Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Dashboard paintjob

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dashboard paintjob

The previous owner of my 2005 scion xb decided to paint all of the dash & doors etc blue and white...only they sucked at it and its chipping & doesnt look well. ive looked around and read that most chemicals to remove the paint damage the plastic under the paint. does any one know the best way to remove paint from the dash? aswell as the best way to repaint the dash.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It may be helpful to provide pics of the dash that was painted to see what u wish to correct ?

Regular chemical paint removal may not be an option for what is already done on plastic.
Chances are they did a bad prep job and it will come right off.

Here are some options

1. Try rubbing alcohol or some plastic car modelers use brake fluid to strip paint from old bodies. Takes some time but doesn't hurt the plastic.

2. Motsenbocker Lift Off spray
Water-Based, Biodegradable, Low VOC. Read up on it, for there are different sprays for various kinds of paints + see if it is safe on plastic.

3. Any chemical can damage the dash but acetone leaves it shiny and glossy not dull or white like other chemicals. Nail polish remover on a small cloth may take it off. Carefully test a small area and don't get it too wet. The acetone in polish remover will damage plastic parts if it is on to long, so you will need to do small sections. Keep a water spray bottle with some dish detergent/towels handy to clean the area each time to remove the nail polish remover. You have to be careful and work small areas at a time.

4. They make a paint specifically designed to paint dashes to match the interior of the car. You can pick it up anywhere they sell auto paint. They also sell small sprayers that you can pour the paint into for application. To paint it right so it will stick there is a lot of prep work and cleaning. If your not going to take the dash out then there is a ton of masking that has to be done. Painting them in the car is tough, the over spray gets everywhere. I would try the acetone first.

5. Another option to cover your dash may be to get your dash wrapped or buy a on line dash kit to help cover up some areas. If you get a dash kit you will need to purchase 1/2 pint 3M 94 primer $22.00 thru Amazon.com to help with the adhesion. The dash kit dealers will send u some primer sticks, but they are not enough + some dry out + they have little liquid inside for use. So u will need more

6. For your whole dash cover up, you could use DonJer Suede-Tex Soft Flocking(Nylon Fibers), which has the UV protection + not discolor like the rayon flocking fibers. But, the colors are limited. This will give it a suede look. I used this for my o'shiit handles, pillars + top seatbelt holder to match my black suede headliner.

I hope this helps some,
Good Luck.........
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are a couple pictures...as you can see the one picture by the door handle the paint is really screwed up.

I haven't tried any of your ideas yet...when i get some free time; i will test a couple and get back to you here!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard paintjob-2012-07-06-09.37.34.jpg   Dashboard paintjob-2012-07-06-09.37.48.jpg   Dashboard paintjob-2012-07-06-09.38.00.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by LanceC85
Here are a couple pictures...as you can see the one picture by the door handle the paint is really screwed up.

I haven't tried any of your ideas yet...when i get some free time; i will test a couple and get back to you here!

Thanks
Wow, looks like a very intensive long project to try to correct. Which at the end may not be to your liking and may still suck after all your hours working on it. Even if you repainted it, remember paint always can scratch.

I personally would try to call a local junk yard + replace the whole dash/doors to stock if I was unhappy. Just see how much they are asking + may be worth it without the hours of labor headache.

Good Luck
Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just curious, did u start your dash project or get the paint off?