Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

infinity bass link sub, self powered sub, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default infinity bass link sub, self powered sub, any good?

I have a $140 bazooka now. It's okay, certainly fills up the box, but I read some reviews about the infinity self powered sub and it's very tuneable and much louder. They cost around $250-$300.

I cannot go with a crazy system, just want to improve stock sound.

Anyone hear one of these things in person?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the basslink sounds good, compared to the bazooka the basslink sounds great. the old basslink was small and fit in a tight corner, but the new basslink is very wide, so if you are concerned about space you might rethink the basslink idea.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I installed the bazooka, I mounted everything to a piece of plywood exactly the same size as the cargo area. Everything is Quick Disconnect on the sub, so I just unplug and take out whenever I need space.

I would do the same with the Bass Link.

Thanks for your input.

Any others????
Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The original Basslink is one 10" sub with a 10" passive radiator on the other side. It has a built-in 200 watt amplifier. I have one and I think it's the best value for what you pay for. Try looking around online (ebay or whatnot). You should be able to find it new for $200. Circuit City charges almost $400 for it. At that cost, it's much better to buy a separate amp and sub. Even a "crazy stereo" installation can be made to fit in a very small area, if you're willing to do the work to make it fit.

There is a new one called the Basslink-T which (I believe) has one 10" sub and two 10" passive radiators... and it's about 3 times as wide. Not very good if you want the space. The original one can be mounted vertically as well as horizontally, so it will probably give you more usable cargo area than the Bazooka. I tried to stick it underneath the passenger seat, but that was a no-go. It's just a tad too big -- and I'd rather buy a new subwoofer than force it to fit.

The original Basslink has a very good sound for its size, I'd definately recommend one. It's probably the best self-powered subwoofer on the market right now. When I had it in my old car, people would compliment me on my stereo system all the time, saying that I must have a lot of subwoofers -- no, it's just the Basslink. The bass is tight, but not overwhelming.

However, if all you do is listen to bass cds, hip-hop, techno... you probably don't want it. It doesn't "boom" as much as it compliments the lower frequencies.

It will definately increase the performance of your stock setup because it has high level inputs as well, so the installation shouldn't take more than an hour or two (with most of the time being used to take out the seats and tapping into the rear speakers).
Old 11-12-2004, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the basslink in my box, and loved it. although it didnt take up that much room...it still took up some space and i have 2 small children. i thought it sounded fine for what it was. i have infinity reference components in the front, and coax's in the rear along with the basslink.

i recently took it out and put two "Chris Foster aka autosound" custom sub boxes under the front seats with 2 10's (arc audio subs). if youre looking for something tight sounding...i tell you...its really tight and clean with these subs.

dont know where the thread is or whats its called...but check it out. hope this helps!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a basslink for a while in my xB but now have a small amp and seperate sub/enclosure. The only problem I had with the basslink is it wasn't as responsive as I hoped and it seemed to lag behind the music at times. My new setup doesn't do this.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i heard a basslink in a nissan frontier before. sounded pretty good and filled the bacin with bass. you could actually hear the truck coming. it was kinda ghetto too, straped to the middle of the back seat in the frontier. lol
good luck