Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Does this exist? In-dash CD changer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Does this exist? In-dash CD changer.

In the continuing quest to get out of the stock Pioneer HU with its upgrade-limiting proprietary busses and all, I have scoured the net for a decent double-din unit that has advanced features and no cassette player. There is one Japanese-market Alpine that has a 3-disc changer, but of course the radio tuner is worthless for US FM frequencies.

The one feature that my wife is looking for and thus is willing to accept the upgraded Scion HU $$$ is a CD changer. Yes she realizes that with mp3s you don't need one, but she doesn't want to invest the time to compile and burn mp3 CDs, she just wants the convenience of loading several store-bought CDs into the unit and going on with life.

So is anyone aware of a stand-alone single-din multi-CD changer that can be installed into the second slot of a double-din adapter? Seems like a no-brainer, especially with the prevalence of hatchbacks in Europe and Japan (i.e. no "trunk" to hide the CD-changer). Yet I have not located any by the major manufacturers.

She wants Sirius and multi-CDs and could care less about DVD, TV, game inputs, I-Pod or Navigation and the other eye candy that comes with an expensive LCD-based HU system. Her car is coming in a few weeks; so it is becoming "go" time quickly to decide on the port-installed Scion HU.

Thanks.

B.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Does this exist? In-dash CD changer.

What do you have against a regular 6-cd changer in the trunk? If you don't like the location (which I personally don't) have it mounted under your seat. This way you can change the disks while your at a stop light etc instead of having to go to the trunk. Just a thought. I have never seen a stand-alone cd-changer that will fit in a single din slot.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Alpine use to make a 3 disc changer stated side that would eject the cd caddy out while it changes the cd's. I don't know if they still make them but you could probably find it on ebay. Although with all those moving external parts it would probably break over time. Heres a link to one on ebay to give you an idea what they look like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 08-11-2004, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheIcon
What do you have against a regular 6-cd changer in the trunk?
The aesthetically unpleasing empty slot under the single-din HU in a double-din adapter. She would like to fill it with a CD-changer and have the convenience of not having to reach down, under or around something inside the car to reach the CD changer.

Blaupunkt makes one (IDC-A), but I'm not thrilled with their HU.

B.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bushido
Originally Posted by TheIcon
What do you have against a regular 6-cd changer in the trunk?
The aesthetically unpleasing empty slot under the single-din HU in a double-din adapter. She would like to fill it with a CD-changer and have the convenience of not having to reach down, under or around something inside the car to reach the CD changer.

Blaupunkt makes one (IDC-A), but I'm not thrilled with their HU.

B.
I was going to say there doesn't have to be a hole udner the single din. Depends on how you install it. But anyway it sounds like the lady of the house wants it in a specific place. Women...so much trouble sheesh
Old 08-12-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think Nakamichi used to make an in-dash changer also. Not sure if they still do.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Try this....

http://www.nakamichiusa.com/auto/musicbank/mb_75.htm
Old 08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sharke_7
Thanks,

But what i am really looking for is a head unit companion component, not an all-in-one. that Nakamichi looks like a really nice unit though.

I think we will just wind up with a Scion 6-disc, much less hassle and what we want doesn't yet exist. Hope these stock Pioneers sound as good as everyone says they do.

B.