Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Luminics Bulbs/ harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Luminics Bulbs/ harness Question

Ran into a problem today. Came back out from the mall and my driver side headlight was out. (low beam). I have pure blue luminics. It was raining, so I had to drive home with my brights eye and had about 45 people flash me.

Anyways I get home and come on here and see how some peoples harness has been burnt to ____ by the Luminics. I'm thinking of ****. So I go out and want to make sure that its the headlight thats messed up and not the harness itself. So I plug the Bulb from my driver side (the one that was out) into my passenger side and it comes on. Im thinking ____ my harness is messed up. So just to make sure I plug the stock headlight into the driver side and it comes on. im like wtf. So I plug the luminics back in and it wont come on. I check the connecter in the harness and they are clean. just to make sure I clean them, plug the luminics back in and taa daa it comes on no problems. Anyone know what happened?>
Old 08-21-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting problem. So you are saying the driver's bulb works, and the driver's harness works, but they dont work together?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's really weird...i would HIGHLY SUGGEST you upgrade your low beam harness though. I'm one of the ones that got fried. (using low beam pure blues also). Weird situation though?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea that's right. But after I cleaned the connecters in the harness with a qtip I plugged the Blue bulb in and it came on no problem.

How do I upgrade the harness?
Old 08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look online for any aftermarket harness that says it can handle more than 55 watts. I have discussed this problem with one of the luminics dealers on this site (www.luminicsdirect.com) and he has added an aftermarket harness to his site that will not fry. It will work with the tC. All you do is cut the old harness off and attach the new one. If you have any questions, i would go to www.luminicsdirect.com and ask him. He's been very helpful throughout my ordeal
Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vance i had the same exact problem as you are having about 3 days ago, the thing is that your harness is abit burnt, but you havent noticed yet because you have to take a good look at both harness and their conditions before you can tell. What i am going to do is go back to the dealer so they can check out my (STOCK) lights and why wont it work, so they can find out themselves that the harness is abit burnt and its not functioning properly.

I suggest you take out your Luminic Bulbs out and replace them with your stock bulbs
because if not your harness is gonna completly melt.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But how come one would be burnt and the other would be okay?

I wish I knew about these problems before my purchase....
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the luminics bulbs were 55w ? Is that not true ?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from luminicsdirect:

JDM Yellow 9006 BULBS
Product Number: LYH9006F
Bulb Type: 9006
Kelvin: 2500k
Luminics Headlight Beam
Acutal Wattage: 12v 55w
Projected Wattage: 130w
Description: Luminics JDM Yellow Headlight Bulbs Set the standard for intense color and luminosity. JDM Yellow Headlight Bulbs will illuminate the road in weather intense driving situations.

I can't see how a 55w bulb would affect your harness that is rated to probably go to easily 65+w.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the harness is rated at 51 watts exactly and WILL NOT handle anything exceeding that 51 watts. the high beams are 55 watts and can handle the luminics no problem. Get an aftermarket harness. Call your dealership or contact scion and ask them if the harness could handle an aftermarket 55 watt bulb, they will tell you know and say "we do not recommend aftermarket bulbs for scions...stock stock stock..."
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Low Beam 9006, 51W, Halogen"

Oh yeah, so they are.

AJ goes off to find a 55w harness for his lows.

Thanks for that.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the installation of the harnesses difficult?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you guys recommend a Plug N Play heavy duty harness, like this one ?

Low Beam: http://store.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih2.html
High Beam: http://store.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih1.html

If you can suggest any plug n play better than this one, let me know, and as well let me know if Plug N play harness are any good ?

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kumitsu
Do you guys recommend a Plug N Play heavy duty harness, like this one ?

Low Beam: http://store.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih2.html
High Beam: http://store.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih1.html

If you can suggest any plug n play better than this one, let me know, and as well let me know if Plug N play harness are any good ?

Thank you.
I don't really know how well the plug-n-play harness' work, but i'm sure they will do the job. If those fry, you can request a refund from the manufactuer. I was going to purchase a set of plug-n-play harnesses, but they are just too pricey for what they do. I think all you have to do to replace the existing harness with a normal upgraded harness is cut and strip a small portion of the existing wire, and wire it to the new one (possibly solder too) and wrap with some electrical tape? Someone let me know if i'm wrong, because thats what i was planning on doing when i get my upgraded harness in later this week.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member

Default Luminics - #1 Aftermarket Headlight Bulbs

We are now stocking beefier wire harness's for the 9005, 9006, and H7 applications that can handle up to 100watts. It is a simple installation of cutting, crimping, and pluging in the bulb. The harness is on sale now for $6.95 at http://www.luminicsdirect.com/Lumini...%20Harness.htm
Old 08-24-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to clarify, one harness equals one bulb, or one harness equals both bulbs.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi, another two questions for the Luminics people.

I ordered the harness and you mentioned you were restocking, do you have a date for when they'll be going out the door, please a real one, if it's 3 weeks, just say so, i won't be mad, but I'll be mad if you say tomorrow and it ends up being 3 weeks.

Final question, does the harness come with instructions? and how easy is it to hook up?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by angry jonnie
Hi, another two questions for the Luminics people.

I ordered the harness and you mentioned you were restocking, do you have a date for when they'll be going out the door, please a real one, if it's 3 weeks, just say so, i won't be mad, but I'll be mad if you say tomorrow and it ends up being 3 weeks.

Final question, does the harness come with instructions? and how easy is it to hook up?
I just got the harness and it was very easy to install. Cut the existing harness off, strip some wire, and strip some off of the replacement harness, and either use a tap, or twist tie and electrical tape it. It took me about 20 minutes to do both of them.

Luminics - the one problem i had with it though was when i went to plug in my pure blues again, the passenger side bulb (the one that friend my stock harness) wouldn't go in right, i turn it around to look at it, and one of the sockets its all fried. How should i contact you on having it replaced like you did with the other people's who's harness fried?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I ordered the harnesses for my Low beams, hopefully they will get here Monday or Tuesday. Driving with stock headlights sucks.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, got my harness.

What am I supposed to do with it.

Is it just the plastic bit with the two prongs that needs to be 'updated' .

The harness I have is about 6 inches long and has the male and female plugs, fo the moment I have it plugged inbetween the bulb housing and the original harness.

Should that suffice.

Personally I'd rather not cut bits off and splice things - it's never as good as the original... if you know what I mean.

Anyway, many thanks to the luminics bulbs guys.

Quick Reply: Luminics Bulbs/ harness Question