Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Eclipse Nav install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default Eclipse Nav install question

We're picking up our new tC next week, and as a surprise for my wife I want to get her an Eclipse AVN 2454 nav/dvd system. The prices on eBay aren't too bad, and I'm thinking of doing the install myself. However, I have never done any kind of electrical install on a car before. I'm an IT tech so building computers is nothing new, but car electrical systems scare me

So, how easy is it to remove the existing head unit, and what can I expect to find back there? Is installing the Eclipse going to be "plug and play" or will there be wiring and soldering involved? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's going to be super easy on the electrical front. The standard Toyota/Scion wiring harness is the same as the Eclipse harness (because Eclipse makes most of the standard Toyota head units.) You won't even need a wiring harness adapter, just unplug th estock stereo and plug in the Eclipse.

You might need to drill the bracket or something to position the AVN 2454 so the door will close. You might also need to make some filler plates to hid=e gaps on the side.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I still want to sell mines

Interested?

Unit + remote $1,350 shipped. Money Order or Checks Only. Item will be sent when check clears.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ab7f88e9e17873
Old 04-14-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will have to drill the brackets to get it to fit just right. As for the gaps in the side Toyota makes the trim pieces to accomplish exactly that. Here's the part numbers:

86221-52060
86221-52050

They run $16 each and expect the parts guy/gal to give you the WTF look, they're in their parts system as something unusual. But, trust me just get them to order those part numbers and you'll get what you need.

Here's a pic of mine installed with the trim pieces (can't really see them), click on it for a larger version:
Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about the speed sensor and the GPS antenna? Where and how did you splice into the speed signal? Where did you put the GPS antenna?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cut?

Did you have to cut the round tubular thing in back on those side pieces?

If you take a look at my pic, those are the side pieces but I had to modify mines a bit in order for them to work. Plus only one hole align correctly with the side pieces which is strong enough to hold it in place.

Originally Posted by Thread
You will have to drill the brackets to get it to fit just right. As for the gaps in the side Toyota makes the trim pieces to accomplish exactly that. Here's the part numbers:

86221-52060
86221-52050

They run $16 each and expect the parts guy/gal to give you the WTF look, they're in their parts system as something unusual. But, trust me just get them to order those part numbers and you'll get what you need.

Here's a pic of mine installed with the trim pieces (can't really see them), click on it for a larger version:
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JSVH
What about the speed sensor and the GPS antenna? Where and how did you splice into the speed signal? Where did you put the GPS antenna?
I put the GPS antenna on top of my dash above the VIN plate. The unit comes with a felt pad you place on the dash with a magnet that the antenna holds on to. It's surprisingly easy to snake the antenna cord down the dash.

To be specific, I ran the antenna cable from the antenna, down the dash through the drivers kick panel by the dead pedal and then across to the head unit.

I can't remember which wire is the speed sensor but I called my dealer's service dept and they were able to tell me so I spliced into that.

Also, if you want to be able to change destinations and such while driving (or watching a movie in stopped traffic) make sure the wire that goes to the parking brake is always grounded.

Don't cut corners, attach to the backup lights as well per the instructions so the unit knows when you're reversing. I cut this corner and until I corrected it the GPS got confused when I backed out of my driveway and thought I was on another street or not on one at all until I either turned or the GPS got a good satellite lock.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cut?

Originally Posted by RanmaP
Did you have to cut the round tubular thing in back on those side pieces?

If you take a look at my pic, those are the side pieces but I had to modify mines a bit in order for them to work. Plus only one hole align correctly with the side pieces which is strong enough to hold it in place.

86221-52060
86221-52050

My side pieces fit without a problem, didn't have to cut anything. But I was really **** about placing it doing all kinds of measurements since the Magnolia guys screwed it up and installed it too far back looking like crap and shorting out the wires for the parking brake and reverse lights causing a fuse to blow and the dash going dark as well as headlights and turn signals. So, I re-did it, and re-did it right, measure measure measure and then drill the brackets where the measurements come out to and you're set. My lid closes and opens properly, it's flush with the hole and the screen opens and closes with no clearance problems.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

86221-52060
86221-52050

will these work for the gap with the Kenwood DDX7015?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, how do the trim pieces attach? do they snap on? glue? screws?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JSVH
Also, how do the trim pieces attach? do they snap on? glue? screws?
If you look at them from the top they're L shaped and there's a mounting hole on one of the sides that one of the mounting screws goes through to basically sandwich it between the unit and the mounting brackets.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota Part Numbers

Those part numbers did the trick....They work great..Thanks for the info....
Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm planning on getting the same HU soon. Anyone in the So Cali area know of a good place that sells them for a good price?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Definitely leaning more towards that Eclipse, rather than the Kenwwod now!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 05-17-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have a double din radio but I have two single dins. I made my own trim piece out of abs plastic and it only cost me $10. I attached it with some hot glue,