hand grip. The rear doors are fine. I've decided to leave it, since there are no rattles in the panels, and it's only really noticeable in certain light conditions. And my fear is that in replacing the front door panels, that something would start rattling.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's why I don't use armor-all or any other type of protectant. just Griots Garage interior CLEANER. Works great and leaves no streaks anwhere. And I have no plastic panel problems.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member

thanks for the idea using griots garage interior cleaner. sounds like it might be a solution going forward to keep um clean.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like that stuff. have fun
Old 06-28-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: my door panel

Originally Posted by jay_man2
Originally Posted by mushroomdreamer

thank you
Same deal with my xB. The front passenger door was the worst. The dealer replaced it under warranty. The new panel still has a noticeable bubble in the upholstery near the hand grip. The rear doors are fine. I've decided to leave it, since there are no rattles in the panels, and it's only really noticeable in certain light conditions. And my fear is that in replacing the front door panels, that something would start rattling.
Ive got the same problem on my green box. Passenger door panel has a bunch of lumps and I can easily see them. Also on the driver side there are a few. I have no idea what they are.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Annabellicious- did you use protectant?

And what brand? That info from you and from the rest who are having problems may serve the rest of us...
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
Annabellicious- did you use protectant?

And what brand? That info from you and from the rest who are having problems may serve the rest of us...
It's a bubble in the door panel upholstrey not on the actual dash. And as far as I know I haven't done anything to the upholstrey there but vaccuum it.