Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Making Scion Security Honk HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005 | 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Making Scion Security Honk HELP!

I read somewhere, someone had made the scion security honk and also changed the sensitivity setting. I tried searchign but I came back with a whole bunch of remote start threads! Is it possible to DIY? The reason why I ask is because I paid 500+ bucks for a POS alarm that doesn't honk when locking and unlocking. Help a brotha out!

edit: oh yeah i forgot to ask, it should be free at the dealer right?
Old 05-11-2005 | 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 05-11-2005 | 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just because it doesn't honk for you doesn't mean it's a POS. It was designed like that on purpose. Whether or not you can make it honk either DIY or dealer, I don't know for sure.

But if you really need a honking sound to know your car is "secure" ... just go buy one of those little speakers with a remote that you can put in your trunk and pretend it's a security system.
Old 05-11-2005 | 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont believe that the scion security even has a shock sensor so I dont know what sensitivity adjustment you are talking about. The scion security is not worth a dime the only time it triggers is if someone smashes your window and opens the door from the inside handle.
Old 05-11-2005 | 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jdawg82
I dont believe that the scion security even has a shock sensor so I dont know what sensitivity adjustment you are talking about. The scion security is not worth a dime the only time it triggers is if someone smashes your window and opens the door from the inside handle.
The Sensitivity adjustment is for the glass breakage sensor ( you can tap on the glass and make the alarm go off)
There are better systems out there for the money, everything at the dealership is more expensive.

I however like that the car dose not honk when I lock up, I don't need to wake people up when I lock up in my garage. I also have a good set of eyes so I can see the car lights blink to let me know it is locked.

If someone is going to break into my car they are going to try and pick the lock or break the glass (the scion alarm will go off) Even if they do get in they need to get past the engine immobilizer. And if they do take it, that’s where the car insurance kicks in.

So in the end I am happy with my scion security, even though it may not have extra sensors etc. I like not having extra stuff in my pockets.
Old 05-11-2005 | 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Making Scion Security Honk HELP!

Originally Posted by O5 TRD tC
I read somewhere, someone had made the scion security honk and also changed the sensitivity setting. I tried searchign but I came back with a whole bunch of remote start threads! Is it possible to DIY? The reason why I ask is because I paid 500+ bucks for a POS alarm that doesn't honk when locking and unlocking. Help a brotha out!

edit: oh yeah i forgot to ask, it should be free at the dealer right?
Why is it a POS because it doesnt honk? I absolutely hate alarms that beep/honk when you arm disarm them. And I personally think that I am going to have to destroy my neighbors car next time I am awakened by their stupid alarm announcing their arrival.. ok, j/k about destroying the car, but it is annoying! I personally love the alarm, it is not over-sensitive, which is another pet peive of mine, does exactly what it is supposed to do and is not noisy when it shouldnt be. Not knocking you for wanting the honk thing, but it is hardly a thing that warrants calling the whole alarm a POS.
Old 05-11-2005 | 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

And when else would you want it to trigger??? Other than the shock sensors (which typically go off so much that no one pays attention to the alarm anyway). The only way someone is going to steal your car is if they are VERY serious about it. And if I want a car bad enough, I can garauntee I can get by your alarm regardless of price. Seeing as how most people pay little to no attention to alarms going off (due mainly to over-senstive alarms which constantly go off) a serious car theif could load it on a trailer and drive off with the alarm squealing and no one would pay much attention. And someone that serious is probably not bothering with a $16,000 car anyway. The Scion security with the engine immobilizer is tough enough for most theifs.
Old 05-11-2005 | 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm trying to figure out how to get mine not to chirp when arming/disarming. Mainly because the chirps are loud as hell.

Do your lights flash, because that would be your confirmation that it's armed/disarmed too.

You are so right engifineer, nobody pays attentions to alarms, that's why I got one with a pager. As long as I'm within about 1/4 mile of my box, my pager goes off. Can be annoying because the shock sensor is a little sensitive, but that's a sacrifice. It's alerted me when knuckle-headed teenagers felt the need to lean against my car and chit chat with one another. Good thing is my shock sensor only alerts the pager, the alarm doesn't go off unless there are two shocks in a short period of time.
Old 05-11-2005 | 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Just because it doesn't honk for you doesn't mean it's a POS. It was designed like that on purpose. Whether or not you can make it honk either DIY or dealer, I don't know for sure.

But if you really need a honking sound to know your car is "secure" ... just go buy one of those little speakers with a remote that you can put in your trunk and pretend it's a security system.
please tell me u were joking

I just like the honking sound.
Old 05-11-2005 | 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no honk for it. scion security doesn't provide any honk or notification other than the flash.

go aftermarket.
Old 05-11-2005 | 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hey when r we gonna have a meet? :D do u have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 05-12-2005 | 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigBaby
I'm trying to figure out how to get mine not to chirp when arming/disarming. Mainly because the chirps are loud as hell.

