Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Flexible LED Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default Flexible LED Wiring Help

Last night I was working on my car with some new parts from oznium. I got the four flexible LED strips and have installed them into my Oh $h#t Handle bars. I know that there is a tutorial on it but I am just not sure on the wiring and need some clarification. I already have them installed now i want to make them all run to a switch. Should I install an inline fuse? Another question that I had was I want to hook up to a power source but want to stay away from the factory install neons under the dash and seats. I have noticed that every time I have those on even if i just have the cupholders on they get a little dimmer. So what power source should I hook into? And lastly, does making the power wires longer dim the lights? Any help would be great.

Thanks alot,
Zack

I'll post some pictures once i'm done with everything! :D
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a fuse is always a good idea...
you can run the power to any constant power source if you are going to use a switch, or any power source that gets 12v+ with the key in the acc position, that will prevent any battery drain if you shut the car when the switch is still on. and for any intersive purpose, if you use wire that is the correct guage for the power handeling / length needed the lights will not dim based on the wire length. the led's don't use much juice at all. not like an amp..
Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you so much!!! Is there any power source that you would recommend?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would recommend an "add a fuse tap" you plug it into your fuse holder for what ever item you want to get power from and bam it adds a second fuse and line out for you lights. You can get them at any auto zone or car parts place and they work great! Heres a link: http://www.tessco.com/products/displ....do?sku=469004
Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh ignore the price there, they are only a couple bucks each at a car parts store, that link was so you could see what they are. Make sure you get the mini ones though!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
SL Member

If I were to wire this to my dome light, would lI jsut connect all the wires to the positive and negative on the dome light?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member

Yay!!! Thank you everybody for your help! I just finished tonight here at work so i will post some pictures of my box once i clean it all out tomorrow and give it a good wash down. Thank you I think this will be one of my last mods, but i always say that and then see something new lol

Thankyou again everybody

Zack
Old 02-09-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Pacer
If I were to wire this to my dome light, would lI jsut connect all the wires to the positive and negative on the dome light?
If you wire it that way, you won't be able to have them on when the dome light is off.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have lights in led strips in all head rests, Oh ISH handles, around everyspeaker, storage slots in doors 2 leds in each door handle, each heat vent, cold cathodes under dash and seat all hooked up to a switch, I also have under body lighting, cold cathodes in engine comp, used to have cathodes in every grille all ran off of a 7amp fuse no problem