Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

headrest tv or headliner ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default headrest tv or headliner ?

what does everybody like better ,i appreciate all opinions and pics,i want to put the biggest panel tv's i can,i still have not found a company that sells one for my dash that fits where the radio goes,i dont want a pop out one i want one that fits flush in the dash and two more in the back in the seats or the ceiling?whats the best place to get from
Old 08-02-2004, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put a 10.4" drop-down system in my xB. I've seen some with the screens in the back of the headrests, which looked pretty good too. I'd rather have the wires routed thru the headliner and such instead of putting a hole in my seats and running them down there. The 10.4" screen is plenty big for those backseat passengers. It blocks the rear view mirror as it is anyway. To me, one of the drawbacks of the headrest screens is it's hard to get them to fit absolutely flush. Another thing to consider is with multiple screens like that, you might have to get some kind of video amplifier gizmo to make sure both screens are getting enough of a signal.

Anyway, my vote is for the bigger headliner drop-down, and not one for the front, because it'll be a distraction for the driver...
Old 08-02-2004, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member

I just bought a sony CDX 9900 which has the same footprint as a radio. This head unit combined with a dvd (additional purchase) will allow you to watch a DVD. What I like about it is that at night, i can watch the video playing and the screen is not blinding in any way. I'm adding 2 headrest units for the passengers.
In my case, while I really liked some of these drop-down units, it just ate up too much space. Secondly I don't have any kids and only very seldom have passengers in the back....so the screen is really for me to watch when I'm sitting in traffic...
I'll try to post pics tonight
Notus
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might be a stupid question ?

Those headliner mounted screens with a dvd built in ..... When you mount it, what actually supports the weight ? Is there a hidden support under the headliner or does one need to be fabricated ?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member

i had a custom screen installed in place of the radio and had the head unit (Pioneer DVH P5000MP) mounted in the compartment under the ac controls.

http://www.akiracreative.com/law/scion/dash1.jpg
http://www.akiracreative.com/law/scion/dash2.jpg

as for the headrests, i figure if my passengers want to watch tv so badly, they can buy them for me.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by House Of Steel
This might be a stupid question ?

Those headliner mounted screens with a dvd built in ..... When you mount it, what actually supports the weight ? Is there a hidden support under the headliner or does one need to be fabricated ?

Thanks
I think there's a metal plate that the base screws/bolts into, and the headliner is sandwiched between the two. If the unit is heavy, like one of those that has the DVD player built into it, most likely the headliner will sag. The DVD player in mine fits into that storage compartment under the radio, and only the screen is mounted on the headliner.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

From the installs I've read about on here, I think sometimes they will glue something to the roof to support the weight. The headliners not really designed to support weight. There may be other ways...