Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New Speedometer, now my ODO Lost 50K miles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New Speedometer, now my ODO Lost 50K miles!

My speedo was unreliable, sometimes not registering, and the tach was off as well.
I bought a used one and it works great, except now the 67,600 miles has dropped to 16, 420 miles.
I have a Scan Guage II and it shows no codes, which I really would not expect, but I had it in my mind that the computer would keep track of the actual vehicle miles. When I changed the car battery several weeks ago the trip milage was lost but the odo milage was still remembered.
I don't want to take it to Toyota cause they will want to soak me a fee to restore I am sure!

Walt
Old 08-16-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea... the odometer reading is stored in the speedo.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh well just add 50k to your mileage in your head. Don't go to Toyota and waste the money.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha , your car's value went up.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just make sure you disclose it when you sell your car.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:55 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
haha , your car's value went up.
i second that!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Value went up, but if you get caught, you are completely screwed. I just signed my title over on Saturday to the new owner, and you have to sign and certify the milage or its fraud!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I was shopping for a car, I pull a car fax on one and did my dads on benz that became mines later that year. Even though the speedo did not work, the local dealer had tracked the miles and reported it at every oil change. So the car fax report listed all the shop visits and running miles, which was like 470 something thousand.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
When I was shopping for a car, I pull a car fax on one and did my dads on benz that became mines later that year. Even though the speedo did not work, the local dealer had tracked the miles and reported it at every oil change. So the car fax report listed all the shop visits and running miles, which was like 470 something thousand.
That's interesting. The last time my car was in a dealership was at 5k miles for an oil change. Since then I have done them all myself. The car has never been in for any other kind of service. The only other people I have told how many miles is when I get my new tag stickers each year. I have to certify on the form how many miles it has on it. I wonder if that info gets into the database for something like carfax?

Not really a point as I plan on keeping the car for several hundred thousand miles anyway.

Walt
Old 08-17-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would change my own oil, but I got the extended warranty and signed up for the lifetime engine warranty with the priorities for life at my local dealer.

Although the oil changes are "free", they charge you like 40 bucks to bring it in to rotate the tires and check the brakes. I was changing mines between changes at the shop, so it was like every 2500 miles.

I plan on keeping my car unless any sales person wants to photo it and sell it on consignment for in return a sale of a prius at full sticker. Needless to say, no one seems interested.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
I would change my own oil, but I got the extended warranty and signed up for the lifetime engine warranty with the priorities for life at my local dealer.

Although the oil changes are "free", they charge you like 40 bucks to bring it in to rotate the tires and check the brakes. I was changing mines between changes at the shop, so it was like every 2500 miles.

I plan on keeping my car unless any sales person wants to photo it and sell it on consignment for in return a sale of a prius at full sticker. Needless to say, no one seems interested.
OK. I take the Xb by a dealer and present them my problem. The service tech scratches his head and then says, "You have to bring us your old speedo unit, the car, and leave it with us for a week. We have to send both units out to a speedometer calibration lab and they set the new one to the proper milage readings." I say "Bull____!" and leave.

Walt
Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would too, just keep that reading in mind if anyone asks and if you fill put any paper work too.

Originally Posted by Newtmaker
I say "bullpoop!" and leave.