Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HOWTO: Install Cold Cathodes for >$20

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by drandolph
Originally Posted by randode
yeah, i allready wrote the how-to article last september https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=cold+cathode
Sorry I missed it. Wow 3 different people coming up with the same great idea and then posting it. Is this a new trend? I hope so ;)
No new trend...Randy has been doing it for a while.... Way back in the day.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you can do it with just one transformer hooked up to a double cathode kit though. I'm going to be doing under the front seats next sunday, 2 under each seat.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been going through every single topic that popped up after searching for 'cold cathode' and still have absolutely NO clue how to do this - I've got my dual CCL's from SVC, and I want to just splice them into the existing stock "neon" wiring. And I'd like to do it today..so my question is HOW? Thanks a lot and please don't kill me for being so dense on this
Old 06-23-2004, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtremeOrange
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been going through every single topic that popped up after searching for 'cold cathode' and still have absolutely NO clue how to do this - I've got my dual CCL's from SVC, and I want to just splice them into the existing stock "neon" wiring. And I'd like to do it today..so my question is HOW? Thanks a lot and please don't kill me for being so dense on this
to replace your leds with cathodes, you will need an inverter for each cathode. Cut off the led bar, splice in the inverter and cathode. done. If you want to re-wire the whole thing, you may be able to get away with dual outlet inverters.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HOWTO: Install Cold Cathodes for >$20

Originally Posted by Max2k

3. Cut a 1' length of your copper wire and strip both ends of it about an inch back. Attach a female connector on one end. Leave the other end open.
Maybe I'm missing something, but where does the female end of this "grounding wire" connect to?
Old 07-28-2004, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Straight up, this is a bad howto.

For power, use the cigarette lighter. Pull off the A/C *****, undo the 2 screws, and pull the a/c controls off. Take off the dash box/cig lighter/ashtray by pulling straight out and unplugging the cigarette lighter. The power wire is black with a white stripe, ground is white with a black stripe. Attach the black wire from your cathodes to the white wire, attach the red wire to the black wire. You're done.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Whats the best way to run the wires when also installing a pair under the frotn seats, for the rear seat passengers?

thanks, Ibiza
Old 07-28-2004, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're in an xB (i don't think you are, but I don't have experience with the tC) there's a bolt under the center console that's gold colored towards the back. Use that for your seat light grounding point. Pull power down under the bit of carpet between the dash and the console, then pull power and ground under the carpet to where the seat wiring harness goes. Attach your lights and connect your wires. You're basically done.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wondering how i would connect my cold cathodes to my alarm system and have them flash when i arm/disarm my xb ?!?!?!? anyone know which wire that would be ? headlights ?!?!?!

also are there no fuses need ? i saw on other DIY tutorials that u need a inline fuse ?!?!?! or is that just for LEDS ?!?!?!
Old 10-29-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fuse it if you're pulling power off the battery directly. You need to figure out the alarm flash yourself, but it should be in the alarm's wiring.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by jack_d12
wondering how i would connect my cold cathodes to my alarm system and have them flash when i arm/disarm my xb ?!?!?!? anyone know which wire that would be ? headlights ?!?!?!

also are there no fuses need ? i saw on other DIY tutorials that u need a inline fuse ?!?!?! or is that just for LEDS ?!?!?!
my kit does flash with the alarm.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just an idea for those of you doing your own install: I used a 6" CCFL under each front seat and attached it to the underside of the seat rails. I still get plenty of light but I don't have to worry about them being broken if something goes under the seat and I don't have to worry about the wiring because they don't move with the seat. I put the transformer under the center console and made little holes in the carpet just in front of the rear rail mount to keep things as hidden as possible.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back when I had red cathodes I was running 2 under each seat and 1 on that rail. The lights don't like to stick to that thing, I must have reattached it 5 times with a few different methods (double sided tape, velcro, foam tape, other stuff).

6" cathodes are great for your dash box.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i hookup the power to the headlights would it flash with the alarm ? since the headlights flash when i arm/disarm ???? and where would i find the headlight ?? i think i saw they are black/white from another post ?!?!?!!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You are right about the rail being slick Max2K. I used the 3M double-sided foam tape and they held after a little persuasion. The 3M tape is the duct tape of double-sided tapes. I used it to hold the CCFLs to the rear of front bumper too.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just did my lights according to this DIY !! i hooked it up to the green wire and it all works good ... had trouble zip tying it tho ... also how do you put back the plastic that goes underneath the ac center console ? when i put it back there is a big gap at the top ?!?!?! also i lost one of those white stubbs that holds down the center consoles at the cup holders ?!?!?!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:36 PM

I did this yesterday/this morning. Blew a fuse, cracked a CC, another one was DOA. One of the inverters shocked and burned me. And now I have lots of pretty white light, so very worth it I must say.

Old 10-30-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha i cracked a set too ... i was lying on the seat and didn't notice there wear a pair under me ... it cracked and all this white powder was inside the tube !?!?! sux ... now i only got two in the front ... the UV tubes wasn't that bright but when i tried to do it today it reflected off my shoes pretty good and i knew what was happening .. you needed something white to make it light up so i threw all this paper on the ground and it was hella bright !!!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The white powder was broken glass. The cold cathode tube is 2 parts: the actual lamp (which is glass and very breakable) and the plastic housing (sometimes these are colored). You can usually bend the plastic casing a little bit before you break the CCFL tube, but they are a bit fragile nonetheless. I've broken at least 5 of 'em.

The plastic under the A/C console has a couple clips on the top and a push fastener on the right side towards the back. It sounds like you haven't put the clips back in.

You can get the little connectors at most auto parts stores. There should be a rack of all different kinds, just try to find something similar.

The UV ones are invisible unless there's something UV reactive under them. Get out those white nikes and white plush floor mats!
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'm running regular neon with the protective plastic tube broken so that it's just the blue neons then i stuck em all in hidden spots. that way ya cant tell they're there until ya turn em on . i'll take some pics for ya guys later one it's kinda hard to take the pics at night but i'll do it.

Quick Reply: HOWTO: Install Cold Cathodes for >$20