Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need an anti-theft device you can count on? Check this out..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default Need an anti-theft device you can count on? Check this out..

I highly recommend the Ravelco anti-theft device. When I went to get mine installed last week, a guy before me had one put on his 2004 Corvette. If he's using this device to protect that car, our xBs should be in good hands. :D

After researching a lot of different options, I found out that Ravelco has been around for over 28 years and have millions of installations worldwide. And, not one vehicle equipped with the Ravelco anti-theft device has ever been stolen.

The Ravelco anti-theft device is relatively inexpensive at $299.95 (plus tax).

Here's a brief description:

Where can I purchase this anti-theft device? If you're interested in this device and you live in the Northeast, contact Dave [ dave@northeastravelco.com ] and he'll be happy to answer any of your questions. Tell him Dylan sent you and he'll take care of you. :D

For more information...

Here are some pictures of the Ravelco anti-theft device installed on my xB:

Ravelco key plugged in.

Ravelco key taken out.

If you have any questions, let me know.
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:09 PM
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

A customer of mine was just asking me if I would start installing those. I just don't think that I could bring myself to attaching that thing to my dash.
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:17 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

This might stop the casual joyrider, but I don't see how having this plug in the car will stop a thief with a tow truck. Pro thieves don't start the car!

For this reason, I sincerely doubt the claim that no car equipped with this device has been stolen. It just doesn't make sense.
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS
      Scion Evolution

I might put that in my car ... but it'd have to be hidden somewhere... the key just looks like some cancerous growth growing out of the dash
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:29 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by George
      This might stop the casual joyrider, but I don't see how having this plug in the car will stop a thief with a tow truck. Pro thieves don't start the car!
      George, maybe you would be interested in this device then. I'm sure it would help prevent most car thieves with a tow truck:

Of course, if you really want to be safe, why not just remove your tires and put the car on blocks when you park it.

It's ridiculous, I know, but I bet there are more potential joy-riding carjackers than professional thieves--at least those with their eyes on our cars. No anti-theft device is full-proof and Ravelco doesn't claim to be. If they did, I'd be highly suspect. The goal, however, is to prevent theft by increasing the difficulty and time required to take your car.

George, what anti-theft device do you have installed?
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:33 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by MrSmiley
      I might put that in my car ... but it'd have to be hidden somewhere... the key just looks like some cancerous growth growing out of the dash
      I know, it's not very pretty. But if you hide it, what kind of deterence will it provide? The Ravelco installer recommended that it be placed in a somewhat visible place; otherwise, you might risk someone attempting to steal your car who gets frustrated by not being able to and then vandalizes your car. I'd rather have them see it and skip my car...
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:36 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS
      Scion Evolution

his piont was questioning the claim that no car has been stolen that had that device... not that it's a waste of money .... read the whole post b4 jumping on someone next time ...

well, I'd still have an alam system, even with that device ... loud noise and not being able to start a car sould do the trick ... but even at that ... anyone who is intent on stealing the car... is either going to suceed or tear the whole dash apart trying
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:52 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS

Hey now... relax everyone. No one is jumping on anyone. If that's how I came across, then I'm sorry. (It's easy to misread the emotions or intent behind written text, I know, but my response was light-hearted and in a joking manner--hence the funny picture of the cop in front of a tire lock.)

Anyhow, I was just addressing the issue about how the Ravelco would not prevent against someone with a tow truck wanting to steal your car. I wasn't disputing his belief that the "no car stolen" claim may not be true. Even if it isn't, I'm sure there are many, many more claims proving that other anti-theft devices like car alarms have not prevented car thieves from stealing them.

So, George, if you thought I was jumping on you, I'm sorry. The only reason I participate in bulletin boards like this is to share information and learn from others. If I want to ____ someone off, there are many other ways I can do that (like pulling up in front of someone in an Element and rolling down my back windows and smiling or driving up alongside someone in a Ford Explorer whose head touches the car's ceiling and lifting my hands over my head showing off the expanse of space above me.)
      Old 03-17-2004, 02:58 PM
      5 Year Member

Default Unless you have an audible

Unless you have an audible alarm, someone is in your car, undeterred, butchering your steering wheel lock before giving up.

Also, since this alarm is relatively rare, amateur thieves might not even recognize this system regardless of where it is placed, and break your window. (not even a flashing light, that mosts systems use?!!?!).

I had one of these 'second key' systems on my Honda CRX and the car was broken into AND the streering wheel maulled, after that, I learned the plus and minuses of this system.

A less expensive system would have saved me alot of interior damage (and a flashing light might have even deterred the broken window.)

