Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How do I calibrate my Speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default How do I calibrate my Speedometer?

Is the Scion speedo digital, in that it measures the wheel revolutions and speed with a speed sensor or does the Scion use the old gears and cables?

I want to get bigger tires and go beyond my OE wheels size but I need the speedo calibrated to match. I can't seem to find any shops that will do this. I can't find any prices for this on the internet. I've found products that let you plug in a labtop into your car's cpu and recalibrate your speedo but this is only if you have a digital speedo, which I'm not sure if the Scion has.

I have an xA and the wheel wells are huge. It's just crying out for some 18 inch wheels and some meaty tires. I don't dig that one inch sidewall look. If anyone knows any info about the Scion's speedo please, please let me know because I've been going crazy trying to figure this out. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member

Hey I searched around and I found many products that let you recalibrate your speedo but most were expensive and very vague about their compatibility. But I did find this one device and it supposed to be the best device in the world and is compatible with all Toyotas after 1992 which I'm sure applies to the Scion.

It's called the Yellow Box and is only 100 dollars and supposed to be really easy to install. I already placed an order and will let every one know how it well it works.

I know there's a lot of Scion owners that want bigger tires with their larger rims so I think this might be the answer.

http://www.blackrobotics.com/yb_home.htm
Old 05-29-2004, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

i look forward to hear how it goes... thanks for looking into this!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey. I was also wondering about a way to calibrate the speedometer because of the larger diameter of my wheels, so I gave these Yellow Box folks you mentioned an email. I also emailed them a PDF of our speed sensor circuitry from the xB service manual. It does not seem like they think it would be compatible with the xB. I believe that this is an issue with vehicles with ABS and skid control. We have speed sensors on all four wheels. It also appears that the speedometer runs a signal to the ECU which could get fouled up by any alteration. Below is the response I got from Yellow Box:

Hi,

I am not sure if it will be compatible with the Yellow Box. After a lot of hassle you may get a result, but I cannot guarantee it.

It uses a 2-wire sensor system. However all the computer controls
and integration may not be compatible with the Yellow Box system.

The only way it could possibly work is by connecting a YB directly before the speedo itself. But this is no guarantee. The ECU may also be integrated into the speedo which could interfere with the signal. The new breed of highly integrated ECUs which control many systems generally do not like anything to change within the vehicle.