Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY AUX INPUT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY AUX INPUT

OK im working on adding some things to my xb, i have both a 5-6in screen which im not sure i want to hookup yet and a Creative Zen Vision: M

all i need is audio input into the radio, but FM transmitters sucks *****. im definatly not going to spend 100-300 dollars on some stupid "scion-xb aux converter" when i know all it is is wiring in a box to look like its something that its not. I need to know if anyone has the wiring diagrams for all the outputs on the stock 2005 single CD pioneer head unit for the xb. once i get this information i can create my own harness and go from there, i tried searching around and all i could find was the wiring colors (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=radio+wiring)
but this doesnt tell me the locations or pin numbers, does anyone have this information?

i have a subscription to alldata but thier electrical wiring diagrams are pretty simplistic. if i could get all the pinouts for the headunit that would be great, but since im trying to get mainly just the audio inputs i think i only need them for these plugs

im confident that it shouldnt cost more than 20-30 bucks to create my own setup.
i like to take lots of pictures and document everything so a write-up will definatly ensue.
thanks in advance
--chris
Old 08-06-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and i also forgot to put this, im also trying to install a aftermarket amp, so these wiring will help there as well, for that im trying to find the wiring that the stock bazooka used, there has got to be a preinstalled harness or something that it uses, so im trying to find that as well. i know theres a few bazooka install threads, im going to try to find those and make out the wiring colors from the pictures, hopefully thatll help
Old 08-06-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOOT! to the zen vision:m i love that thing cant wait to get one but i bought stuff for my car instead. ne way back to topic, so what your saying is you have the headunit with the aux input and ipod input right?? not sure what you are trying to acomplish i have the 06 single cd dont know if they are diff. i thougth all the heads came with an aux in or do you want it to be better than that one cause mine sucks you have to turn it up to like 40 to hear anything.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no i have the 2005 stock headunit, no aux input, basicialy the bottom of the line headunit. only thing it has is mp3-cd playback and xm capability
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could always go to the Toyota service site and buy it for a day for about $20. you can access diagrams to all the Toyota vehicles.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah ive thought about that, i had an old radio out of my dads 2003 corolla, i was able to snag some of the harness from that, im sure thatll help, im trying to cross reference everything right now, between scion, toyota, and even some stuff from bazooka, metra and other places that have refrences to the audio system
Old 08-10-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The little box thing that comes with the 100-200 aux inputs is a CD Changer/XM emulator you can have all the pin outs in the world with out the protacol for the radio and the changer you are going to have a hell of a time figuring it out
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We sell the Peripheral Aux2Car for 75.00 shipped

If anyone wants one let me know
Old 08-11-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you put me down for trying to progress the knowledge of meself and others, then you try to push your sales, nice.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Partially Solved

this is what ive worked out so far

-----------------------------------
Harness A -
Pin - Color/stripe - Purpose -
A1 - Grey - Right Front (+)
A2 - Grey/White - Right Front (-)
A3 - White - Left Front (+)
A4 - White/Black - Left Front (-)
A5 - Black - Ground
A6 - Blue - Power Antenna
A7 - Red - 12v Ignition/Acc
A8 - Blue/White - Amp Turn-On
A9 - Yellow - 12v Battery/Memory
A10 - orange/White - Dimmer

Harness B -
Pin - Color/stripe - Purpose -
B1 - Green - Left Rear (+)
B2 - Green/Black - Left Rear (-)
B3 - Orange/Black - Unknown (Illumination??)
B4 - Violet/Black - Right Rear (-)
B5 - Violet - Right Rear (+)
Old 08-11-2006, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweetness mack you doin great...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep it up man, this is very interesting. Would be a sweet writeup.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was simple offering you an affordable option for something that you can not build yourself becasue the 05 radio needs to be tricked into thinking that the xm is there to activate the audio input portion of that plug and to give you the newly added AUX as a source
Old 08-11-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<---- would really be interested in this.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

quick update, i spent a couple days making male-to-female harness for the radio, should have only took like 20-30 min but i wanted to get it done clean, its basicialy like an extension for the harness with each wire tapped so i can freeley access each wire without touching the stock wire harness, (you know, warrentys and such, lol) funny thing is i went to the store and found one hella cheap, lol its all good the one i made only costed me a few bucks to make, but now i have two,

im going to try to pull the radio out soon, maybe this weekend, i spent lst weekend making a hitch for the car because i had to tow my superjet from fresno to san jose. ill probably post that in another post though.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish. I think you are trying to get an auxiliary input into you OEM head unit. If this is the case, and you have successfully made a harness to do so, I think, you need to have a trigger to let the radio know you are using the input. Most OEM radios need this “trigger” to access the XM or CD Changer input to be used as an AUX input. If you are unsuccessful at doing this, then I can help you out. My store sells Peripheral, PAC and Soundgate. I have many solutions to get the job done. And because you are a “Brother”, I will sell it to you at my store cost. I’m not trying to make a buck off of you, I just want to help you with a more convenient and reliable solution. Cool?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if all else fails i just might have to take you up on that offer king, thanks!

as far as what im doing is two part,
1. im hooking up an amp to my car without disturbing any stock wires or harnesses. (pretty easy)

2. im trying to get audio input for my dvd player, i have a dvd player under the seat and a 5 inch lcd screen, video goes to the screen, audio goes to the radio.

of course i could buy ready made harnesses, but why pay for something i can most likley make myself. Just like taking your car in for a oil change, why pay for it when you can do it for free. anytime any problem has ever arose in any of my car/jetski/atv's i just took the money i would have spent on labor (i.e. jet ski labor is $120/hr) and put most of it towards any new tools i would need to get the job done.

Like i had stated in my last post, i was perfectly willing to buy a hitch, but everyone i called in san jose and fresno was out of stock. so i just built my own, i allready had the steel, welder, gooseneck and pictures of mouting points and design of ones you buy. all i paid for was 4 bolts, and a sunburn from welding.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nada Problemo
Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member

That will be a a good info. I have a faulty usa-spec 2 input , The wiring harness going to the HU seems to have a standard color coding (i.e. rd,blk,ylw @ 2 shielded wires indicating audio???) I can give it to you at a local scion meet, Scion night @ Marine World this Sept. if you think it will help? I have to unplug and plug this USA-spec unit every 2 or 3 weeks because the head unit does not even detect that its connected.

Jake valera
sbccomputer@yahoo.com
Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck with your work, god knows us 05 guys need an afforadable aux in.

Quick Reply: DIY AUX INPUT