Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Headunit in Xb's Cubby Spot--*Updated* Installed, but Qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Headunit in Xb's Cubby Spot--*Updated* Installed, but Qs

Hi, I've tried searching and searching and I can't find the thread discussing how to install a h/u in the storage compartment under the A/C controls. Can anyone point me to some info?

Thanks,
Nilus
Old 04-06-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Admin Emeritus
SL Member

well there was one guy in the classified section selling a premade one he had. But its pretty simple just start cutting away until the head unti fits flush & you can close the pocket w/ hitting any buttons on your h/u. Then screw the h/u into the pocket & your're done.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you get at the back of the cubby area to do things to it? Is there a way to go in from the sides? I haven't tried taking apart THAT much of my dash yet.

Since I apparently lose EQ if I get external amps (booo), I might be trying to stick an EQ into my cubby at some point.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just cut the whole back end off mine. The cubby tapers down, and hugs the source unit good. I did drill holes to bend the tabs up/down on the source unit sleeve. Like the above post said, you'll have to keep fitting it, to make sure the door closes w/o hitting any *****/buttons.

MattB
Old 04-06-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Helpful stuff so far. Thanks. I know there was a lengthy thread somewhere that mentioned the various layers of plastic and ductwork running behing the console. I'm actually having a professional installer do this, so I'm not too worried. But I thought it would be helpful if I could provide him with some basic info since he probably hasn't done this exact install before. Anyway, as long as the harness reaches (and I'm sure it does since tons of people have done this), it should go smoothly. My h/u (Rockford Fosgate 8250 Platinum i.e. rebadged Denon DCT-A1n) is also an ISO mount, so I'm thinking that will make this even easier. Will it?

Nilus
Old 04-07-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will have to cut plastic behind the storage bin if your head unit is long. Do not cut into the white duct work.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that whole cubby pops out of the dash, it would be a lot easier to work that way, but before you finalize and reinstall everything, be sure to temp fit the cubby back into the dash to make sure the head unit isnt sticking TOO far back into the dash and hitting that white plastic stuff back there
Old 04-10-2005, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member

Old 04-10-2005, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I had to extend some of the wiring on mine when I did this - but extending wires is the easiest part of this install. It is really pretty simple once you get into it.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, it's done. I like it, but I have a few concerns. First off, the installer claimed it was really difficult. I guess my H/U is about an inch longer than an Alpine unit, so they had to bend the ductwork with a heat gun to get it to fit. Everything works fine, but I’m a little paranoid. I told them if it was gonna be a PITA to just put it in the regular spot but I guess they wanted me to be happy. It also cost me a lot of money (@ $90 an hour). Any thoughts on whether bending the ductwork will cause a problem? What about the hot air flowing right past the H/U?

Also, they didn’t make a trim ring for the unit. They said they can do one if I want it, but I didn’t think it’s something I’d have to ask for.

Oh, and the door still doesn’t “click” shut because the volume button gets in the way. I was thinking that I could cut a little square in the back of the door so it would fit…any idea if that plastic is two layers? It looks like it is.

Thanks,
Nilus
Old 04-15-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Admin Emeritus
SL Member

Originally Posted by junklr
It took me & my buddy junklr about an 1 to 2 to test fit the h/u in the pocket, then retest after restest to make everything fit snug, pocket fit in place & didnt pop out, buttons didnt get pushed in when the lid is closed. So pretty much its trial & error but my h/u hasnt overheated on me but since its in the pocket & i have stock wheels. Dont slow down for railroad tracks & bumps in the road so my h/u skips alittle bit w/ cds im playing.