Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Just made my system sound 100% better in 5 mins.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Just made my system sound 100% better in 5 mins.

.......and for free!

I've just recently posted my stereo setup (two Kicker L7 solobaric 12s running off a 950 watt RF Power 800a2 amp with 1 farad cap)..........but, unfortunately, the setup didn't sound AS good as a wanted it to. The rattling of the windshield wiper on the back was so loud it was coming through into the cabin. I fixed this (for the most part) by slapping some sticky foam weather stripping right across the wiper blade (haven't taken the wiper off yet, because I don't have anything nice to cover the ****). But...........when I cranked my system up, it didn't sound very clean.....so I've been reluctant to really crank the bass. If I listened hard.......I could tell that it wasn't the speakers that were sounding dirty. I figured maybe I still had some residual rattling from the wiper blade workin its way into the cab. I was about ready to just yank the thing off and toss it down the street when I realized how badly my license plate and frame were rattling (I have a fairly heavy aluminum frame). Well.......5 minutes of heavy weather stripping on the inner lip of the plate frame and back of the plate........and voila........no more crappy dirty sound.

Also......I had been planning on trying my system with the speakers facing up (instead of back) because I thought maybe firing them back would be drowning out some of the sound...........though I hadn't gotten around to taking a whole 3.5 seconds to flip my box that I still haven't secured yet...........because I'm the laziest man alive. Well......anyway........Mark (vegasscion) suggested that I try that...........so I finally worked up the energy to do it. That also improved the sound a lot.

Now.......I can REALLY crank up my bass...........and REALLY pound...........and it still sounds good, and hits super hard. The only problem now is when its up real loud........my roof makes some slight noise. You can watch the roof flexing up and down when you are outside the car. I should probably quit being lazy and hit it with some dynamat.

Anyway.......if you have any obnoxious sound in the cab with your system turned up...........try weather stripping the license plate. Course..........I'm sure most people have thought of that already. But hey..........I just put my system in......leave me alone.

KiL
Old 02-28-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

I have felt your pain.... I ended up dynamating my lic plate .... and I only have one 10 L7 ... dunno what's going to happen when I throw in the 2 8's as well ...
Old 02-29-2004, 01:40 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Shoot, if you really wanna pound, drop the back seats and face it towards the front. So much air space your bound to feel some good tingles. Don't get too crazy though, could go blind I heard
Old 02-29-2004, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member

as a meca competitor(sound preassure level) facing the subs towards the back of your car is actually 3-6 dbs louder. if you were to face them up since you would drown out alot of the sound....
Old 02-29-2004, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah well........get in my car..........and hear the difference yourself. They sound much better facing up. I don't care if they are 3db "less loud".........its sounds cleaner and clearer.............and still hits to hard I ____ blood.

KiL
Old 03-01-2004, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KingLou
and still hits to hard I ____ blood.

KiL

damn dude, you Las Vegas guys have all kinds of info to share, thanks!
Old 03-01-2004, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Eventually you should dynamat the back and face them that way but for now facing them up is probably your best bet
Old 03-01-2004, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rattling of the windshield wiper on the back was so loud it was coming through into the cabin. I fixed this (for the most part) by slapping some sticky foam weather stripping right across the wiper blade (haven't taken the wiper off yet, because I don't have anything nice to cover the ****).

look at some of the mini truck mags they sell those ***** that cover the wiper studs thae come in any size and shape and i think they screw in just pick up any truckin mag or mini truckin mag and take a look at some of the pics you will see maby half of them with out any wipers

hth

chad
Old 03-01-2004, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Vegasscion
Eventually you should dynamat the back and face them that way but for now facing them up is probably your best bet
Yeah.......I SHOULD. But........I'm so tired of working on my car. That probably won't happen for a while. I'm a lazy, lazy man.

KiL
Old 03-01-2004, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... i dont know the exact dimensions of the trunk but i plan on throwing a Resonant Engineering 15" HC in the back and i'm wondering if anyone has done that yet? Hey Vegasscion, are you an employee for Resonant Engineering? If you are, great job on the sub, looks drop dead sexy... Too bad i dont have the car yet...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should face them down... thats what i did.. i used a box from a chevy tahoe
Old 03-01-2004, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

No I dont work for RE but they are based out of Las Vegas and they are all friends of mine

Im not sure the dimensions on the back but you can make a 15"HC fit ... In fact i just took out my 2 12"HCs that were in the rear cargo area and put a huge ported box with 1 15"HC in where the back seats were ... The problem was the box is like 1 inch too wide so i had to put it where the seats were but this is just untill i get my fiberglass work done and then my seats can go back in

Mark
Old 03-01-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Damn mark. You're goin all show aren't ya? I'm goin all simple and reversible........tiny sealed box secured with heavy duty velcrow. From what I understand, I'm not getting anywhere near the efficiency of a ported enclosure......buuuuut, my system still blurs my vision. I can't imagine how I'd need more bass. Plus, the sealed enclosure will probably help prevent over excursion. Not that those things are gonna blow at any rate........they are constructed ridiculously sturdy. The cone and surround are like.....stitched.

I'd like to get a SPL meter......cause I'm curious what kinda dB I can hit.

My brother came over yesterday, and I was showing him my setup. He wanted to hear it.........and I got the bass barely halfway up, and I set off three car alarms. So......he still hasn't heard what it can really do.

KiL
Old 03-01-2004, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the licence plate prob too. My system sounded really clean with the paper plates on, but when i put on the licence plate, i thought for a while that i had blown my woofer cuz the rattling sound was so bad in the car. But, one day i had the bass on, and walked behind the car and i found it! What a difference a lil dynamat makes
Old 03-01-2004, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah u wouldnt believe the difference in ported and sealed .... I love the sound of bass, i cant get enough. Even though my system is banging after awhile I get used to it and want more bass ..... So with this next box i went slot ported with a 15"HC and now ill be knocking pictures off the wall

Mark