Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pics of my custom sub setup...space saver!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pics of my custom sub setup...space saver!!!

Well it took me almost 6 months to post these pics and a few of you wanted to see them so here they are. I built it with space conservation in mind, I often carry a lot of stuff in my trunk and a big box was not an option. I was able to keep my spare tire and design the actual box around the tire and still come up with enough airspace to make this sub thump! My only complaint with how it turned out is the amp rack...although it is nicely tucked out of the way, i am still thinking up another way of mounting it so that it looks a little more trick. I dont want to mount it on the back side of the seats because i often lay down the seats to carry stuff. Any suggestions, ideas, compliments? Let me know what you guys and gals think!

Note the hinges in the above pic allowing me to easily remove the false floor and access the spare tire!

Audiobahn ALUM10N, 800 watt RMS sub

600W Kenwood Amp

This setup really thunders, if you have any questions let me know.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice. im lookin for the bazooka sub box for the tc tho cuz i dont wanna do the custom box and stuff. anybody wanna sell me their bazooka sub i'll be willing to buy if its reasonable. prefer jus the box but if i hav to i'll take the sub too
Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good but is that a sealed enclosure??

How much room do you have to the left of the hinges? maybe you could flush mount the amp there
Old 09-25-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that enclosure looks really hott. Yeah, think of something else for the amp and itll look even better.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Moved to ICE...
Old 09-25-2005, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah, the enclosure it totally sealed. I built it around the spec of the sub, about .5 cubic feet of volume after the sub is installed. It took me a while to find a sub that was shallow enough to work in this application but still have a high enough power rating.

There is not quite enough room to flush mount the amp on the left side. Even if i changed the arrangement i would still have to deal with the jack that is under the left side. The whole point of the enclosure was to retain all of my spare tire components. If anybody would be interested in me making one of these, or similar, for them, let me know and we might be able to work something out.

And mods...I am not trying to sell anything so please dont move it to PPC. I am just trying to show everybody my craftmanship and give others an idea of how they can make their own enclosure!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

NIce! Looks like you accomplished your goal of space conservation. I see the hinges...so the speaker enclosure doesn't hinge up right? Kinda tuff to tell, looks very nice and clean though.

I have two of the same subs (previous model) in a big fat sealed box that takes up basically the whole hatch, which I love, but obviously causes some logistical problems with storage space and all.

I may be interested in copying your setup, if u dont mind, but I'd like to have one sub in each corner, with the amp mounted on my back seat, so I have storage space and access to the spare. How'd you make the enclosure?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

that amp = garbage!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

there's gotta be a better way to hide the amp.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's underneath? Is the actual enclosure made of mdf or fiberglass? Can you flip up the floor an take a couple pics?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by audiobahntc
NIce! Looks like you accomplished your goal of space conservation. I see the hinges...so the speaker enclosure doesn't hinge up right? Kinda tuff to tell, looks very nice and clean though.

I may be interested in copying your setup, if u dont mind, but I'd like to have one sub in each corner, with the amp mounted on my back seat, so I have storage space and access to the spare. How'd you make the enclosure?
Actually the speaker enclosure doesn't hinge up but the portion that the amp is mounted to does so that the floor will actually fit in the trunk. If you wanted to put a sub in each corner it would be way easy, just mirror the right ride to the left and make it hinge a little bit differently. At first I was going to have it hinge in the middle but that wont work because of the "swing" of each side (that is why I had to offset the hinges to one side)!

The spare tire is underneath the mdf floor. The actual box is made of mdf and I'll will take some pics tomorrow if it is not raining.

Originally Posted by 2004_TCM_xB
that amp = garbage!
Yeah I know, that is why I am currently looking for another amp. Although it is not the greatest amp, especially paired with my audiobahn sub, it still hits damn hard! It doesn't have any crossover or filter controlls so it will soon be replaced.