Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Me love stock head unit long time, but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Me love stock head unit long time, but....

Hey, I know this has been answered before, somehow, someway. I've searched through posts and found tidbits here and there, but no real concrete answer, so here goes...

1. I ordered a DVD player for my xB, to shove into the little space below the air conditioning ****. My assumption is that this will pump audio out through RCAs, which I want to wire through my stock HU. I understand that I need some sort of adapter that will go in the 12-pin usually reserved for a CD changer. I haven't found a clear answer on what I need to order, or if this is some universal thing I can pick up at walmart. I've heard to get part number TOY03, which looks to be correct. Is that all I need?

2. Further complicating things, can I wire 2 things through that adapter (using a simple radio shack RCA splitter), or do I need something different? I'd love to hook up both that DVD player and my aftermarket SIRIUS radio (currently using FM modulation).

3. How do I attach an amp to the stock deck? More specifically, I'm looking into the Infinity Basslink or Kenwood Woox powered amp/subwoofer things.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good questions... only one I can really help you with is the basslink. I have one that i'm installing in my XB and you have to tap into the rear speaker wires. The basslink comes with direction on how to do this. You need a high/low converter if you want to have RCA jacks on a stock head unit.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help on the basslink, now I remember reading that somewhere!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sounds like you want the dvd player to use the HU amplfication? There's no way to do that. IF you want the DVD to amplify the HU.. I once had a HU that would allow me to do this (aux in). So, what you're left with is either a DVD that has a built in amplifier, so you'd splice into your speaker wires and use the HU for radio and the DVD unit for sound. OR, you can install amps and end up the same way (having to potentially make your HU into line level signal). OR and FM modulator..

This is how I understand it, but I haven't done this yet.