Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer AVC-N1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pioneer AVC-N1 ?

is this really worth it?

im really thinking about saving up for this the website blew me away with all the features

anyone have the rear camera installed?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a buddies of mines got one and they are TOTALY worth it.. compair what all you need out of another unit to have the same fetures and then add up the $$ best buy for the money deal with having the Nav DVD in while driving only on long trips or you can plot the map then run it off the HD.. also there is a DVD changer available I think and CD changers are obviously available..
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Check out your car audio specialty stores. Im really against big box stores like Best Buy and Circuit City..... They are plug and play people and their warranties are usually crap. $30 pay for the extra factory warranty they offer for free. Plus if you have a problem they tell you to contact Pioneer.

At our store its cheaper installed with the factory 2 year warranty. Plus it only takes us about 1hour to install it.

Please remember warranties they are great, if you get it off the internet and it breaks you will basically be screwed of pay for shipping with no radio for a few months.

But it is a awsome h/u I love the features can hook up a back up camera as well. The thing has guages built in so you can eliminate yours if you want to. I havent had much problems with it just a few options I dont like.

My favorite is the new Eclipse H/U with navigation built in. Fit perfectly into the new scions double din housing. Check them out as well. But you are looking at another $800
The advantage of the Eclipse is a 3 year warranty and also it has a antitheft warranty. If someone steals you $2200 H/U and you get a police report they will replace it for free. Noone else does that.
Of course many other great features 8v RCA outputs and tons of awsome features.

Thanks James
Go-Ho Auto Audio
Old 09-01-2004, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AVIC-N1

I have had this unit for about three months now...It is extremely nice to have an all inclusive unit able to play movies, cd's, mp3's and find directions. I originally had this unit installed in my 2004 Ford Ranger, but traded in the vehicle for my camo 05 xB. Naturally I transfered the unit over and was instantly impressed with how much better the stock speakers sounded in my box. I'm eventually going to transfer over my whole component system which inlcudes Focal seperates, but for now I'm using the stock speakers and I'm quite pleased.

I can't count how many times this unit has saved my ___ when I got lost in a random place. I'm not the best when it comes to remembering directons, so this was a must-have in any car I drive.

The ability to play movies while I drive was a legal choice I made when I installed the unit, my girlfriend mainly watches it while I drive...I will occasionaly glance down at the screen, but it is nice for long drives just to hear the movie playing even though I'm not staring at the screen.

Sound wise the Pioneer has done it's job well. I don't belive the pre-outs are up to par with a higher end Eclipse unit for example, but run through a well made amplifier and quality speakers and subs, you have yourself a nice "total package" unit as I look at it.

In closing, the only gripe I have about the unit is how they designed the navigation input method. You have two cd's, which they call navigation dvd's. You have an East coast and a West coast. Whenever you want to utilize the functions of the units navigation you have to insert one of the cd's and load up whatever directions you want. Now, you can eject the disc after the information has loaded and listen to music, play a movie or whatever...But the drawback is if you want to update your direction, change course or look for another route mid-way you have to stop your movie, eject the disc and insert the navigation cd again...Gets slightly annoying when you are fumbling by yourself on the freeway.

If you have any other questions please ask. I know pretty much all the functions of the unit and how they work.
[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The eclipse one has a seperate slot for the DVD/NAV then the MP3 CD slot so if you listening to music you dont have a problem but if you wanna watch a movie you need to take out the nav. (1 disc for Canada Mexico and USA)

The kenwood has a seperate nav box that hooks up to all their touch screen units the 815/915 and the double dins. Which you would never have to change out the discs.
I think is on 1 disc or 2 now not sure.

Kenwoods is $1600 for the nav alone plus $1200-$2000 Depending on what headunit you go with. Kenwood also has satellite radio if you into that.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pickle the answer to that problem is leave the nav in the hadunit and put CDs DVDs in a changer.. never even think of the HU as having a CD slot..
Old 09-01-2004, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i buy the AVIC N1 do i also need a FM modulator ?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nope why would you?
Old 09-02-2004, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pickle the answer to that problem is leave the nav in the hadunit and put CDs DVDs in a changer.. never even think of the HU as having a CD slot..
I really don't want to add a changer, find a home for it, deal with loading things into it...And especially spend more money than I already have. I do like your suggestion, it just doesn't seem like a route I'd like to go.