Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

My Carputer Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnnyicesae
Originally Posted by Chimmy3

Laptops are more upgradable than that mini mac is likely to be also.
In what way would laptops be more upgradable? The Mac mini RAM is upgradable with Desktop ram(ie cheaper), Has a desktop HD(cheaper and easier to find but does suffer the problems you've talked about) Only things that can't be upgraded on the Mac Mini are the Video card and the Proc.

Now there are only a handful of Laptops out that allow the Processor and/or the Video to be changed. Off the top of my head i can name 2 that can be upgraded like that Apples old G3 powerbook(had to send it away but it could be done (proc only) ) and the Alienware (could have been voodoo) laptop (first laptop with upgradable graphics, no proc to my knowledege)

Now how exactly is a laptop more expandable then the Mac Mini? Or are you just talking out of your ___?
you can't change out laptop parts?

ever hear of a screwdriver?

yeesh.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

thanks Placebo

yall need to get off the laptop and mini mac idea, thats not what is going down
Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry boombox for hijackin your thread. let me bring it back a bit:

You don't need a mod chip to install linux on your x box.

You can run any OS you want... You'll just have to run it on top of linux. A lot of people actually run windows on top of linux (linux is more stable, so when your windows crashes.. it doesn't actually crash the comp...). This of course requires additional space and some sort of vm ware.

You can do a total conversion (where you won't be playing any xbox games). But that's prolly not what you want.

You can pretty much find all the info you need here:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/Main_Page

Another good read is here:
http://www.savetz.com/articles/cpu_m....php?sort=date

The latter link has several good links for additional exploration of what you want to do.... NOTE that M$ is on to some of these techniques and is making ways to prevent you from doing what you want via xbox live!!! so watch out, though they have found a way around that.

I'd seriously consider building a new hdd (i.e. larger hdd) since you can install much more that way and if that hdd dies you still have the original as back up (instead of being stuck with a dead box). You can do so with the same mechassault vulnerability (without needing to mod):
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/l...d-unmodded.php
Old 01-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

thanks
Old 05-20-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Anyone ever thought about using and embedded system? You could still use an optical drive, USB ports, all peripherals, but there would be no moving parts or heat from a HDD. Something like an ITX board, compact flash to hold the embedded OS (windows, a version of Linux, or whatever floats your boat) because CF will work just like the HDD on an IDE channel. This would NOT work for games, but it would be fine for playing movies (use a slot loading slim DVD player), playing mp3's from a usb drive or other mp3 player, GPS, internet, and mild computing applications if you really wanted to do anything else in your car.

I'm personally going to try this route and see how it works, using probably an 8" touch screen, although they're available in almost any size you like. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

having modded my xbox (not running a linux OS, just a dashboard), it could work in the car. you can set it up, if you just want xbox and movies/music, to be run from a controller, and i think they sell a usb adapter to use a keyboard/mouse combo on it. You can buy a flexible keyboard (LINK HERE) and a little laptop mouse and keep it somewhere safe until you need it (or have it ready for constant use).
Getting OS's onto the xbox can be a pain in the groin, and make sure if u do that u can flash ur bios on the spot (as in have a backup bios, as on my xecuter3)

definitely worth a look-see.... keep us posted
Old 05-22-2005, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="cad455"][quote="johnnyicesae"]
Originally Posted by Chimmy3
you can't change out laptop parts?

ever hear of a screwdriver?

yeesh.
Sure you can change out parts. But upgrading them? You can't really go out and buy a brand-new video card and put one in there.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Running linux on the xbox is pretty much useless. I've done it and it's not only slow (the xbox is only 733 mhz) its a hassle to start up and get running. A modded xbox is great with xbmc or evox but pretty much useless as a pc. Beleive me its overrated.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by liquidscion
wow
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member

What would be the easiest and most versatile way to set up a carputer where you had the ability to watch dvd's, and access your mp3 files...I was thinking about how great it would be to have a sceen(or multiple) that you would be able to use windows(or any other) media player on and possibly have a tuner as am/fm tuner as well?

if this is a ridiculously stupid question I am sorry but Im not too hip on the computer stuff...I know how to use the internet!!!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SWiSS
pardon.. the first second u burn a game onto your xbox.. its not legal. but if i had the money, i'd do it.
This is kinda true but.....

It is legal to take a game you OWN (as in bought and can produce the disk) and copy it to you xBox......think of it in a license sense...when you buy software or a music cd you are allowed to make copies for YOUR personal use to keep the original in a safe place...

It is however illegal to rent a game or download it and then burn it to your xbox and play it.....
Old 05-25-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For carpc info-----> www.mp3car.com

The easiest and cheapest setup is just a 3.5" hd, mini itx mobo, touchscreen, m1-atx power supply, and slim dvd-rom drive. The biggest differences between a desktop and a carpc setup and a desktop is a touchscreen and the power supply. If you don't know how to build a desktop computer, it probably isn't the best idea to tackle the carpc.