Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Line Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Line Drivers?

Ive just become aware of these gadgets. My system is highly based off SQ. When i turn the reciever to its max i always get distortion and the "ugly" sound from the speakers that makes me afraid taht theyll blow or something. I figured it was because of my amp settings although ive done my best to set them correctly. Im now thinking that its possible that at full power my recievers 4 volts are distorted, not so much my amps settings. So I was reading around and came upon these things. I have a amp for my fronts and another for my rears both of which recieve a maximum of a 6Volt line. I run signal to them both using a 4 ch, cable. What kind of line drivers should i be looking at? Could someone please educate me on these? Finally, i came upon both a line driver reciever and transmitters? Difference, etc?

Id like to make a wise decision about all these...

Thanks, Ibiza
Old 09-29-2004, 01:04 PM
xBMNx

i use audio control eqs that has a line-driver built in it

if your going sq check out some of the products they make
(pertty much the best in the business)

http://www.audiocontrol.com/

a good combo to use is the eqs with a 6xs and change the x-over points for your front and rear speakers to about 90hz you should get good roll-off and not much distrortion as long as your using good set of speakers

Old 09-29-2004, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks, i had come upon this company in my search, but i just shoved them off as one of those no name companies that are just cheap or w.e

Yeah, im runing kappa's and i think the eq would be great. Is the eq the kinda thing that i would want up front of that i can just set " out back"?
Old 09-30-2004, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Phoenix Gold : Bass Cube
Memphis : Line Drivers

My boss always says the problem with using a line driver is the main perpose is you have a ____ty signal. And when to process it with a line driver you have a ____ty processed signal.

Well hes part right, but when I use bass cubes in peopels cars I can still tell the difference.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im sorry, but i dotn really understand your response/point
Old 09-30-2004, 03:36 AM
xBMNx

Originally Posted by Ibiza
Im sorry, but i dotn really understand your response/point
he saying if you have a crappy headunit that putts out low voltage and distorted signal all the line driver will do is make the crappy signal worse

so the best thing for you to do is get a good deck (cough** eclipse **cough) and i would recommend the audiocontrol EQX model it has a line driver, eq and crossover all in one little unit

oh i forgot to ask what headunit you using?

Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im running a Blaupunkr MP52 Acapulco headunit. Most frown upon blau, but ive found their products to be reliable, affordable, and overall excelent.

It puts out a 4V signal. I have a 4 Ch adapter that I run back to a 2X100 amp that powers my front speakers, and another 50x2 that powers my rears. Finally the reciever has a "sub-out" which i run to yet another amp for my sub.

My "problem" is that no matter what I do, i cant seem to set the gains just right so that when i put it to full power, I dont hear any distortion. I know the speakers can handle it. What i figure is that my reciver has those 4V split up or something causing the signal at 4V to be a bit distorted or weaker than 4V due to the reciever "trying too hard," and not being able to provide those 4V through the 3 outputs.

So far my idea has been to:

Get line driver so that when the signal gets to my amps its ouputing sufficient voltage for the amps.

Im sure y'all know more than I do, so please direct me in the right path.

Also, IM considering getting one em with the built in EQ. This seems to be a great idea, although i dunno if its worthwhile since i figure id need an RTA in order to really take advantage of the EQ....

In any case im just throwing out ideas....

Thanks for all your help so far!

-Ibiza
Old 09-30-2004, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xBofMNx
he saying if you have a crappy headunit that putts out low voltage and distorted signal all the line driver will do is make the crappy signal worse
So what you guys are saying is that even if I use the Audiocontrol THREE.1 it will still sound crappy because of the stock HU?
I'd like to keep the stock HU for "security" reasons and I'm not looking to win any SQ competitions, I just want it to be loud and relatively clear. :?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:14 AM
xBMNx

if you don't care about true sound quality then you should have no problem at all

Old 10-01-2004, 12:19 AM
xBMNx

My "problem" is that no matter what I do, i cant seem to set the gains just right so that when i put it to full power, I dont hear any distortion. I know the speakers can handle it. What i figure is that my reciver has those 4V split up or something causing the signal at 4V to be a bit distorted or weaker than 4V due to the reciever "trying too hard," and not being able to provide those 4V through the 3 outputs.
-Ibiza
just because your deck says 4v preouts doesn't mean your amps are seeing that much...you should never have to turn your amps gain past 75%

hell with my amps gains i have the amp running my comps set as low as the gain will go and on my sub amp i have it set at about a 1/8 of a turn

Old 10-01-2004, 12:28 AM
xBMNx

So far my idea has been to:

Get line driver so that when the signal gets to my amps its ouputing sufficient voltage for the amps.

Im sure y'all know more than I do, so please direct me in the right path.

-Ibiza
first of all your going about this the right way
second find out what your amps maximum input voltage is
third buy yourself a Audiocontrol EQX
forth set your headunit to flat or zero everything out turn up to about 75-80% or your highest listening level and set your gains and any other settings on the amp after that set the eq and then your radio settings if you get the EQX you can get variable cross over points for about 10 dollars a piece which help out alot

Old 10-01-2004, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member

this might be a silly question but , I have a kenwood mp3 04 model in my older car. will it degrade my car's value if I replace the pioneer mp3 deck with my kenwood deck? everyone is telling me i shouldn't replace it . i drive a TC by the way. i like the pioneer deck and all, but im not satisfied with the stock deck. louder = better.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skottyboy7
this might be a silly question but , I have a kenwood mp3 04 model in my older car. will it degrade my car's value if I replace the pioneer mp3 deck with my kenwood deck? everyone is telling me i shouldn't replace it . i drive a TC by the way. i like the pioneer deck and all, but im not satisfied with the stock deck. louder = better.
Degrade your cars value? When you drove the car off the parking lot you degraded teh value. A cheap head unit isn't going to degrade the value and if it does it will be so little it isn't funny. On another note. I say replace the headunit and keep the old stock headunit. This way when you resell the car you can always stick the stock unit back in or if you don't want to sell your new headunit with the car. But I am guessing you won't be selling your new TC for quite awhile