Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need Help Choosing A Moon Roof For xB

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I want a sunroof too, but not sure which I want more, the roof or custom leather interior..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

You can get a ragtop too..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought they dont put the ragtops on anymore.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ragtopsunroofs.html

check out the 40" x 80" ragtop! Sweeet!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ragtopsunroofs.html

check out the 40" x 80" ragtop! Sweeet!
Does our roof even have that much space on it? Well I'm sure it has 40" across, but without having measured it, I'm thinkin 80" long would be cutting it close if an xB had that. Unless you just wanted people to look at it but not for xB's
Old 10-11-2006, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Lol, yea I know. They have shorter ones, but I was just saying they have very long ones too
Old 10-11-2006, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Iculook34, are you looking to install it yourself? If so, this might be helpful https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32027 This guy SmartAss has a really nice box
Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the ideas and comments.... Happybonbon I don't think I have the SAC to cut into my own roof
So no I would be looking at having someone install it for me...

Second Whiteblazer01 thanks for bringing up streetbeat... I forgot that they were downtown here in phx... Have you called and found any info out from them or were you just googling and found them...? Thx anyways no matter how you found them..
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

No problem,

Actually, I know about streetbeat from a long time ago. I actually have a...uh...blazer So I know about them.

But yeah, they're good. I'm sure they can refer a good installer in the area.

P.S. my good friend is from AZ (I think Phoenix or Scottsdale... I forget), but he goes there often. One of these days I'm going to go with him. He's always calling me from there telling me I'm missing out...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You aint missing that much It's a great place to vist, but kinda boring if your not Loaded and living in Scottsdale or Eating Microwave Pizzas and living in the dorms on Campus But yeah you should rollout one time there's a ton of great spots for pics of the rides and there's a Sh*t load of tC's & xB's rolling around here. Thanks again for the tip and holla if you are ever heading this way!

Later!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
... A word of warning if you decide to get one and your car is lowered. Make sure they check the drain tubes very thoroughly for all conditions particularly when first moving the car after being wet. I had a lot of problems because the rear drain tubes would fill up and when I would start moving the water would rush back out of the tubes and soak my headliner. I have Tein S-Techs and that changed the level of the car so they didn't drain properly.
Do Tien S-Tech springs really make the car unlevel? Like a forward or backward rake?
Your sunroof installer may have pinched a tube, or gotten some debris in it, or at worst, jammed a tube down too far, pressing the open end against a flat surface in the fenderwell or rocker panel, so it could not drain. In fact, the installation instructions probably gave a length to cut each drain tube, and with the shorter springs, all the tubes were too long, but it only caused a problem with the rear tubes.
If the drain tubes in the four corners are all open and free to drain, it should not matter what springs you have or what slopes you park on. I have a Webasto Hollandia similar to yours, and I do not need to park on the level when it rains.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The S-Techs bring the front down more. It was enough to through things off. They had to reroute the tubes in the end but I had it at their shop many many many many many times to work on. They recovered the headliner because of water damage.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
...the installation instructions probably gave a length to cut each drain tube, and with the shorter springs, all the tubes were too long, but it only caused a problem with the rear tubes....
Actually, the springs could not affect the tubes that terminate inside the car, only the the tubes that protrude from under the car and might come down on some suspsension member. As I remember, my installer said the front tubes discharge inside the rocker panels which then have drain holes, and the rear tubes discharge to daylight in the rear somewhere. I never looked.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The S-Techs bring the front down more. It was enough to through things off. They had to reroute the tubes in the end but I had it at their shop many many many many many times to work on. ...
You might have the answer there. Rerouting of front tubes means the problem was not related to the level of the car (and springs). The front tubes can only be routed down inside the A-pillars. They got a tube pinched or blocked or dead-ended against something, either in the A-pilllar, or on the way down through the body, or at the bottom tip which I think ends inside the rocker panel.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

They rerouted the rear tubes. The tubes went almost straight back then down the furthest rear support and out the air vents. The water would fill up in the tube when sitting and when I'd move the car it couldn't drain out in the direction is was supposed to fast enough and the catch tray was full so it would dump in the headliner.

They said my XB was the only one they had that problem with. As far as I know mine was the only lowered XB they put a sunroof in.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They rerouted the rear tubes. The tubes went almost straight back then down the furthest rear support and out the air vents. The water would fill up in the tube when sitting and when I'd move the car it couldn't drain out in the direction is was supposed to fast enough and the catch tray was full so it would dump in the headliner. ...
It sounds like the problem was caused by sags in the horizontal runs of tubing, which provided a place for water water to accumulate. If there was positive drainage with no sags, water would all run out of the tubes instead of lying in the tubes.

The problem is not the fault of the springs. If the springs make the front of the car lower, then the water will go to the front tubes, just as if you had parked facing downhill. The problem is whenever water goes to the rear tubes, the car must be pointed uphill or else some water will stand in the sags.

I assume that my tubes must be routed the way yours were, which must be the standard way. And sags or imperfect horizontal drainage may either be inherent, or the result of normal workmanship, so that all sunroof xBs could have the same leak problem. Maybe I have escaped it only because I have not yet parked the car on level ground in enough rain to fill the sagging tubes.

Where were your rear tubes re-routed? Is there some other way besides to the rear and out the vents? Or does re-routing mean they just worked the sags out?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here’s mine. Its by Webasto, install subcontracted to ASC by the dealer.
Inside, fully open:

tilted:

from above, open:
Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Where were your rear tubes re-routed? Is there some other way besides to the rear and out the vents? Or does re-routing mean they just worked the sags out?
The said they routed them straight to the side and down the B-pillar so there would be little to no horizontal length of tubing for the water to stand in.

My reasoning for believing the springs had something to do with it is because OEM XBs are slightly higher in the front which would provide a slight angle for the rear tubes to drain. Since the Teins even that out there wasn't the angle to help the drainage. That could all be garbage. It may just be the installer was an idiot and they had no clue what was going on. Whatever they did the last time worked.

I had enough problems that I'll never ever ever install an aftermarket sunroof in car again. I'll just have to stick my head out the window and let me tongue hang out if I want more air.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They said they routed them straight to the side and down the B-pillar so there would be little to no horizontal length of tubing for the water to stand in. ...
Glad to know the rear tubes can be routed either down the B pillar or back and down to the vents. My installer mentioned at the time that the rears went into the rocker panels, so I am hoping that means down the B pillars with no horizontal runs to hold water.