Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

"How To" Re-Wrap Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SmartAss, you definately like the tweed. I remember your blue tweed 3G.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

do you live in the area uncompiled???
Old 11-06-2004, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SmartAss
Tweed is what I used and I order it from www.SelectProducts.com

You can purchase material everyone and tweed is difficult to work with becuase its thick. Headliner material comes in black and alot easier to use. I just like tweed.

The glue I used I get from the upholstrey shop or the fabric shop.
Headliner looks great. I just wanted to let fellow scion-ers know that I sell tweed too, and for about $5 per yard less than selectproducts. I carry everything from suede, tweed, leather, carpet, cf vinyl, glues, tools..you name it. My website will hopefully be done by year end, www.e-autotrim.com, but in the mean time, if you need anything, I will gladly email you pics of the color chart, or mail you fabric samples. Once the site is up, I will become a regular site sponsor also.

MattB
Old 11-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

ohh no someone is going to get snipped
Old 11-06-2004, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Snip it, that's fine by me..I was a silver sponsor, but decided to let it go until my site was complete. I am an owner trying to let other owners know where they can save money at, that's all. If you want to pay $20+ per yard for tweed, go ahead..I felt that I was doing, the people I would call my friends, a favor.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

ohh no i'm just joking around, cause it seems like every where I turn people are getting snipped. thanks for selling cheap, i'm looking to maybe do suede, when is your site going to be done?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

sorry for the tude..bad day at work here..hopefully site will be done by Jan 1st. Lots of samples to scan and all that (over 1000 of them)..then have to link all the shopping carts...it gets tiresome. Whenever you are ready, shoot me a pm, and I will email you some color samples, then, once you decide on a few choice, I can send you some sample cuts of the material by mail, for you to make a final decision.

MattB
Old 11-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

do you have some blue suede?
Old 01-21-2005, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to bring up an old post but I just thought I'd let the interested people know that there is a shop in dallas that does great work but they are trying to charge me like $1,800 to wrap my head liner in suede....I just laughed at them....
Old 07-01-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just did this over the last couple days; the howto helped a lot.

The most aggrivating parts are getting the headliner out and removing the old cloth. After that, all you really have to do is take your time smoothing your cloth down (especially around the sides) and be sure to use good strong glue (it should say "suitable for automotive headliners" on the can).

And yes, you WILL need the whole gallon of denatured alcohol.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heck yea
Old 11-24-2005, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by JdMBboFSD
nice job..........

on a side note, bbist if you are reading this, cf headliner!!!!!!! :D :D
a real cf headliner wouldnt work unless it was in pieces a single piece wouldnt flex enough to install
ah its been done click on the link. http://www.jordenlee.com/ and here is a link to buy one http://www.topshopheadliners.com/index_frame_hi.htm
Old 07-10-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Scion Steve has a CF headliner: http://www.scionpro.com/cart/product...roducts_id=461

I think it would look pretty sick!!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wrapped my headliner in black suede and I didn't remove the stock fabric. if you are using a thin fabric like suede you'll be good. Tweed and thicker fabrics like it will require you to remove the stock fabric.

that spray gun can be purchased at any paint store for about $20. I use contact cement from Home Depot (DAP brand, $20-$25 a gallon). the last thing you want to happen is your headliner fabric to start sagging, so make sure you use a good quality glue.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone recommend a good adhesive to work with swirl velvet? Would prefer to use spray adhesive, but if there isn't any strong enough I have access to a spray gun/compressor
Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3M makes some good stuff. however I always use contact cement and spray it with a spray gun. you can get the contact cemant at Home Depot, it's uner the DAP brand. it's like $20 a gallon. I have never had a headliner sag or come apart using the contact cement.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What stops the glue from just soaking through the material and either not sticking to the headliner board, or causing discoloration/blotchy spots in a material? Like I said I want to do velvet swirl, but I'm worried that the glue will just soak up into the material. Do you have to line the back with something before glueing, or buy lined material? Also, do you have to get a material that is somewhat stretchy so you can stretch it around the corners without any folds, and so it'll lay flat. I'm hoping that I can go to downtown Los Angeles, and pick up the velvet swirl in the fabric district for pretty cheap. Just not sure if any material would work, or if you need material made for headliner use. As if it isn't obvious this would be my first time doing this, so any advice would be helpfull. I really would like to learn how to do this correctly.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as you don't "soak" the area being sprayed with glue you won't have any bleed through. contact cement is thick so you don't have to layer it on so much. coat both the headliner and the material, wait about 5-10 minutes for the glue to set up, then join the two together. once you put down the material don't try to pull it up if at all possible.

as for the material you use, if the fabric is somewhat strechy you'll be ok. some materials have a backing already but if your material doesn't it shouldn't matter as long as the material isn't transparent in any way. luckily the headliner doesn't have crazy curves or real sharp angles. it is recommended that you have at least one other person to help you with the headliner. you can do it by yourself but a second set of hands is nice.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like e-autotrim's website has been hacked into. Stupid people spreading their anti U.S./Israel propaghanda! How can I get a hold of you guys? Have some questions on a few products.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Marked to watch

Quick Reply: "How To" Re-Wrap Headliner