Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Leather seat kit install Done! Write-up soon to follow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Leather seat kit install Done! Write-up soon to follow.

Here we go, been working on this all day, I have 1 seat and the back seat on and awaiting final fitting and securing. This was a set I found off of ebay for 260 shipped, if you'd like to get one I'll help ya install it, but be warned, it takes some time and the hog clips are a pain in the **** if ya dont have the hog tools. Hoping to finish tomarrow... I'll take some more detailed pictures and possibly do a How-To for everyone.

Seat is out and ready for a new skin

Time for the rest of it

Time for the passenger

These hog rings are a major pain and there's like 10 of em on each seat..

Whew, almost done, just needs some tightening

And here's the workstation with the rest of the stuff
Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thats very nice! did the person u bought them from have different colors? and are these ment just for scion seats?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recently Installed likely the same set. Sounds like the exact same deal. He had 3-5 different varieties available on Ebay charcoal, black, with and without Scion logos. If you have a 2006 XB there is an issue with these CLOSEOUT sets (assuming they are the same ones). The side seat base covers (plastic pieces) are somewhat different after Jan 2006 production. The seat covers in question did not fully cover the outer side of the seat base under the tip of the tilt handle. A small semi circle of foam would not cover (this area was under the earlier seat side cover)...I simply took a small piece of leather from a strap (longer than needed) that helps attach the seat base cover and placed it behind this 1/2 dollar size "hole" as I installed the upholstery. Even without any attachment beside being placed there the result is almost invisible and hasnt moved since. Another issue!!! My set of upholstery also had smaller head rest covers for the outer rear headrests...I was told that they changed the rear headrests at the same time as the front seat bases ...they went from smaller to the same size as the front. I called the vendor and he sold me a second set of upholstery for only $150 shipped (his cost he said) to me so I could complete my job (2 more of the larger headrest covers ...front seat...in this second set. The sets also include "said the add" leather to recover the door panel cloth...My set had none The second set had them So for only $410 I have complete black leather upholstery and a second full set for the seats proper (headrests and door panels inserts arent as prone to wear as the seats anyway

Concerning installation. This install is not for the faint of heart. The upholstery fits the seats very well. The rear seat factory upholstery is glued to the foam. This upholstery must be destroyed to properly install the new rear set. The front you can save the original and reuse it later if you like. A strong pair of side cutting pliers "dikes" is needed to cut the original steel hog rings. A hog ring pliers (a better quality tool will make this easier the cheap ones suck) and about 50 hog rings are needed. (or you could use (I did) 1/4" tie straps...tho they will likely not last as well as steel hogrings. If you do this you must be careful where you position the clamp of the tie strap...wouldnt feel good poking you in the back.) You will also need a 8-10" knife ( i used a big bread knife) to cut slots in the original rear seat base foam to install the forming straps down through it. You are also supposed to poke through the rear seat back foam to pull in more gather straps. thses are supposed to be pulled trhu to help form the seat back and glued to the back of the foam. The rear seat back cover is nicely shaped already...there are gathers around the edges and and the deeper seams (where it is easy and fairly obvious for hooking them up)...I used only these and did not pull through and glue any tabs to the foam. The seat still formed well and looks fine. Would it be as durable this way for heavy use (kids jumping in it etc) I do not know but likely not. I would highly reccommend one of these sets if you can get one before they are gone (supposedly selling discontinued stock). Unless you have a 2006 in which case I would call the vendor and see what I could work out....or buy 2 sets../shrug. Hope this was informative.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol, good luck with the door panels. I sent mine out.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am a pretty accomplished upholstery installed fabricator...but yes they will be a pain in the **** I fear ( I havent installed those pieces yet as I am waiting till I remove the door panels when I repaint my NEW PW XB in a few weeks). I will attempt the install of them at that time anyway
Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well in your case it might be alittle easier, but in my case, I looked them over and said, "HECK NO"!

If you haven't taken the door panels off just to take a look, you might want to.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How's the quality of the leather?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know how to judge the quality very well... I can say the seats were constructed very well and fit like a glove. We're having a meet at Chula Vista Scion this Sat at 6pm if ya wanna come check it out.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by westsype
How's the quality of the leather?
I would love to know too

Edit: Looks like you posted while I was typing. I guess for the price, you can't really go wrong if the fit is good.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds pretty good. any chance you can send a link out for those of us who are interested? seller name maybe?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these are off of e-bay......seatcovers not dog......
Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinking about ordering those this week. Are they worth the money, i have a few burn holes, in the front seat, and they quoted $250 to fix with fabric. I think it would be amazing to get leather seats for the same price.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The leather seems to be of good quality. It is not cheap but not the best I am sure either. It is pliable and doesn't seem to scratch or mark easily. I am happy with it. Cleans nicely with some McGuires:0
Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Sounds like some good seat covers. What was the name of the ebay seller?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seller is accessoriesrusfl.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i contacted the seller and he was all out of black kits. that sucks.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinking about the light charcoal
Old 12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Seller is accessoriesrusfl.
Good to know! Thank you.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats it...im buying them tonight.....looks like one hell of a good deal.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick Reply: Leather seat kit install Done! Write-up soon to follow.