Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

First day on the forum...have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default First day on the forum...have some questions

Hey guys and gals! My name is Jason and this is my first day on this forum. I am currently a regular on all the mazda forums since I own a 2002 Mazda Protege 5. I live in Illinois and we currently do not have the Scions available here yet. My wife drives a 95 Nissan 240sx which we are looking to trade in on a xB once they arrive at our local dealership. We have a daughter and need more room than the Nissan can provide.

Here are my questions. I am a car audio installer at Circuit City (come on poke and laugh I know you want to) and I actually do a great job and take pride in my work. We haven't had any Scions come through yet since they aren't available out here. So my questions are this. What dash kit and wire harness do they take (model numbers and brands please)? Do they use a standard iso mount config. or is it a little bigger than a standard iso mount (any gaps if you iso mount it)? Does the key use any kind of transponder? What kind of sites are there that sell aftermarket equipment for the xB? Thanks for all your guys help and if anyone needs help on car audio questions, I'll help the best I can.

Please check out my car and leave feedback.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just seems weird that an audio installer asks these questions. It seems like people would expect these answers out of you rather than out of us.

But check out scosche.com for harnesses and such for the xB.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Jason,

1st off welcome to the forums. 2nd there's no shame on asking question no matter who or what you do. That's how we learn in the 1st place. I too work for circuit city (loc#0405) lead installer. Say whatever or poke at circuit but it really depends on who's working on your car that matters. As long as you take pride in your work!

Anyways as for your questions the radio will fit by iso mount but you'll have gaps on the side and the kit that i have been using for my customers are the one for the echo which fits pretty good. Second, there is no bypass keys needed for the xB. You can actually get wire info either thru here or thru ccroadshop under browse.

If you have anymore questions feel free to either pm or call me thru circuits 1(700) #

Hubert
Old 02-21-2004, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

CrxB, do you have any close pic of the installation ?? (just want to see the gap before do anything)thanks Sean
Old 02-21-2004, 09:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x x
Old 02-21-2004, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WELCOME!!! Scionists are everywhere... it's becoming like the pod people... *chuckle* not to hijack your thread but along the same lines, what all is back there behind the head unit, I'm in the process of assembling/designing a head unit replacement computer (I have the motherboard and whatnot, just need to buy a dc-dc converter and find a decently priced touchscreen LCD screen)... are there mounting rails back there or will I need to fab a custom inclosure for it?
Old 02-21-2004, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by one80ikyu
Just seems weird that an audio installer asks these questions. It seems like people would expect these answers out of you rather than out of us.

The reason I asked is because like I said we haven't had any come through yet. According to Scoshe's website they don't have it listed and neither does Metra. It may be listed under a diff vehicle for the same application though. Like Hubert said, the Echo kit works. Thats all I was asking for. Man sometimes its like pulling teeth on these forums. Thanks Hubert. you have any pics of your setup. I have alot of questions because I haven't seen a xB in person yet.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SeaDrive
where in IL are you?
I've got an xB out here!
I live in Champaign, IL (University of Illinois area)

My local dealership said they weren't going to have any in until June.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JellyBean98

The reason I asked is because like I said we haven't had any come through yet. According to Scoshe's website they don't have it listed and neither does Metra. It may be listed under a diff vehicle for the same application though. Like Hubert said, the Echo kit works. Thats all I was asking for. Man sometimes its like pulling teeth on these forums. Thanks Hubert. you have any pics of your setup. I have alot of questions because I haven't seen a xB in person yet.

i know for a fact that schoche makes a kit for it i used the schoche kit on mine lol
Old 02-22-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not saying scosche or Metra do not have a kit, it is just not listed on thier website under Scion. just wondering if anyone knows what the model number is. Like I said, it may be under a diff. car that works for the same application though.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am glad you came on here asking about it to get it right then have to test it on a customers car. some people don't understand that scions are completely new and not everyone has had a chance to work on them or know the wiring yet,
Old 02-22-2004, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I have read it takes a standard Metra 70-1761 harness. Just would like to know what dash kit people are using. Obviously they are not just iso mounting them because it seems there would be a noticeable gap on the sides of the radio.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wassup everyone...been raining so i took my digicam and took a pic of the gap for you guys. if you guys are wondering why i didn't use any kit...well im waiting for my indash dvd player that goes under the alpine cva-1004 then i will fill those gaps! i'll post pics after i fill those gaps until then....enjoy!

BTW click the link and check out some pics of my xB and CRX

CRxB

hope this helps,
hubert

oh yeah...standard Metra70-1761 wire harness. Toyota hasn't changed their plug since 1986. lil info i just wanna throw in.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just saw this is my new Car Audio & Electronics magazine. In case anyone else needs a model number for a dash kit. This is the regular Scosche kit and the one that has the cd trays.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

they dont have em there yet.. how would he have seen one to know... hes asking simple questions u dont gotta flame him...
Old 02-25-2004, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CRxB
Jason,

1st off welcome to the forums. 2nd there's no shame on asking question no matter who or what you do. That's how we learn in the 1st place. I too work for circuit city (loc#0405) lead installer. Say whatever or poke at circuit but it really depends on who's working on your car that matters. As long as you take pride in your work!

Anyways as for your questions the radio will fit by iso mount but you'll have gaps on the side and the kit that i have been using for my customers are the one for the echo which fits pretty good. Second, there is no bypass keys needed for the xB. You can actually get wire info either thru here or thru ccroadshop under browse.

If you have anymore questions feel free to either pm or call me thru circuits 1(700) #

Hubert
OMG...405...Isnt that good ole Buena Park?! I worked there like 11 years ago.. How funny. Anyways...I opt to not use a dash kit..

Good ole flush iso with a trim ring made from 1/4 MDF and brushed stainless steel.

Hopefully Imagestation will work..if not click on the link below

Old 02-25-2004, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Denny,

LOL yup that is good ol Buena Park. I've been working there for 4yrs now...lemme see 11yrs ago 0405 was in Beach Blvd now we're on La Palma Ave. Did you work Roadshop? Cause from the looks of your installs...seem Circuit was the stepping stone. Just curious!

Hubert
Old 02-25-2004, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yep...Good ole beach blvd...what a **** hole that place was..Our so called Roadshop (455) didnt even have a bay just a metal overhang with 6 installers. There would always be pimps and hos cruising around.

CC was a great starting place, i know a few people that have started from there and moved on to owning there own shops...One in particular Phaze II Autotrends in Lakewood. Both the owners came from CC from back in the day. People could knock mass retail all they want, but you get your hands on A LOT of cars, and really find out what kind of cars are really crap (all fords and gm's LOL)! From there if you decide you want to move on to a different field of 12v its all up to the installer. You can do whatever you put your mind to.

Anyways...maybe ill see you at a Scion Evo meet some day.

Later.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DenZinz
Our so called Roadshop (455) didnt even have a bay just a metal overhang with 6 installers.
Wow 6 installers huh must have been nice...now we're down to 3...1FT and 2PT

Originally Posted by DenZinz
People could knock mass retail all they want, but you get your hands on A LOT of cars, and really find out what kind of cars are really crap (all fords and gm's LOL)!
Yup try doing 85 cars the day after x-mas and 60 the next day with 2 installers in the mourning and 2 at night and lucky me gets all day shifts...hahaha.

Hubert
Old 02-25-2004, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Idiot--hey man, why don't you tell me all about the 2020 Honda Civic...oh yea, they don't exist where you live yet.

Quick Reply: First day on the forum...have some questions