Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

My LAPTOP IN A BOX setup -Tablets rock ur sox!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My LAPTOP IN A BOX setup -Tablets rock ur sox!

Well, finally, I took some pics of my "Computer in Car"... As I've said a couple of times on this forum, I live in NYC, and there is no way in hell I'm leaving a computer in my car...

My only requirements for a Computer in car were:
1) easily portable - I can mount and dismount the unit within a minute
2) when i disconnect everything, my dashboard looks STOCK!!!
3) i wanted gps, video, mp3s and a usb web/backup camera (im gonna do this mod last)

This isn't a "true" carputer setup because it's removable and not permentantly mounted in my xB, but this is what i wanted. this solution saves on space (so i dont have an ugly case hogging up precious space), this is entirely removable, when the laptop is not mounted, the interior of the xB will look absolutely bone stock, and on and on... there were a ton of reasons why i went with a laptop over the desktop alternative. I liked this solution! i accomplished what i wanted to!

Here is a quick rundown of the setup...

1 - These are the only cables that my current computer setup needs: The power cable for the laptop, the USB GPS locator and the auxillary audio cable w/ gold plated ends.

2 - this is the laptop i am using - its an ibm x41 laptop - tiny as hell, 12.1" screen, without battery, it weighs about 2.7 lbs!!!!

The main reason why this unit is perfect for this setup - when you fold the screen back, it goes back an entire 180 degrees!

I start off by connecting the ac invertor to the cigarette lighter. I also stick the "brick" portion of my laptop power supply into the cubby hole located under the temp controls...

With the laptop screen folded back 180 degrees, i now place the base of the laptop between the cubby door opening and the door itself. I now simply connect the power, usb gps locater and auxillary cables and that's it! i now have a carputer!

This is what it looks like when i close the laptop screen...

For now, the setup is a little ugly for 2 reasons:

1) the USB GPS locator wire is all over the place. im using the suction cup to hold the locater against the windshield... a little ugly.... same with the aux audio cable - i just have it running from the connecter (by the e brake) to the laptop...

my solution for the cable mess? I EVENTUALLY want to run the 2 cables into the dash and under the carpet (for the audio)... I will drill a hole in the bottom of the small cubby hole above the glove compartment... eventually, i want the 2 wires to be retractable and accessable like this:

This way, when im not using them, they can stay inside the cubby! everything will look stock!!! and when i am using these cables, only about 8" of them will be visible - the rest is inside the dash! mad clean!

2) for now, the laptop is just leaning against the temp controls. ghetto? yes. but i am trying to find a piece of plastic (even like black bunjee cord) to hold the laptop against the temp controls tightly (relax, this is only my temporary fix). i would hook the 2 ends of the cable/cord to the 2 air vents and the main body of the cable would be on the laptop, beneath the monitor (since it sticks out over the base).... i know, this is the ugliest part of the installation but since it's a temporary fix, i accept it. =] functationality over looks at this point.

The temporary solution to "brace' the laptop should look something like the following -

The dealer can kiss my ___ for asking me for $2,900 for navigation installed. I am using microsoft streets and trips 2006 with gps locater. It's not as good as the factory navigation - i admit this freely - but for $105 (vs. $2,900) - it's not so facking bad. not to mention, i have over 900 songs on it, 100 music videos, like 5 movies, episodes of beavis and butthead, topgear, etc all on this unit with a crapload of diskspace to spare!

-----------------------------------------------------

I am, however, still in the process of making a nice mount for the unit - which will be based, again, within the cubby hole.

All the mount will be is a bended piece of metal that is about 6" wide - enough to hold my 10" wide laptop. The sheet of metal that i am using is very flexible - you can bend it by hand - but sturdy enough to keep it's shape. this is the sheet of metal i am planning on using-

When I am done with it, it will look like the following. The metal mount is shown in my half-assed drawning in red... Please use your imagination and read everything on the picture - it'll make it a lil easier to understand - I HOPE!

After bending to the desired shape, I am going to cover the metal with a black fabric so it wont scratch up the laptop or the cubby hole - plus it'll match the interior.

