Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY: Make Oven Light Turn On With Headlights (w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY: Make Oven Light Turn On With Headlights (w/Pics)

Ok, this is my first DIY so be gentle. Today I will be showing you how to wire up the cubby (aka The Oven) light so that it turns on when you turn on your headlights. Now this is probably not the easiest way to do this but it's the only way that I know how. Feel free add constructive criticism.

Step 1: First thing that we need to do is remove the screw holding in the center console.

Step 2: Now we need to remove the cover for the iPod and AUX ports, take your finger and pull up from under the E-brake area. The cover should pull off without too much trouble. Then you need to disconnect the plugs that are attached to the AUX and iPod ports.

Step 3: Now when you've made sure that there are no more wires attached to the AUX and iPod ports, go ahead and put the cover back on just to keep everything together. Now there are 2 Snaps located directly under the cup holders that hold the front end of the center console down. Pull up on the cup holders and the entire center console will come lose. Remove the center console, be careful not to scratch the oven door while taking it off.

Step 4: Now you car should look like this. **Note: I already removed the silver trim here but if you don't know how to do that then read this post https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37733

Step 5: Find the blue plug under the Auto shifter and unplug it.

Step 6: Here you can see what wires you need to tapp. You can tapp the power like how I did using wire connectors or you can buy those special wire tap connects. ***Optional: If you hate the O/D switch as much as I do, go ahead and cut the wire. All it does is disable your 4th gear and wast your gas, even the manual says to leave it on. For me, the switch was annoying because my leg would sometimes hit it.

Step 7: Unscrew everything from the cubby down, this will make this easier. At this point go ahead and put your car in the ON position and shift into L gear, this will move the shifter out of your way and let you remove the cubby. Once you have done that, put your car back in PARK and turn the car off.

Step 8: Ok, here comes the tricky part. I don't know how to remove that very bottom piece so we will have to work around it. Take an old metal coat hanger and use it to snake your power wires under the carpet in the direction shown. When it comes out the other end, you should be able to tuck it under the plastic lip so that it will not be visible.

Step 9: Cut the two little black wires leading to the cubby light, and use wire connectors to connect them to your new power wires that you just ran. It's ok if you get the + and - mixed up because all you have to do to fix that is just flip the bulb.

If you've made it this far using my poor instructions, give yourself a pat on the back! Technically all you have to do is put everything back and your done, but if you want to have more fun with LEDs read below.

For extra uniqueness, you can put a color changing LED in the 2nd bottom cubby area, using the same power source.

If your into lighted dials then take a 5mm LED and wedge it into the clear piece of the dials, then solder on a 470 Ohm resister. Do that for each dial, then wire everything up to the same power source as above.

Once your done your car should look like this...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that looks nice
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wired mine to the havc lights so it'll still turn on with my headlights and i can dim 'em too!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, thanks for the pics
Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
i wired mine to the havc lights so it'll still turn on with my headlights and i can dim 'em too!
Cool, I forgot to mention they I can dim the lights too. But what wire did you tap from the havc harness? Would have been easier if knew where that power wire was.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SanchezHacker
Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
But what wire did you tap from the havc harness? Would have been easier if knew where that power wire was.
x2
Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally did this, well...actually my dad did most of it, haha. He wanted to try to run the power from the fuse but that became evidently unsuccessful. Anyways, at the end he drew power from the red wires that are to the left of the shifter.

You can see them in this picture..

It's basically just the bulb light for the shifters P, R, N, D, 2, L. It might be an easier alternative for some, than to draw the power from the blue plug. And it dims as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice write up. for my cupholder LEDs, i tapped the wire on the blue plug for power. that seems like a common route for many people.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know this is old but if the person who connected it to the HVAC please explain =]
Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

green wire for + and white with green tracer for -
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll take a look at it when i get home. if you can get a picture it would help a lot.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

saddly i don't
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 AM

What is the purpose of doing this? Sorry, I am on day 2 of having a 2006 xa..

Just looking for some fun mods.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joey3002
What is the purpose of doing this? Sorry, I am on day 2 of having a 2006 xa..

Just looking for some fun mods.
Any interior lighting mod is for two reasons: cool looking, OR useful at night.
If you have an auto, tapping the wires for the shifter light is simple.

Mod away!