Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Door open light glows dimly

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Door open light glows dimly

Had my xB do something that seemed very odd at first. Maybe this will help someone save some trouble. My door open light started glowing dimly all the time when the doors were closed. All doors when opened made the light turn full on like normal but when the doors were all closed a dim glow remained in the light even with the ignition off and the key removed.

The solution!! Check all the grounds at the door open switches ( the screw that mounts them to the body is the ground at the 4 passenger doors) and make sure they are very tight (turn them in and out a bit to be sure that the threads are as clean as they can be and retighten). In the tailgate there is also a ground bolt near the center of the gate on the inside under the trim panel (there is another one on the left side grounding the rear defroster as well). Again be sure the threads are clean and very tight. My problem was this center ground bolt in the gate. It was pretty tight but not VERY tight. Apparently a little corrosion or something was effecting the ground. I loostened and retightened the bolt and operation returned to normal.

Knowing this ahead of time would have saved me the trouble of looking at my alarm installers crappy wiring for a problem (it is the only active system that is hooked to the door switch circuit when the car is off except for the door monitor lamp itself). I am glad I looked there however as I will have to go under my dash and fix what I paid him $200 labor to do...very sloppy...found a couple cut wires with the ends not even taped etc (not sure where you can find anyone to do a truely professional job on anything...I swear to god:/ ) When I want it right I find I usually have to do it myself!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i was gonna say some thing about the ground but it looks like you already knew about it and fixed!!!