Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Door Lock Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Door Lock Actuator

Is it possible that a failing door lock actuator on the driver's door can cause the alarm to set off when you lock the doors with the factory keyless entry? Here's my situation:
My 2004 Xb was having issues with the factory keyless entry last year to the point that I had the local Scion dealer disable the horn on the alarm. It started with the factory alarm going off occasionally (once every couple months) and got progressively worse. I figured I could install an after market keyless entry/remote start and solve the problem so I did that, but it just made things worse. It is now to the point that I only lock the doors with the key.
I noticed one thing back when it started happening but didn't put the two together until recently. The driver's door lock has been slower than the rest for a while. It has gotten to the point now that it sometimes won't even lock the door. If I use the passenger door to enter the car, the lock on the driver's door won't even unlock. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue with the door lock actuator? Is it possible that a failing door lock actuator on the driver's door can cause the alarm to set off when you lock the doors with the factory keyless entry? Does anyone know of another vehicle that uses the same driver's door lock actuator as the 1st gen. Scion Xb or does someone have an actuator laying around that there selling? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If your door lock actuator is failing the cheapest route is to just put an aftermarket one in there. cost you less then $10 for one and you can use the same wires going to your door actuator.

The key cylinder itself has a arm and disarm wire attached in most cases so if you use the key to enter the vehicle it will turn it on and off in case you lose the key fob. If you remote your steering column you can unplug the alarm harness from the key cylinder and plug the factory one back in. (remove the alarm jumper) This will disable the factory alarm entirely.

Although I doubt the actuator would cause this issue its more then likely a faulty door trigger bad door harness connection or an improper alarm install.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

MY 2004 xb just had the door actuater replaced under warranty. (I have the extended one). Sometimes the alarm would not arm, because the lock would not go down. When I manually put the lock down, and then set the alarm, sometimes, sporadically, the alarm would go off full force when I would return to the car and hit the unlock button. its the lock actuator