Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

PIE toy03-aux adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

Default PIE toy03-aux adapter

I did a search and didn't find anything that addressed my problem. I used the PIE toy03-aux converter to connect my Sirius sportster reciever to the head unit. It works great when I'm sitting still, but when I move, especially during acceleration, a high pitch sqeal comes from the speakers. The sound is like the sound that comes from an a.m. radio station.

Does anybody know why this would happen?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the pitch go higher as the RPM goes higher? bad grounding maybe?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member

The pitch does go higher as the rpms go higher..so I think you may be right. What do I have to do to fix it?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same adapter - but I have an iPod connected to it. I don't get any whining sound with the revs.

There really isn't a ground to the PIE AUX... I would just be sure all of your connections are secure. Where did you mount the box? I put it on the white plastic right behind the receiver...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just threw my iPod box back behind there, there were enough wires and such it doesn't move or rattle.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to sound obvious but you may want to contact PIE and ask them about this, since they designed it.. from what I'm hearing you say, it's definitely a ground loop problem and grounding the inputs would eliminate it..

i just found this on their website (www.pie.net)

http://www.pie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33

it says that there is a grounding wire on the AUX unit.. and it needs to be grounded. here is what i found.. forget that it's a honda.. same type of setup though..

but if that doesn't help, definitely contact them.. it's a grounding issue..
=======================================================

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:39 pm Post subject: PIE AUX grounding question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've searched these forums for an answer to these two questions, but haven't been able to find anything definitive:

My planned install:

2004 Honda Civic with factory headunit;
30GB iPod;
PIE AUX adapter;
Nyko Stereo Link cable.

Since the iPod has a long battery life, I am not interested in charging (or using DC power) while the unit is in the car.

QUESTION #1:
If I ground everthing correctly using this setup, am I any more likely to experience "ground loop noise" than I would if I installed a charging outfit that was grounded through the cigarette lighter socket?

QUESTION #2:
Is there any risk of the iPod getting "fried" somehow (due to a surge) using my planned install? If so, what kind of fuse or surge protector should be used?

SE-R_03

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If everything is grounded properly, you will not experience any ground loop noise. There will be a black wire on the aux adapter that will need to be grounded if you are not planning on charging your iPod.
There is no risk of damaging your iPod. The adapters are made to prevent this from happening
Old 06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Moved to ICE....
Old 06-08-2005, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What you might want to do is see if the wires (any wires) are too close to a power source. If they are, and you don't have shielded wires (which are really expensive) then you're probably just getting noise crossing over from the power wire. It's fairly comon with people who install amps and run their power wires too close to their RCA or speaker wires.

BTW, a good ground also helps eliminate the problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Had the exact same problem. I contacted logjam electronics and they said it was most likely the power source. I used a different power adapter and it fixed the problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys im really intrested in putting that pie aux thing so where did you guys buy it ? and how much ? as far as installing it is there spliceing requird ?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it's around ~$65, no splicing required... simply plug and play

if you do a search for "PIE toy03-aux" on google, you'll find plenty of vendors.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this adapter the only way to add another unit directly to the HU? As in there aren't either IP-Bus or RCA plugs?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

there are, but very little information from other ppl as to whether they work or not. besides, the alternatives often aren't that much different in price. might as well stick with what's tried and true i suppose
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member

tCinHou...you used a different power adapter for your sattelite radio? did you have to buy something special or just go pick something up at bestbuy
Old 06-08-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sbags
tCinHou...you used a different power adapter for your sattelite radio? did you have to buy something special or just go pick something up at bestbuy
well the one i used was one that had a built in RF modulator that came free with the purchase of the Roady unit. the factory supplied power supply was the one that was the problem so i just used the rf modulator one even though i didn't need the rf modulation part. i would say look up the specs on the volts etc and try to get another one from best buy or radio shack.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you contact PIE and ask them about it?? did you try to ground the PIE adapter?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys just got done installing my aux input thingy lol its a usa spec aux interface model df-toy i highly recommend it and it gives you 2 aux input not just 1 it took me like 30 mins to install also picked up 2 Y stereo adapters
usa spec aux interface $59.99 circuitcity
2 Y stereo adapers $9.99 frys
iriver h10 $299.99 bestbuy
having the ability to store 20GB of music in my car Price Less
Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
did you contact PIE and ask them about it?? did you try to ground the PIE adapter?
no i contacted logjam electronic who i bought it from and they said it wasn't the adapter it was the power supply for my portable. and they were right. i didn't try to ground the adapter because i didn't feel comfortable splicing the proper wire etc.. plus the diff power supply fixed the prob for me.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay well cool so it was the power supply to the sirius unit that wasn't grounding itself correctly.. simple enough fix.. good to know whenever i get my sirius and the aux connector.. glad it worked out
Old 06-09-2005, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member

is there a way to ground the power adapter that came with the sirius reciever...or do I just need to hope that buying a new power adapter works?

Quick Reply: PIE toy03-aux adapter