Let me know what you guys this so far! haters and people who like my setup and plans should be free to comment! it's all gravy!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet set up. ever consider a tablet pc? i have one at work and you could definately use it as a carputer with a large screen display. props
Old 01-31-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shinkuu
sweet set up. ever consider a tablet pc? i have one at work and you could definately use it as a carputer with a large screen display. props
i absolutely considered the tablet. I dont like the quality/feel of the screens - plus i had bought this unit even before considering a tablet! heh... it would have definitely been a little cleaner with a tablet but i am happy as hell with the results with this model... 1 gig of ram, loads all maps and movies like a high end desktop. sound quality is off the hook (depending on the rip of the movie/song), etc. i can not say enough good things about this setup. i have a few people jealous right now! hahahaha
Old 01-31-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

404 carputer not found
Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion05BOPxB
404 carputer not found
Kindly elaborate, friend!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump! ;]
Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmm, not really a fan. That is way too distracting to the driver and not very practical unless you soend hours on the road at a time. Plus...that thing is a projectile during a fender bender. Congrats on the DIY though.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cierrecart
Hmmmm, not really a fan. That is way too distracting to the driver and not very practical unless you soend hours on the road at a time. Plus...that thing is a projectile during a fender bender. Congrats on the DIY though.

Exactly my thoughts. At least a drivesoft isn't so obstructive.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Nice setup. It reminds me of the computers most cop cars have these days.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
404 carputer not found
while you have a computer, in your "car" a carputer it does not make. Anyone can put a laptop somewhere and come up with a fancy name... as in check out my new "Toiletputer" mounted right next to the toilet paper roll. :p

A carputer, by definition, "lives" in the car... or at least by any definition I've ever seen.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks kinda geeky to me.....
Old 02-01-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always tinkered with the idea of installing a carputer. That sure isnt what i had in mind, but you have your reasoning... put it to work.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

a swing arm from the space above the glove box is cool....

but i have my slim ps2 mounted there, so thats a no can do for me.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the "toiletputer" comment has to be the funniest thing i have ever read on this board before. I almost fell out of my chair laughing
Old 02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default nice

Looks good. I like the portability of a laptop, without having to hardwire a true "carputer." I was thinking of getting one of the VIP tables for the passenger side to have my wife use the laptop for navigation. She is a great navigator, and the MSN streets and trips looks like it will do the trick. We travel quite a bit, all through the great lakes region as well as the south. Never gotten lost, but have made a wrong turn or two. Also, I do not like the idea of leaving something like that in the box over night, parked in a hotel parking lot.....spooky. And, you can take it inside, watch movies without paying the outrageous rates the hotels charge.

Again, nice set up and nice job.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member

I work out of my xB all day long and a couple years ago I bought a mobile compter desk top for it. It has a base that bolts to the passanger front seat rail, aircraft aluminum adjustable pedistal arm, 400 watt power inverter, 110V, 12V and several USB's built into the base and blue tooth. It only takes 10 minutes to install the small out of the way base and less than 10 seconds to remove the desk top and pedistal. The passanger can even sit there and play computer games or watch movies while I drive. Check out this website and you can see what I;m talking about. www.a2zsolutions.com
Old 02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
404 carputer not found
while you have a computer, in your "car" a carputer it does not make. Anyone can put a laptop somewhere and come up with a fancy name... as in check out my new "Toiletputer" mounted right next to the toilet paper roll. :p

A carputer, by definition, "lives" in the car... or at least by any definition I've ever seen.
Thanks for the clarification - Im no longer calling this a carputer setup since it's not like a hard-wired solution as with most other computer-in-car solutions.

I appreciate everyones feedback on this. I will run the wires into the dash and carpet and update this post with newer pictures of my TOILETPUTER --- errr I mean computer in car --- installation.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

lol^^

Good idea for a "portable" setup. I'd hate to live in NY if shiz gets stolen that easily that u can't put a full carPC in (among other things). Good luck making the mount and stuff, should be a decent setup once it's done, probably not show worthy but definitely cool for daily driving.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rebelMan
lol^^

Good idea for a "portable" setup. I'd hate to live in NY if shiz gets stolen that easily that u can't put a full carPC in (among other things). Good luck making the mount and stuff, should be a decent setup once it's done, probably not show worthy but definitely cool for daily driving.
I had some jackass break into my hummer - meanwhile I had nothing of value in it. I think they saw the truck and assumed i had tv's or some sorta system in there. all they did was open my center console and glove compartment and threw everything around in the car....

in nyc, you can't have anything nice - unless you have a garage - and even then, someone will manage to fack it up somehow - i garuntee it.

when i had my grand national, i parked it on the street, and ever couple of facking days, i would come back to it and notice a new scratch on it or a dent, busted light, etc. AND IM IN A (relatively) GOOD FACKING NEIGHBORHOOD...
Old 02-01-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

Sucks man, good luck to u and your hood ... i'm glad it isn't nearly as bad down here (granted ignorant hicks are a pain sometimes too)

Quick Reply: My LAPTOP IN A BOX setup -Tablets rock ur sox!