Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need help installing System

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default Need help installing System

Me and my friend tried all afternoon yesterday to install 4 10inch Kickers into my scion xB and could not get it to work. We used an Rc adapter to connect my JBL amp to the stock head unit, ran all the neccessary wires through the car, and hooked up to a good ground and still are unable to get the amp to turn on. We believe the problem might be with the remote wire. Does anybody know which wire in the head unit has power so we can hook up the remote wire to it? WE tried the black with red stripe and the white with black stripe and it still does not work. IT could also be the amp but my friend doesnt think the amp is the problem because 3 days ago he hooked it up to his system and said that it works. However his amp has given him problems before and he sent it back to the company to get it looked at and fixed and the company said that there is no problem with the amp. Anybody have any clue as to what the problem could be? Maybe I need to get a new head unit or RC adapter?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need Help Installing System

Hello,

What RCA adapter did you buy to do this install? Almost all installers and stereo makers use a blue wire for remote turn on. Check all connections and if it has a blue wire connect it too this wire and it should work. Hope this helps.

John

jallamas
Old 06-21-2005, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member

Yes the remote turn on wire is a blue wire, but which wire do I connect it to? Im not sure if we had krimped the remote turn on wire to the correct power wire
Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Do you think that I would need a new head unit? Or possibly the amp is bad and I need a new one?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you used a an RCA converter, it should have had the
remote turn on connection with it.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need Help Installing System

First off, what adapter did you use? If its the ones you see on ebay it will have a blue wire coming from it, take the remote wire which is blue from the adapter and connect it from the remote amp turn on wire. If this does not work check all connections and the ground wire.

John

jallamas
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member

o snap ok. I'll give that a try i'll get back to ya thank you
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member

Also just a quick queston. Do Sony Xplode speakers, subs, and amps suck?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I did the same thing. What you need to do is go into the wiring harness for the radio, and I cant remember which harness it is but if i remember right, its the grey wire. Its the wire that tells the radio that it can turn on only when the car is on, so when you hook it up, the amp will only be on when the radio is on and the car on. That way your amp isnt always running and making all kids of heat. DO NOT CUT IT! Just splice the remote wire into it. I also installed a kill switch in the remote line (blue wire) to the amp, that way if a cop rolls up, you just need to hit a switch to kill the subs and not turn off your radio. But thats just me, my bass is always boomin. :D

Ill take a look at my car tomorrow to make sure, but as of now, I think Im pretty sure about that, the GREY wire.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Sony?

Originally Posted by DavieJimbo
Wow that's a loaded question
Old 06-22-2005, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My advice, if you can get em at Wal-Mart, dont. Go to a local Car Audio shop and talk to people. Im sure they will be happy to help. . . Just dont ask them that question.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they sell pioneer at walmart ......
Old 06-22-2005, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

Well, I asked about the sony merchandise because my friend works for Sony at the main headquarters in Ft. Myers and he can get me any sony products for cheap as heck and brand new too. I can get a 1400W Mono amp for $175 and a new whole speaker set for another $190 - $220, and I can get 2 15s for like $150. Let alone the head unit that has a 6.5inch flip out monitor for $800. Also Hes getting me a 23inch flip down flat screen tv for the back of my xB for $700 all brand new. So I mean if Sony makes good ____ then Id rather get like 2 15s or 3 12s. Because my friends here all say sony sucks. But the stats on them look raw as heck
Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by I_dont_know
Hey, I did the same thing. What you need to do is go into the wiring harness for the radio, and I cant remember which harness it is but if i remember right, its the grey wire. Its the wire that tells the radio that it can turn on only when the car is on, so when you hook it up, the amp will only be on when the radio is on and the car on. That way your amp isnt always running and making all kids of heat. DO NOT CUT IT! Just splice the remote wire into it. I also installed a kill switch in the remote line (blue wire) to the amp, that way if a cop rolls up, you just need to hit a switch to kill the subs and not turn off your radio. But thats just me, my bass is always boomin. :D

Ill take a look at my car tomorrow to make sure, but as of now, I think Im pretty sure about that, the GREY wire.
Hope that helps.
I quoted because this is good advice IMO (although i cant confirm the wire color)

i didnt trust my wiring adapter that i got --- althorugh it was right. to confirm the wire, you can buy a 3dollar wire tester - it connects to a ground and you touch the tip to the wire harness.. try both with key off (shouldn't have power) and key on (should have power).. bingo..

i got the kill switch too... also good to turn off when you know you are about to park it somehwere for reducing chances of theft
Old 06-22-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks SICK. And it is the Grey wire. If you look on the back of your Head Unit, there will be two plugs. A blue one and a white one. The one on the left (blue) has the grey wire. I have a pic of it. [/img]

Oh, and I do recommend you get wire splices, its a much cleaner job. They are those blue things on the wires. I used a Scoche converter and it worked fine. I got it at Wal-Mart for less than $20. Hasnt given me any problems.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tapped into the wiper fuse for my remote wire, when I was using the stock head unit that is.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you SO much for your help with that problem. However, a new problem hath occured. I connected the Remote wire from the amp (blue) to teh grey power wire on the back of the head unit (grey) and it worked. My 4 10 kickers thump harcore. I regret to say that while I was driving, about 30 seconds of the subs working they stopped. I checked all connections from the amp t teh subs, changed the speaker wire on the subs, reconnected the speaker wire to the amp and checked the remote wire and they still dont work. I thought maybe the subs had blown so I hooked them up to my friend's 1000W amp and they thump. I dont think it is the amp because the amp still turns on. The amp is getting 15W, it could be that the amp is ____ed up and doesnt want to distribute power to the subs but I dont think so. I think one of the crimps that I used for the wires on the RCA adapter came loose or something. I think Im just going to get a new head unit. But that wont be for another week or two and I cant wait that long. But the crimps I have are crapy flea market brands. So Im gunna go to Pep Boys and get good crimps. IF that doesnt work then I dont know what the heck is wrong. Anybody concure or disagree to my assumptions?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you wire the subs correctly? Maybe your amp is seeing too low of a load...impedance wise. Is the amp in protection? Sounds like the problem is with the amp.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DavieJimbo

not trying to derail, but the xplod amps are capable of moving some sub!!! I wouldn't touch the speakers or subs, but I used an xplod 1000w on a single 12" Punch HX2 and hit a 150.4dB out of it with a box I designed....never had a lick of problem with the amp either.....the sub, however, was busting screw heads off....
Old 06-24-2005, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

SCI_TC_GUY thanks for the pointer

AldoRx, I think the amp might be because my other friend did soem dumb ___ ____ with the amp i wanted to punch him. He put a flat head screw driver on the power metal connector and with then put the other side of the screw driver on the ground and it sparked nasty. He did it to see if power was getting to the amp, dumb as it sopunds he did that. This happened before I reconnected the remote wire to the grey wire in the head unit. Amp turns on, no fuses are blown, and the amp turns on so if he knocked it into protection then hes a dick. But anyway, My friend, the owner of the amp, thinks it is in protection because he has the power meter. Thats how I know that the amp is getting p;ower let alone the fact that it turns on, and how the subs arent getting power. So we'll have to get it looked at. I think im just gunna get a better amp maybe.

Quick Reply: Need help installing System