Do your lights flash, because that would be your confirmation that it's armed/disarmed too.

You are so right engifineer, nobody pays attentions to alarms, that's why I got one with a pager. As long as I'm within about 1/4 mile of my box, my pager goes off. Can be annoying because the shock sensor is a little sensitive, but that's a sacrifice. It's alerted me when knuckle-headed teenagers felt the need to lean against my car and chit chat with one another. Good thing is my shock sensor only alerts the pager, the alarm doesn't go off unless there are two shocks in a short period of time.
Nice setup! Who makes it?
Old 05-12-2005 | 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

directed electronics makes the viper and clifford paging systems.

http://www.directed.com/

i personally have the 791xv installed, and i believe it is worth every dime. (about 5000 dimes, or $500...) but anyway, the system notifies me when my alarm is triggered. they have a dual stage shock sensor (standard) that chirps twice to warn away people, and full blast if they trigger it again within 5 seconds or less. i agree that no one pays attention to alarms, but i do, especially when my car is parked outside. basically, i look at teh honk (also known as a siren) as a way to let me know some punk kid is messing with my car. then i take my shotgun out and say hi (i live in central ny.. its legal)

as for other things, i've noticed that scion dealership doesn't install a "standard" model for their scion security package.. its whatever the dealership is confortable installing at teh time. that means adjusting sensitivity, chirp comfirmation, siren noise, all depends on the model installed by the dealer. also, rtfm that came with your alarm. you should be able to program it yourself. i did.

also again, the viper system has a low-volume chirp comfirmation that my system was armed. doesn't wake anyone up where i live. all in all, i love the viper system and for the same amount of money i would have paid for a "scion security package"... i feel i am better off anyway. ps. the 791xv has remote start also. and no, the stock scion security doesn't.
Old 05-12-2005 | 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Nice setup! Who makes it?
http://www.asianwolf.com/FM2009V2.html

its a great model for the price ($380, installed her in chicago), but even i would say the viper and clifford are better (if you got 500-bucks)
Old 05-27-2005 | 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the 791xv the top model that Viper makes? I searched froogle and they're only about $200. Are they easy to install ( I know nothing about car wiring or soldering)?
Old 05-28-2005 | 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by viper3
The Sensitivity adjustment is for the glass breakage sensor ( you can tap on the glass and make the alarm go off)
There are better systems out there for the money, everything at the dealership is more expensive.

I however like that the car dose not honk when I lock up, I don't need to wake people up when I lock up in my garage. I also have a good set of eyes so I can see the car lights blink to let me know it is locked.

If someone is going to break into my car they are going to try and pick the lock or break the glass (the scion alarm will go off) Even if they do get in they need to get past the engine immobilizer. And if they do take it, that’s where the car insurance kicks in.

So in the end I am happy with my scion security, even though it may not have extra sensors etc. I like not having extra stuff in my pockets.

why do you lock car IN GARAGE? isnt it safe enough in there? just wondering
Old 06-20-2005 | 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I lock my box up before closing the garage... Its just an extra saftey step, you never know if someone is going to break in or not. Having the car locked if anything buys some time before you kick their ___...kidding, unless you choose to do that.. you know what im saying..
Old 08-24-2005 | 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

READ THE SCION SECURITY MANUAL!! To enable horn honking on Arm/Disarm Follow these steps.

1. Turn the key to ignition on then off.
2. Press the valet button six times. (The button must be in out position when starting.)
3. After pressing the valet button six times you should hear the horn honk. 1 honk means arm/disarm chirp enabled. 2 honks mean arm/disarm chirp disabled.
Old 08-24-2005 | 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is this so called "valet button"?

I paid to have the scion security on my 06 tc and cannot find it.

I take it its not the little red light for the security (next to the mirror adjustments and foglights, if you have'em).
Old 08-25-2005 | 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dat Dude
READ THE SCION SECURITY MANUAL!! To enable horn honking on Arm/Disarm Follow these steps.

1. Turn the key to ignition on then off.
2. Press the valet button six times. (The button must be in out position when starting.)
3. After pressing the valet button six times you should hear the horn honk. 1 honk means arm/disarm chirp enabled. 2 honks mean arm/disarm chirp disabled.
I think you got the same system that I did and it's not the Scion Security. Anyway, mine's made by Karr and the dealer subcontracts Karr to do the installs. For like a few bucks more than the useless "Scion Security" my system has shock sensor, entry alarm, starter disable, configurable audible & lights, valet option and more.

I think the audible alarm acknowledgement is lame and pretty much annoying. If you're close enough to the car when you engage the alarm, you'll hear the doors lock. I think having the lights blink is helpful though, you can just turn your head and watch the lights blink if you wanted to be SURE SURE it's armed.

Quick Reply: Making Scion Security Honk HELP!