Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Loss of Bass with new HU and Bazooka Tube

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Loss of Bass with new HU and Bazooka Tube

Anyone have an idea why I would lose power/bass to the Bazooka Tube after adding a new head unit (Kenwood DPX302 2-din). I tried searching all over the forum but couldnt seem to find someone with the same problem.

The situation was that with the stock setup, the tube hit pretty hard (enough for me). After installing the new Kenwood, I noticed it didnt hit nearly as hard even after turning up the adjustments. What could be the reason?

Im mechanically inclined just dont know much about electric or how things technically work but know how to hook stuff up. Im sure the answer is simple but I cannot think of it.

Keep in mind its the factory scion harness. The harness it came with has the RCA cables attached to it so I was thinking if I hooked that up to the Kenwood, maybe it would get more power? I like the idea of the factory harness though. Any ideas?

On a side note, is a 600w sony xplod XM-2100GTX amp(got it free) too much power for the sub (I assume yes)? If it is, I'll just hook it up to the front speakers for better clarity. Can the stock speakers handle the amp I have?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 AM

anyone?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

how are you sending signals to the sub? if there are rca cables, i would run those, and see if they make a difference
Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I agree with AdvanceSpeedShop. I would be using the RCA outs of the new HU rather than using the wiring harness from the stock stereo and see what effect that has. Keep in mind that the stock stereo had some basic DSP functions that could have affected the output of the Bazooka. The new HU will not have these same DSP settings and may need some adjustment and play to get the sound you are looking for.

Run your highs off the Sony amplifier. You'll be MUCH happier with the increase in output. Just be very careful when adjusting your gains as the 2100GTX could put out enough power to damage the stock speakers if you're not careful.
...hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks guys for the reply. Much appreciated. Actually I just figured it out last night. Somehow the switch in the back of the Bazooka turned "off". It probably happened as I was moving stuff around in the trunk. Simple mistake but its working like it used to.

I was thinking though the RCA cables are better use. I would just have to extend all the wires. Still think I should do it or leave it the way it is since its working like it should. The bazooka has plenty of bass for what I need/want.

As for the amplifier, thats exactly what I was thinking but just wasnt sure if it was safe. Turn the gains down all the way and slowly adjust it so that it doesnt blow the speakers until I upgrade. Just wanted to make sure.

I can probably figure out a way, but how do you guys run your speaker wire from the amp to the speakers in the doors? Through the factory location where the harness goes through?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by danielt
I can probably figure out a way, but how do you guys run your speaker wire from the amp to the speakers in the doors? Through the factory location where the harness goes through?
Yes. You want to keep the rubber wire boot there in order to protect the wiring. Getting the wires through the boot is a bit of a task on the driver's side. The passenger side is much easier.
I use a wire coat hanger is a wire fish when running wiring and cable under carpeting, through grommets, firewalls, and into doors. I have a few different lengths of coat hanger to satisfy whatever I need. It's a practically free tool that I use the hell out of. Simply tape the wires to the end of the straightened coat hanger with a little electrical tape and push it through.