This is a decent enough idea, not taken to the degree needed to offer adequate protection, IMHO. That combined with price seals the deal for me.

regards,
      Paul
      Old 03-17-2004, 03:06 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS

Paul, you and MrSmiley have make good points about needing an audible alarm. I was actually thinking about getting one, but since I have this device, I wouldn't need a fancy, expensive car alarm--just one that works well and doesn't go off when someone brushes up against your car slightly or when there's thunder in the area.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a decent, inexpensive and reliable car alarm?
      Old 03-17-2004, 03:31 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Originally Posted by Dylan
      George, maybe you would be interested in this device then. I'm sure it would help prevent most car thieves with a tow truck:

Of course, if you really want to be safe, why not just remove your tires and put the car on blocks when you park it.
      Naah, just install a couple of these:

It's ridiculous, I know, but I bet there are more potential joy-riding carjackers than professional thieves--at least those with their eyes on our cars. No anti-theft device is full-proof and Ravelco doesn't claim to be. If they did, I'd be highly suspect. The goal, however, is to prevent theft by increasing the difficulty and time required to take your car.
      That would depend upon the stolen parts market. If demand is high (and it is for a new car that isn't in the wrecking yards yet) then the pro thieves will be the most prominent. Awfully hard to fight them, as they just drag the car up on a flatbed, alarm blaring, and people ignore them.

George, what anti-theft device do you have installed?
      That is a topic I don't discuss. Thieves are on the 'net too.

George
      Old 03-17-2004, 03:58 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      Scion Evolution

im not an electronic expert, but can't i just reach behind the plug like where th fusebox is and just cut the wires or connect them together to make it work again?

plus most of the time they just wanna silence the car, aka UNPLUG BATTERY, they'll jack eveyrthing outta the car or just push it down the street and jack it.

for that price i rather get a regular alarm and some kinda AUTOLOC thing.
      Old 03-18-2004, 01:35 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member

SL Member
      Team ScioNRG

Gps tracking installed with "tamper notification"... aka other sensors then just the doors.
      This system will call your cellphone/house/work when tampered... it must be installed by a highly skilled installer or will false all the time and you will be charged per use...
      Old 03-18-2004, 03:05 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Default What about llojack?

Your car goes byby you can find it. Also have units with motion sensers and such that will page you if the car is moved!
      Old 03-18-2004, 03:52 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

i think the main thing to worry about is the casual/novice joy rider or criminal. most stolen car attempts are from people of this nature.
      Old 03-18-2004, 04:42 AM
      5 Year Member
      Scikotics
      SL Member

Default Re: What about llojack?

Originally Posted by dulcimoo
      Your car goes byby you can find it. Also have units with motion sensers and such that will page you if the car is moved!
      GPS Tracking ROCKS.... find it, start it, unlock it, kill it any time, anywhere, 24/7.

As for the "ultimate" security system... if they can make it, they can brake it.
      Old 03-18-2004, 05:07 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member

SL Member
      Scion Evolution

And even if you had the perfect alarm, eventually you'd have to turn it off to get in and they'd jack your a$$...
      Old 03-18-2004, 05:53 AM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
      im not an electronic expert, but can't i just reach behind the plug like where th fusebox is and just cut the wires or connect them together to make it work again?
      This plug re-routes and scrambles several of the wires that make the car go. Figuring out which wire connects to which is not an easy proposition. You'd be more likely to connect the wrong wires together and kill the CPU.

You could make a poor-man's version of this system from a multi-pin plug and socket of the sort found at Radio Shack. An 8-pin socket would allow you to scramble 4 circuits, yielding a huge number of combinations.

Originally Posted by hahajoey
      plus most of the time they just wanna silence the car, aka UNPLUG BATTERY, they'll jack eveyrthing outta the car or just push it down the street and jack it.
      It would be a good idea to install a separate hood lock on any alarm system. It would also be a good idea to install a second alarm speaker under the dash. Hard to work on shutting the alarm off with 120dB in your ears!

George
      Old 03-18-2004, 01:20 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member

SL Member
      Team ScioNRG

You can also put sirens/air horns inside your car
      You can also Have a real INSTALL in your car.... but then they'll find a way to jack the entire car

There is also a sensor that makes your alarm go off if your car is getting towed...

2 way pager, gps, a computer to track your car at will, neighbors that are cops... and a 38 that's my defense

BTW alarms help slow theives down, They don't guarantee protection
      Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
      10 Year Member
      5 Year Member
      SL Member
      sIcKsCiOnS

its actually been observed that the stickers are what make a big difference in deterring a criminal before they decide they want your car.

if i see a sticker for something on the window, i'll be less likely to bust it if it says "150 db glass break alarm and GPS tracking" on the drivers side window then i'm sure as hell not going to break the window :D

put it this way... its better that they don't consider it than if they break the window, tear up your dash and find out they aren't getting it.

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Need an anti-theft device you can count on? Check this out..