Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Line out converter for stock radio to amp

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Line out converter for stock radio to amp

Sooo, if you're in this forum you probably know what a line out converter is.... and I'm guessing I need one to put my amp/sub in. Since the stock stereo doesn't have rca amp outs on it, I think I'll have to splice into the rear two speakers into an adjustable "line out coverter" then I can use RCA jacks from the converter to hook into my amp.. that way I get a clean, low watt signal to the amp. And (Im fairly certain) it will not affect the quality of the stock stereo sound at all.

Anyone hooked up an amp to a stock system without a line out converter? If so how did it sound? I have have heard of it sounding bad and I've also heard of people just splicing the rear speakers right to the amp too and it sounded fine. But that seems like it might affect the quality of sound from the rear stock speakers, would it not?

Also I can find the converters online easy but i'm not sure where to get one around here "hamilton" without driving all the way to best buy in tri county, that is, if they even have them.. anyone know of a place I can find one around here?..

Gabe
Old 06-01-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It all depends on if the amp has a high level input or not. Some amps will come with a harness with grey and white wires for doing this.

As far as the LOC, go to you local Circuit City, or Best Buy it will cost around $20
Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used both a LOC and an in-line Electronic Bass Control when I did my wife's amp and sub install.

I used this LOC, so I could add a second amp later if I wanted to...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/wire_pro...?productid=226

And I used this EBC in line between the LOC and the amp...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3792.html
I just turned the EBC all the way up when I tuned the amp by ear. That way I know I shouldn't have any problems if I turn it all the way up. And if the sub begins to over power the stock speakers the EBC is there to adjust the levels quickly. That is probably the cheapest, slickest method for maximum control over your system using the stock head unit.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member

Ok here's a pic of my amp inputs.. would this work w/out a converter?

other pics for reference

[/img]
Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not a pro, so you may want to wait for others to chime in.

However, it appears that your amp can accept both Low Level RCA input (using LOC) or High Level Speaker input. (Assuming you find a screw to replace the one that is missing.)
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes you have speaker level inputs. That is the same as high level input.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member

Ok so here's the dumb question of the day... for the rear speakers of the xb (not sure what wattage theyre pumping out) going to the amp... where would be a good place to tune the grey screw? cause the numbers on there I don't know what they are for... or should I just hook it up and see how it sounds? This is the first time I've ever tried to use it with a stock radio.. I just don't wanna fry the amp or speaker on accident cause of it being tuned wrong. I know before I just used to use that grey adjustable screw to adjust a safe power setting for the sub (to the right is more power, so it seemed).

Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once hooked up, turn your radio up to like 45, with the sensitivity turned all the way DOWN... slowly turn the sensitivity up, untill you hear a small amount of distortion, then back it off slightly.. when i do this for each amp, i disconnect the other speakers that are not connected to the amp i am not tuning. when all is said and done, you can hook all speakers amps up together, see how it sounds and make final imput adjustments to balance the whole thing out.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.. any other tips would be great, if not, thanks again I'll try this out as soon as possible.