Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Microsoft Streets and Trips w/gps vs. in-dash navi options

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Microsoft Streets and Trips w/gps vs. in-dash navi options

Hey everyone,
My xb will be here within a week! I considered buying the $1600+ camry navigation but i didn't like the price... (yes, i'm cheap...) ;]

I just ordered Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with GPS locator from amazon.com. I think this will be a pretty good solution for me since I was planning on using my laptop (and aux port) to play music through the stock head unit. The Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 also has audible alerts that tell you when to turn and even takes voice commands...

My question is this: Is this solution comparable to the in-dash units? I understand that it's a little hassle trying to mount a laptop but, power vs. price, is this a good solution?

Is anyone doing something similar? Is anyone using a laptop based navigation setup? It'd be great to hear how others are getting around with their navigation setups...

I hope everyone has an awesome new years!
- sh00k
Old 12-29-2005, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my work I use a handheld GPS ( whistler Galileo ) connected to my laptop (voice activated) running Streets and Trips.

I have them sitting on the passenger seat, it's folded down with velcro to hold it in place while on the move, on the back of the seat.

Works great, with the internet connection I can send my location info to anyone connected to the web, along with video clips, pics and update info to whom ever I am contracted to at the time.

I get to take this setup anywhere, even into places to get food.just make sure to keep a spare battery in case you leave it on overnight, and hide it when you park.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I have streets and trips on my Pocket pc phone and on my Laptop in my XB and I love it .
Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics guys... i am also planning on doing this with my laptop
Old 12-29-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

I have a CarPC in my xB. 7" Touchscreen in the dash with my hacked up desktop under the passenger seat.

I have a free front-end (Frodoplayer) that manages all my music, videos, and has another app embedded in it (Freedrive) that uses my Destinator maps for GPS. All i had to buy was a screen, GPS antenna and *maps*. The 2 apps are free software found on Mp3car.com. I don't have any pics of Freedrive running but my setup is like this:

http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60000

Those pics are old^^. I don't have my PC in that standard case and i'm attemping to fiberglass the screen in so it's flush.

Here is a pic of what it can look like:

http://www.freedrive.co.uk/

Mine is similar but i don't have that skin.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default laptop mount

I found an awesome looking xB laptop mount - but I am wondering how much legroom is left for the passenger...

http://www.ram-mount.com/laptop_moun...aptop_desk.htm

I finally got my xB and i'm going to try to make a custom homemade laptop mount for it. I have a tiny laptop so it shouldn't be too bad!

If and when I make the mount, I'll post a write-up so everyone can make one... ;]
- shook
Old 01-11-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

lol i can't believe they make one for the xB >_<;

If you're looking for it to be more out of the way i'd suggest getting a smaller touchscreen in your dash and making a small stand for the laptop to sit on under the passenger seat.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

go with the 7" touch - for a clean finish there's that ad at the top of the page that comes up for the in dash mounted screen (if you dont feel diy)

glad to c another Desi with a scion - and i thought i was the only one :D
Old 01-14-2006, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been thinking of doing the same thing, although it looks bulky, i'd like to see how it looks in an xB.

EDIT... Anyone try this mount, found it on ebay at... http://www.mobilelaptopmount.com/
Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ...

Originally Posted by crayonBOX
glad to c another Desi with a scion - and i thought i was the only one :D

The scions (xa. xb, tc) are cheap as hell - it was only a matter of time til us indians found out about it!!!

lol - cool man. I have an h2 but the gas mileage on it sucks. It's gr8 to attract the ladies but that's about it. when I want to take long trips, i've always gotten a rental instead! the xB is so hot - so roomy - so comfortable - i'm never getting a rental again! lol

ps - where state are you in?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i dont know what to tell you about the internal/external gps - i have an external one which i love. I think my next car might have the internal one but I knew that within the next few years they will be comming out with some great new advances in the gps technology (so i got the external). Think about your situation. Do you mind the external piece on your dash?... How much do you plan on using it? (thats not really a fair question because once you get it you will be using it more then what you planned). Can you spend $1,600 or will a good $850 external unit be ok? Trust me - the external units are sweet (the high end ones). The only difference might be the screen size and that its not built into the dash. If you are going for looks - then get the internal one. Its a lot easier and its always right there infront of you. If you are going to be using it once a month to get to dinner or something .... the external one is still sweet and will get you to where you need to be.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
i dont know what to tell you about the internal/external gps - i have an external one which i love. I think my next car might have the internal one but I knew that within the next few years they will be comming out with some great new advances in the gps technology (so i got the external). Think about your situation. Do you mind the external piece on your dash?... How much do you plan on using it? (thats not really a fair question because once you get it you will be using it more then what you planned). Can you spend $1,600 or will a good $850 external unit be ok? Trust me - the external units are sweet (the high end ones). The only difference might be the screen size and that its not built into the dash. If you are going for looks - then get the internal one. Its a lot easier and its always right there infront of you. If you are going to be using it once a month to get to dinner or something .... the external one is still sweet and will get you to where you need to be.
Good points - i don't plan on using the GPS like daily or anything like that. I plan on taking some nice long trips and that's why I pick the laptop + MS streets and trips over the internal or external units. Not only gps though, the laptop provides everything else I need - music, movies, internet, if i have work to do, etc.

I am cheap as hell and the reason i dont like the external or internal units is because of their prices. the microsoft maps software + gps device cost me $105. It does ---ALMOST--- everything that one of the internal/external units does. It has voice dictation of upcoming turns/exits. For my needs, I think this is fine. The only problem is mounting the laptop.

Another thing - living in nyc, if you leave anything "appealing" (in the car) in the neighborhoods that i'm in, you won't find it when you come back. that's the good part about the external gps units and the laptop. the laptop option, as well as the external gps option, both have this as a plus.

The way I want it setup - i will carry the laptop to the car whenever i need it. inside the car, i will only have to hook up 3 wires to be ready: the power (coming from the AC invertor), the aux audio cable, and the USB gps cable. that's it! i can hide the cables or run them in a discrete location so no one will know the difference. when you look through the window, it will look like a regular xb with a stock radio =]

I'm going for 3 things: functionality, best bang for the buck, and easy hide-a-bility (i think i just made up a word... ). It looks silly to have a laptop by the dash but then again, it's so useful that the appearance is overshadowed by it's capability EASILY! =]